"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Outdoor Cooking Forum > BBQ & Smokin' Meats

Old 03-09-2015, 10:35 PM   #1
Head Chef

First smoking on new grill

Today it was so nice I had to do some Q. I decided that it was time to properly baptize the new gas grill and start to learn how to smoke on it. I had a nice 4 pound bone-in pork shoulder roast, some hickory and apple chips, and a good rub. I used my analog oven thermometer right beside the meat so that I knew what was happening temperature wise, and my Chef Alarm probe in the meat. I kept the temp at 240-250 with 3 of the 5 burners on the left, and the meat on the far right. I put a pan with water between the heat and the meat and kept the smoke box stoked with chips and cooked it for something over 5 hours, to an internal temp of about 190.

I didn't probably get as much smoke as I really was hoping for, but I'll try some other ideas next time. The rub that I got for the Smoking Meats forum was outstanding, and the finished shoulder is delicious - best pork roast I can remember. We just had it as a roast tonight, and the leftovers I'll have to figure out what to do with in a couple of days.

Old 03-10-2015, 07:29 AM   #2
Sous Chef

Good job!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 03-10-2015, 08:19 AM   #3
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Sounds delish!
Old 03-10-2015, 01:19 PM   #4
Executive Chef

I have never been able to achieve that "smoker" flavor with my gas grill.
Besides, I don't want the inside of my gas grill to turn brown from wood smoke.
Old 03-10-2015, 01:35 PM   #5
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roll_Bones View Post
...I don't want the inside of my gas grill to turn brown from wood smoke.

What color is it now?
Old 03-10-2015, 05:11 PM   #6
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roll_Bones View Post
I have never been able to achieve that "smoker" flavor with my gas grill.
Besides, I don't want the inside of my gas grill to turn brown from wood smoke.
I don't understand that. It gets plenty of smoke from the meats that you grill. A little wood smoke isn't going to change that. I smoked a lot on the Weber Genesis that I used to have and never saw any problems with it. The way I see it, a grill is supposed to get smoky, just the nature of the beast.
Old 03-10-2015, 05:31 PM   #7
Executive Chef

Smoke will be absorbed only so long during cooking.

Apple and hickory in combination is our favorite too. DxW doesn't care for a lot of smoke, and on our Weber kettles, we each have the same ones, we like how it turns out.

When I made a pork roast in the oven last week, she had a taste, and said she would like to have dinner the next time I make, and how soon will that be!! Yippee. that means I can grill smoke a pork shoulder for pulled pork too.
Old 03-10-2015, 05:52 PM   #8
Executive Chef

Good job, especially with a gasser. I just broke in a new 22.5 Weber, yesterday. Just burgers. Way too tired after off loading the final load from the move to attempt anything else.

Whiska, after the bark "begins" forming, no more smoke will be taken on, IMHO. My thoughts on this are that the lower the temp (I shoot for 225F) the longer it will take for the bark to develop and block the up take of smoke. There has been a trend toward "hot & fast", but I'll stick to the methods that have worked for me thus far.
Old 03-10-2015, 11:44 PM   #9
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigC View Post
Good job, especially with a gasser. I just broke in a new 22.5 Weber, yesterday. Just burgers. Way too tired after off loading the final load from the move to attempt anything else.

Whiska, after the bark "begins" forming, no more smoke will be taken on, IMHO. My thoughts on this are that the lower the temp (I shoot for 225F) the longer it will take for the bark to develop and block the up take of smoke. There has been a trend toward "hot & fast", but I'll stick to the methods that have worked for me thus far.
Hot and fast and low and slow are both viable methods, and one or the other is better suited to different cuts of meat. This shoulder roast was the best pork roast I've ever made, and I'd be hard pressed to remember a better one anytime from any source. When my wife posts on Facebook that it was "yummy", then I know I hit the jackpot. When we were first married, she was ambivalent about pork in general, and and has never liked anything I put a dry rub on.
Old 03-11-2015, 04:59 AM   #10
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPCookin View Post
Hot and fast and low and slow are both viable methods, and one or the other is better suited to different cuts of meat. This shoulder roast was the best pork roast I've ever made, and I'd be hard pressed to remember a better one anytime from any source. When my wife posts on Facebook that it was "yummy", then I know I hit the jackpot. When we were first married, she was ambivalent about pork in general, and and has never liked anything I put a dry rub on.
I'm talking about a trend in competition BBQ where the same cuts, like brisket, are being smoked hot and fast.

Tags
grill