What's the last movie you watched?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Andy, was it the remake of the Orient Express? or the original.
I don't remember the original too much other than in my tender years I liked it. The second one was OK too. By jerky, jerky - not understanding just what you mean by that. Good or bad jerky, jerky?
It's a remake from 2017. By jerky I meant that transitions from scene to scene were not smoothly one. It could be because the protagonist was that way when he had anew thought.

Me and dh have been going through a few good DC (superhero in case like me you didn't know what that stood for) and saw Wonder Woman (good!), Shazam (very funny and also good), and Black Adam (interesting idea of both sides being kind of right and kind of wrong at the same time.). Also saw the Flash film that bombed (good, kind of confusing in parts, personal life of main character actor aside.)

The Barbie movie. We went because of all the people who were offended, and we really liked it. We didn't expect we would, but we really thought it was fun and well done. Not a kid's movie though.
I haven't seen it, but wasn't it marketed as a kid's movie though?

I haven't seen it, but wasn't it marketed as a kid's movie though?
Barbie has parts that may amuse a kid, but I think most kids younger than a mature 10 year old will get board. I liked the movie a lot. Our very precocious 10 year old (child of a family friend) seems more like a little adult than a child. Even she got squirmy during parts. She was able to tell her father that "Barbie's existential crisis forced her to make hard choices." I'd say she got it.

See For Me - 2021 suspense, Netflix. A blind girl using an app (that really does exist) to help her. Great, edge of your seat, excitement.
Highly recommend.

We watched Fair Play on Netflix. It is a newer movie, a "relationship thriller." There are some great actors and great acting too. A bit of a roller coaster ride. Scenes that are fun and then the scenes that make you cringe too. Not terribly predictable and I understand the writer/director had a story to tell and a plan to get it told. Worth the time.

We watched Haunted Mansion. It was actually pretty good. I don't usually like ghost movies but hey, this is Disney and a good cast!

The Shape of Water (2017). Sally Hawkins is terrific as a mute, desperately lonely cleaning lady at a government facility which brings in (basically) the Creature from the Black Lagoon. She absolutely carries the movie despite not having any lines. It's a magical fantasy, but it's also a clever commentary about racism. The soundtrack is also magical. Recommended.
I don't remember why, but I remember not liking.

Thunderball (1965). The fourth Bond movie, after Dr. No, From Russia with Love, and Goldfinger. The first two Bond movies were successful enough, but Goldfinger was a huge hit, earning almost $125 million in 1964. So when it came time for Thunderball, perhaps they were more willing to spend money; it cost more to make than all three previous Bond movies combined. Probably owing to all the underwater scenes.

By this point they had the formula down, and Thunderball is terrific fun. Not quite as good as the earlier ones, but still one of the top ten Bond flicks in my book. I probably watched this when I was a much younger fellow, but so long ago that I don't remember it - whereas I've seen Dr. No, From Russia with Love, and Goldfinger relatively recently. It turns out that Amazon Prime Video has decided to provide all the Bond movies commercial free, so I may well revisit some of them, or even watch the few I've skipped entirely. Hot women, guns, chases, cool gadgets, and of course explosions: Bond movies are quintessential guy movies.

Over the past few days, we've watched a few movies on Prime. Today, we watched Jerry & Marge Go Large. We enjoyed it. A feel good movie about a guy that has worked for Kellogg since he graduated from High School and is now forced into retirement. He is a numbers and math guy...doesn't know what to do next, when he figures out how to win money thru playing the lottery. It is fun and based on a true story. We enjoyed it.

Yesterday, we watched another kind of a feel good movies, Queen Bees. Ellen Burstyn is a widow, living on her own and forced into staying at the local Senior Retirement place, while her home is undergoing a remodel. She hates it, then she tolerates it and along the way, she finds friendship and a new love too. We enjoyed that one too.

We also watched Tommy Lee Jones and Jamie Foxx in The Burial. A David and Goliath kind of story. Little guy in the South takes on the big corporation with his colorful lawyer. Another one based on a true story and certainly worth the watch. It is a bit of a rollercoaster, but the story and the actors are entertaining.

We now return you to your regular programming.... ;)

While not a movie, but a series of 8 episodes, The Fall of the House of Usher on Netflix should please those who love gothic stories such as those written by Poe. I loved it. The series mesh-mashes several of Poe's works and themes weaving them into a story that is both satisfying and leaves questions to ponder. With very few exceptions, the characters are deliciously unlikable. In Mike Flanagan's fusion of Poe's stories, one gets supernatural horror filled with psychological terrors and trauma. Warning: the series does not shy from the Caligula-like psychosis found in the Italian horror-thrillers from the 60s and 70s cinema. If you are okay with Poe's stories combined with today's uncensored deliveries, this series will not disappoint.

You Only Live Twice (1967). The fifth Bond movie. During production, Sean Connery announced this would be his last Bond movie; as it happened, he did two more: Diamonds are Forever and Never Say Never Again. These others are generally regarded as lesser efforts, as Diamonds are Forever is really, really silly and Never Say Never Again is a remake of Thunderball. Connery was tired of the circus Bond had become and the typecasting he faced, and he does look weary in this movie, which to modern eyes seems pretty stereotypical. But if you want fun, it's here: the iconic secret spy base inside a volcano started with this picture; a mini helicopter loaded with so many weapons it's amazing it was so quick; killer cigarettes; and a ridiculous plot involving the theft of American and Soviet space capsules. A step down from Thunderball, which itself was a step down from the classic first three Bond movies, You Only Live Twice still has everything a James Bond fan could want.

Roald Dahl, author of Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, wrote the script!

Netflix has Happiness for Beginners playing. It is a Rom-Com with some beautiful scenery and a little bit different story. Predictable in that the boy does get the girl...but how they get their isn't the usual. We enjoyed it.

Interstellar (2014). Although it was critically praised, and although I tend to like science fiction movies, I held off on this one because it looked to me, well, rather depressing. And while it is mostly a downer, it is quite well-made and ultimately very satisfying. I would say that Interstellar, Ex Machina, and Blade Runner 2049 represent the best science fiction movies I've seen in the last decade.

By a great margin.

Totally Killer - 2023, R, 1h 46m
Was better than I thought it would be.

The Boogeyman (Stephen King story) - 2023, PG-13, 1h 38m
I jumped a few times.

Both were good.

Last edited:
Been watching a lot of Agatha Christie. Sparkling Cyanide, Witness for the Prosecution.
and have started on Miss Marple. I'll get to Poirot eventually. Funny, even those I've seen are always as if they were brand new to me! LOL

Not Agatha Christie but The Burial (based on a true story) with Tommy Lee Jones and Jamie Fox. Excellent!

I had watched (quite a while ago - year or two?) Miss Fisher's Murder Mysteries. Quite good and enjoyed. Not so much the new "Modern" one, she is too perky and forced, rather annoying.

Back
Top Bottom