What is your weather like right now?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The last few weeks, I've gone to Kroger a couple times to find a lot of empty shelves, especially in the meat department. It was that way today, and I asked the butcher about it, and he said the distribution centers are trying to restock all the stores in Houston that lost power. Plus, all the homes that lost power down there are having to restock their perishable foods.

It is amazing how big an effect a flood in a metropolitan area of six-million people can have hundreds of miles away. It will be interesting to see how States around Florida will be affected by Irma.

CD

Well, I was finally able to actually get to the outage update page for power company now at nearly 2 a.m. we have gone from a ticket affecting 1600 people to ding, ding, ding a lucky 166, which I think is just our little 55 plus community tucked away back here. And that update was from almost 8 last night when I kept trying to get on and re-report because apparently there were "communication issues" per their website and some homes were incorrectly reported as having power.

Last edited:
med, maybe I'm think this way because I'd meet the age requirement for your neighborhood, but I hope they would make a point of restoring power to an area that has a concentration of more senior citizens sooner. After all, the chances of residents needing to keep medications cool, or needing power to run medical devices, would make them flag an area. Then again. I'm thinking logically. :rolleyes:

I hope you guys get juice soon.

I walked out side this AM to get the paper, and it felt like I was walking into a lake. I got so used to the cooler & less humid weather that it was a shock when I walked out the door this AM. Next 3 days in the mid to upper 80's.

It got back up to the low 90s today, and it is really dry -- perfect weather for ragweed pollen distribution.

CD

`We survived the storm. No damage to the house
it got a lot of our trees .It took down 3 giant oak
trees lots of branches from the other trees.
No one got hurt . We got power back yesterday at
noon . I will post pictures later.
Grocery stores have no milk, meat, eggs, or anything
that needs to be refridgerated . But we are good :):)

Josie

Glad to hear it Josie. We still have no power. DD and family got back from NOLA just before midnight. They have power. They didn't lose power long at all. A thing of ice cream on its side in freezer hadn't melted at all. She said lots and lots of semis on road so guess they are working on getting things restocked.

`We survived the storm. No damage to the house
it got a lot of our trees .It took down 3 giant oak
trees lots of branches from the other trees.
No one got hurt . We got power back yesterday at
noon . I will post pictures later.
Grocery stores have no milk, meat, eggs, or anything
that needs to be refridgerated . But we are good :):)

Josie

Thank Goodness, I am so happy knowing you are all right.:):)

Thank Goodness, I am so happy knowing you are all right.:):)
Me too.
hapydancsmil.gif

I read a trick for knowing if your power went out, even if it's back on when you get back. You put a quarter on top of an ice cube in an ice tray in the freezer before you leave. Then when you get back, if the quarter is still on top, no power loss. If it is at the bottom of the ice cube, the power went out. If it is partially sunk into the ice, then the power was off for a lesser amount of time.

Last edited:
I read a trick for knowing if your power went out, even if it's back on when you get back. You put a quarter on top of an ice cube in an ice tray in the freezer before you leave. Then when you get back, if the quarter is still on top, no power loss. If it is at the bottom of the ice cube, the power went out. If it is partially sunk into the ice, then the power was off for a lesser amount of time.

I have an easier trick... look at your oven/microwave clocks and see if they are blinking. :glare:

Although, the quarter trick would be more informative as to whether your frozen food thawed.

CD

I have an easier trick... look at your oven/microwave clocks and see if they are blinking. :glare:

Although, the quarter trick would be more informative as to whether your frozen food thawed.

CD
:ROFLMAO: good point, but yeah, the microwave won't tell you if it was 15 seconds or five hours. And the quarter actually tells you a bit about the conditions inside your freezer.

Last edited:
My bedroom alarm clock is not on my generator power grid. I know exactly how long the power was off by subtracting the time from it to now time.

I don't worry about my freezers as they are on the grid and so is my well. Love my Generac - best purchase I ever invested in.

Somewhere in one of the unpacked boxes up on the closet shelves, I have an old wind up clock. So far I haven't had to get it out. I don't know why I kept it.

My cousins in VA are heading back to Ocala today. They stopped in a few minutes ago to let us know. Their power and internet is back and working, according to their complex manager. Adopted son is leaving Kentucky tomorrow AM to head back to Orlando.

83 and sunny here today at noon.

They are expecting Jose to come up the coast yet still out at sea. If it stays on the expected track, Nantucket and Martha's Vineyard will be on the very edge of the storm.

But for today, 80ºF and very muggy. Yukky feeling.

Still waiting to hear from my sis and her family in Jacksonville. The storm wasn't that bad there, and they live in a stone and brick mansion so I'm sure they're OK. They are probably still without power, though.

I've been amazed at the weather here all summer. I haven't had to turn the lawn sprinklers on even once all year. But a buddy who lives on the other side of the mountain (same town) has had half as much rain as we have.

I left my house in a thunderstorm the other day to pick my boy up from football practice, and as soon as I headed down the other side of the mountain, it was clear after only having had a sun shower.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom