"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Beef, Pork, Lamb & Venison > Beef

Old 03-08-2009, 10:50 PM   #41
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael in FtW View Post
Cheap and inexpensive are relative terms Callisto.
Only in your vocabulary. Cheap means crap. Inexpensive means great deals. They are not relative terms in anyone's mind that I know.

Old 03-09-2009, 12:14 AM   #42
Executive Chef

Sorry, Michael, I can't edit my post. It shouldnt' say in "only" ~ a lot of people I know define cheap and inexpensive as different entities. I shouldn't have said "only" in my reply. My apologies.

Old 03-09-2009, 01:59 AM   #43
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitchenelf View Post
Our moonshine is cheaper!
LOL - see if I ever share another confidence from my youth with you! A three day liberty and all I remember is the first 8-hours! Okay, I think it was 8 hours - I remember going to Beal Street but I don't remember leaving ... But, is NC shine really higher octane than TN shine?

Woo-hooo ... long live NASCAR!!!! Long live The Bandit!
Old 03-09-2009, 02:05 AM   #44
Head Chef

Quote:
Cheap and inexpensive are relative terms Callisto. When butchers got primal halves of beef - they had a set number of things they could cut from it ... some things like brisket, skirt/flank/hanger steaks, ribs, shanks, tails did not sell as well as the T-Bone, Porterhouse, Strip, etc. steaks and roasts. Therefore, in order to sell them, they were sold at a much lower price per pound than the more desirable cuts. These were what you will sometimes see referred to as "butcher" cuts - if he couldn't sell them he simply took them home to eat himself.

Now that butchers are getting as hard to find as hen's teeth - grocery stores are buying the cuts from distribution centers or suppliers that sell the most - what were once the cheap cuts still are, but they are probably being shipped somewhere else ... and if you want them they are a "limited availability" item - so the price goes up.

Prices vary by country, by region, by state, by season - they also vary from store chain to chain, store to store, location to location even within the same city! I can find brisket ranging fron $1.29 - $3.99 /lb every day - depending on which store I go to. On sale - it can range from $0.59 - $1.89 ... again depending on the store and the part of town where I shop.

I'm sorry that all meat prices in general seem to be higher for you in NC than they were in CA. But, I bet you get better prices on pork.

Or maybe she should stay out of Harris Teeters!!!
Old 03-09-2009, 02:47 AM   #45
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Callisto in NC View Post
I don't eat pork ... but regardless, it's ALLLLLLLLLLLLLL meat that I eat, chicken, turkey, beef, that is considerably more expensive than it was in Cali. ...
Okay - we get the point. Now, you might want to take this into consideration ... beef prices are going to be higher where you now live than they were in Cali because the area you now live in doesn't raise beef cattle!

The MD, VA, NC, SC area is know for it's pork - the "other" white meat.
Old 03-09-2009, 08:26 AM   #46
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
The MD, VA, NC, SC area is know for it's pork - the "other" white meat.
yeah, buddy! And we don't use no stinkin' brisket to make barbecue, neither! (you know I'm jes' messin' w/you, Michael)
Old 03-09-2009, 06:19 PM   #47
Traveling Welcome Wagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Callisto in NC View Post
...Dollar for dollar California meat prices were by far less than this state. It's amazing to me that NC meat is so much more expensive than CA...
That was one of the first things I noticed when I moved from southern California to South Carolina--the high prices for both meat and produce.

If the briskets at your store are that huge, maybe you could go in on one with a few friends. They will cut it into pieces for you at the store.

Barbara
Old 03-09-2009, 09:15 PM   #48
Executive Chef

A good brisket, boiled and then slathered in honey mustard and broiled, coupled with colcannon, extra cabbage and Irish Soda Bread. This meal was recently being cooked in lots of kitchens. Happy St. Paddy's Day again!
Old 03-09-2009, 09:59 PM   #49
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by mudbug View Post
yeah, buddy! And we don't use no stinkin' brisket to make barbecue, neither! (you know I'm jes' messin' w/you, Michael)
Yep - and y'all think a yellow mustard vinaigrette is BBQ sauce, too!
Old 03-10-2009, 08:17 AM   #50
Executive Chef

Yep, just like most of my cooking, my BBQ sauces are never the same.

Tags
None