"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Beef, Pork, Lamb & Venison > Beef
Old 07-18-2010, 10:40 PM   #51
Master Chef
First time at a Wendy's, on a bet, me wighing in at 139 lbs. soaking wet, I ate 2 Wendy's triples, a bowl of chili, and two orders of fries. Had a Frosty to wash it down. The friend was so impressed, he payed for it all. At that time in my life, I was so active that I would work or play that off in a day's worth of activities. Oh to be twenty again.

I still stand by a 1/2 lb. of freshly formed patty (with my two hands), some grilled cremini mushrooms (sliced), a bit of pickle relish, and ketchup, or salsa. The burger has to be grilled over charcoal to medium (there's that slightly pink center again) seasoned with a light sprinkling of salt, and cooked with the lid on to capture all of that smokey flavor from fat dripping onto the hot coals. Serve on a slightly toasted (on the grill) whole wheat kaiser roll, and topped with the shrooms, pickle relish, a slice vine ripened tomato from my garden, and a bit of iceberg, yes, iceberg lettuce, for the crunch. For the cheese, it has to be an aged swiss.

Yep, that's the one, unless I'm in Olympia, WA. I had a rare hamburger there that was as good as any steak I've ever had, anywhere. It was amazing and I haven't been able to duplicate it yet.
Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

“No amount of success outside the home can compensate for failure within the home…"

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 06:52 PM   #52
Contest Winner
Caramelize some onions and then mix into burgers before shaping. Create a hollow in the middle of each and stuff with provolone or mozzarella. Add more burger mixture to cover the hollow. (essentially you are creating a cheese stuffed burger patty) Cook and EAT. :) Oh, and by the way, these taste best when served on a toasted kaiser that has been brushed with garlic butter. Mmmm.

I call it a "French Onion Soup" burger and it is AMAZING. (*note* i do this technique with veggie "burger" meat because I dont eat beef, but I have made these w/ beef for friends and relatives and it is always a hit)

~passionate pescetarian~
grumblebee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 01:57 PM   #53
Head Chef
Ground Chuck, Salt, Pepper, wood fire.
Jeff G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2010, 05:35 PM   #54
Senior Cook
I've been trying lots of different cuts of beef for burgers. While chuck and sirloin are okay, they just don't have that beefy flavor I crave. Not long ago I had my butcher grind a whole tri-tip roast. It was exactly what I was looking for. Amazing flavor, juicy, and tender. It's probably a 75/25 mix and they do shrink a bit so I always make them about a third of a pound and quite a bit bigger than the bun so when they are cooked, they fit the bun perfectly. And since I have it ground fresh, I have no concerns about cooking them medium rare. Yum.
Sedagive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2010, 06:02 PM   #55
Chef Extraordinaire
Originally Posted by Goodweed of the North View Post
First time at a Wendy's, on a bet, me wighing in at 139 lbs. soaking wet, I ate 2 Wendy's triples, a bowl of chili, and two orders of fries. Had a Frosty to wash it down.
wow, i thought i was good. my dad would have called you a true garbage belly.

that reminded me of when i was in high school, i used to work the late shift/cleanup in a burger king in the next town over, on the border of alpine, nj.
eddie murphy used to live in alpine, and would stop by after doing a late taping of saturday night live on his way home. i remember he'd drive up in a beautiful little red 944, and knock on the closed takeout window.

we'd make him these gigantic 5 and 6 patty whoppers, and fill a bag with fries, and he'd toss us a coupla twenties for us to pocket since the place technically was closed. then we'd make one for ourselves and chow down.

ahh, the good old days when you could eat 5000 calories and burn it off by the next afternoon's workout.

in nomine patri, et fili, et spiritus sancti.
beidh ar la linn.
wisdom is often in short supply within ones' ego.
buckytom is offline   Reply With Quote