Need tips on baking a layer cake

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'd try the combo of seeds, cake, chocolate to make sure nothing clashes. Probably won't but you never know. Just be aware some people don't like seeds, just like some people don't like coconut because it gets in their teeth or they just don't like the texture.

I used a mix for a red velvet cake for youngest GD's birthday last week (her request) and it made a very, very soft crumb. Even cooled I still had to crumb coat it and let it set in fridge for several hours before adding final icing layer, gold. She wanted a "Loki" cake so she wanted his colors. They didn't dome hardly any because I wrapped the pans with wet towels but there was still a little. I did like bakechef, let them cool upside down, then put the two tops together and just filled in any gaps with icing when I crumb coated it.

Right! :LOL: I wanted pumpkin seeds to go with the Mexican chocolate theme but I couldn't find them. Sunflower seeds are as close as I could get.
We see pepitas at Trader Joe's all the time. If you have one not too far away, you might want to take a ride over there - or at least give the store a call.

DH found them in the bulk section at Kroger. I must have missed them, because I looked.

We'll try the cake with both and see what we think.

I always thought that the recipes used had to be your own? Maybe I have gone to the wrong county fairs? My grandma and aunt won a lot of ribbons at fairs for their Pickles, breads, pies, and cakes. The recipe cards I have are handwritten and their own. I guess the rules have changed. I would be tempted to come up with my own recipe. And I don't think I would be brave enough to do it as a first time out of the gate!

It's not surprising that your aunt and grandmother had hand-written recipes, since there were no personal computers in those days, but do you really think they invented the recipes themselves? Chances are pretty good they got them from someone else. There are only so many ways to make a yellow cake.

And here's my first attempt at decorating a cake layer. The frosting is made with chocolate chips, heavy cream and seasonings, including Kahlua, cinnamon, cayenne and vanilla extract. The recipe said to heat the cream and pour it over the chocolate and seasonings, stir till smooth and let cool. Then whip till paler in color and fluffy.

I don't think it really got fluffy, even after several minutes of whipping in my KitchenAid mixer. It seemed a little soft, but I went ahead and frosted the cake. I put it in the fridge to firm up before I remove the parchment.

It tastes great, though! :)

Attachments

• 1439765056491.jpg
    1439765056491.jpg
    55.4 KB · Views: 152
And here's my first attempt at decorating a cake layer. The frosting is made with chocolate chips, heavy cream and seasonings, including Kahlua, cinnamon, cayenne and vanilla extract. The recipe said to heat the cream and pour it over the chocolate and seasonings, stir till smooth and let cool. Then whip till paler in color and fluffy.

I don't think it really got fluffy, even after several minutes of whipping in my KitchenAid mixer. It seemed a little soft, but I went ahead and frosted the cake. I put it in the fridge to firm up before I remove the parchment.

It tastes great, though! :)

That looks really good! I find that a ganache whips up best when it's a little cooler than room temperature. Too cold and it hardens. My whipped ganache has more chocolate than cream, I use 16 oz. cream to 24 oz. of chocolate, that should give you an idea of the ratio that works for me. It can get as stiff and fluffy as mousse and stiff enough to pipe.

Sent from my XT1080 using Discuss Cooking mobile app

Thank you, bakechef! I appreciate the tip. I thought it came out pretty good for my first try. I'll make another one this week and hopefully fix the problems.

Thank you, bakechef! I appreciate the tip. I thought it came out pretty good for my first try. I'll make another one this week and hopefully fix the problems.

Looks great. I like the second one better. Isn't it great having BC here when you need him the most? Your own little baking class. And you are the only student. How lucky can you get! Good luck with your adventure. :angel:

Thanks ☺ Addie, they're different pictures of the same cake.

I couldn't find espresso powder at Kroger. There is Kahlua in the frosting, which tastes amazing.

bakechef, I just thought about it and the ratio I used was one to one - six ounces each of chocolate chips and cream. So changing that to your ratio should fix the texture and increase the chocolate flavor, too. Yum.

Thanks ☺ Addie, they're different pictures of the same cake.

I couldn't find espresso powder at Kroger. There is Kahlua in the frosting, which tastes amazing.

bakechef, I just thought about it and the ratio I used was one to one - six ounces each of chocolate chips and cream. So changing that to your ratio should fix the texture and increase the chocolate flavor, too. Yum.

Glad I could help! Good luck!

Sent from my XT1080 using Discuss Cooking mobile app

Okay, here I am at the competition, waiting for the judging to begin :ohmy: I'm not really happy with how it looks. I felt nervous as hell this morning and was afraid I'd drop a layer or spill the frosting and I know I forgot a lot of the tips so many of you thoughtfully shared.

But there's nothing more I can do. DH said, "What's the worst that can happen? Gordon Ramsey could look down at it sadly and say, 'Damn.'" :ermm: :LOL:

But it tastes amazing, especially the frosting, which I adjusted quite a bit from the one that inspired me. Thanks to my buddy Princess Fiona who mailed me some instant espresso powder to add to it :)

Wish me luck! ?

Attachments

• 1440264028848.jpg
    1440264028848.jpg
    68.3 KB · Views: 164
P.S. Mine was the only one that was decorated with something other than the frosting itself. I wonder if that will help.

P.P.S. I was so nervous this morning, I was hoping I wouldn't win, so I wouldn't have to make it again next month for the State Fair! ;)

Back
Top Bottom