"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Desserts, Sweets & Cookies & Candy > Cakes & Cupcakes

Old 05-09-2009, 09:51 AM   #1
Assistant Cook

ISO substitute for boxed instant pudding in cake recipe

I have a recipe for limoncello bundt cake that uses boxed cake mix & boxed instant pudding mix.I made the cake once, with the boxed ingredients, but I prefer to make everthing from scratch as I don't like chemicals in my cake. I have found substitutes for the boxed cake mix , does anyone have a substitute for instant pudding mix? Or a really good lemoncello cake recipe ? Thanks!

Old 05-09-2009, 08:11 PM   #2
Sous Chef

pudding is easily made from simple ingredients; google it. i think it uses cornstarch.

Old 05-09-2009, 08:44 PM   #3
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
You might try this, details, and see if it would work for you.
Old 05-10-2009, 11:20 AM   #4
Senior Cook

I tried to google a good recipe for you, but it seems everyone is using the combo of lemon cake mix and instant pudding. I am like you, I would much rather make it from scratch with homemade ingredients. The issue seems to be that unless you're a food chemist there's no way around the boxed pudding as it contains emulsifiers and added flavorings vital to the cakes texture and flavor.

Have you considered just starting completely from scratch? Make a lemon flavored bundt cake and then make the lemoncello glaze the same way? There are tons of good lemon cake recipes out there (from scratch) that are moist and delicious. Good luck!
Old 05-10-2009, 02:46 PM   #5
Assistant Cook

thanks for replies

Hi,
thanks for replying to my post yesterday regarding a substitute for boxed instant pudding mix for the limoncello cake. I spent quite a bit of time googling instant pudding substitutes the other day. Regular pudding recipes won't work - I've made cook-on-the-stovetop pudding from scratch (sugar, cornstarch flavoring & milk) many, many times, but the cornstarch that you use is heat activated & will apparently not work,( even as a dry mixture, minus the milk) in a cake recipe like this. I read something about a product called CLEAR GEL, that comes in version that does not require cooking, but it had an MSDS sheet! (MSDS = material data safety sheet) Usually a MSDS is only found for chemicals, pesticides etc. The fact that one (MSDS) was required for this product didn't appeal to me, since i'm trying to avoid crap in my food in the first place! I really just wanted to know if anyone has experimented with any cake recipe that calls for boxed instant puding mix, but have substituted something less gross, that achieves the same moistness(?) or whatever the instant pudding addition is supposed to do.
Thanks again
Old 05-11-2009, 05:02 AM   #6
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by snack_pack85 View Post
I tried to google a good recipe for you, but it seems everyone is using the combo of lemon cake mix and instant pudding. I am like you, I would much rather make it from scratch with homemade ingredients. The issue seems to be that unless you're a food chemist there's no way around the boxed pudding as it contains emulsifiers and added flavorings vital to the cakes texture and flavor.

Have you considered just starting completely from scratch? Make a lemon flavored bundt cake and then make the lemoncello glaze the same way? There are tons of good lemon cake recipes out there (from scratch) that are moist and delicious. Good luck!

I did a search on lemon pudding and lemon cake and got pages
of recipes - from scratch.
Old 05-11-2009, 01:24 PM   #7
Master Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to ChefJune
I would use a lemon cream recipe (a pastry cream with lemon flavoring). I can't post it right now, but it is in my home computer. If you don't find one, I can post it within the next couple of days.
Old 09-11-2009, 06:44 PM   #8
Assistant Cook

Homemade instant pudding

Instant Clearjel is modified corn starch. It is just regular corn starch that's already been heated so you don't have to add heat to make it thicken. Here is a recipe for homemade pudding...

Instant Vanilla Pudding Mix

1/3 cup instant dry milk
1/2 cup sugar
1/3 cup Clear Jel (Instant)
1/4 tsp. Salt

Combine dry ingredients.
Add 2 cup cold milk & 1/4 tsp vanilla
Mix in blender, or mixer. Thin if needed.
May vary with lemon, coconut, etc. Add more sugar with cocoa.

I will be using this in my cakes as a substitute for instant pudding mix.
Old 12-05-2009, 02:55 PM   #9
Assistant Cook

Cool What I substituted in a Loaf Cake for Instant Pudding Mix

I baked an Amish Friendship Bread today...actually, I baked four loaves...I didnt have any instant vanilla pudding mix and scoured the internet for ideas. No one seemed to have an easy answer. So, I winged it with delicious results and great texture. I decided that all I needed from the instant pudding mix was emulsifier and additional flavor and sugar. So, I simply added an extra egg to my recipe and doubled the vanilla, and added a 1/2 cup of powdered sugar to the granulated sugar the recipe called for. I doubt the additional sugar, and in powdered form, really made a difference. But, the egg did the trick. Because the loaves are moist springy and light, just perfect!

I just wanted to share this information. Now, I dont know if the resulting texture would be the same in a different type of cake, but the this "bread" is similar to a banana nut bread or pumpkin bread in consistency. Like a pound cake, but not as heavy. And very very good!

Nina
Old 12-07-2009, 07:11 AM   #10
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by details View Post
I read something about a product called CLEAR GEL, that comes in version that does not require cooking, but it had an MSDS sheet! (MSDS = material data safety sheet) Usually a MSDS is only found for chemicals, pesticides etc. The fact that one (MSDS) was required for this product didn't appeal to me, since i'm trying to avoid crap in my food in the first place!
An MSDS refers to health and safety issues in industrial and manufacturing situations (OSHA) - not food consumption safety issues (FDA, USDA). Clearjel has an MSDS because it is combustible (any dust in high enough concentrations can ignite or explode if there is an ignition source - something as simple as a spark of static electricity can do the trick), and prolonged exposure can cause skin irritation like any form of starch, and prolonged breathing of the dust can cause or exacerbate existing respiratory problems. Of course this is true for corn starch in general - there is a MSDS covering that box of Argo Corn Starch most people have sitting in their pantry. And you have a similar situation if you read the wheat flour MSDS.

Tags
None