"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Beef, Pork, Lamb & Venison > Beef
Old 02-11-2009, 12:09 AM   #1
Assistant Cook
Share your Pepper Steak Recipes

I first had this at the Dal Rae in Pico Rivera, CA. They have this pepper steak, which is just a steak, but they throw on bacon and green onions on top of it.

Here's what I am trying so far (Topping ONLY)

Slice a few bacon strips into small 1/2" squares.
Fry it up, drain grease.
Next I will chop up some green onions and saute it with the bacon in butter.
Pour in a splash of Worcestershire sauce

After the steaks are done, I'll put about 1/4" cup of the contents on each steak.

Attached is a pic of tonights attempt. It was great and I would definitely make it again.

Anyone ever had this at a restaurant? Even better the Dal Rae? Can you provide your attempts or suggestions at making this?

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1959.jpg
Views:	6471
Size:	78.6 KB
ID:	6936  

GHPoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 12:57 PM   #2
Head Chef
Pepper Steak is the reason my DH is no longer allowed in the kitchen.

27 years ago when I was in the hospital delivering my youngest daughter, my DH was home with my step-daughter and decided to fix "Pepper Steak" for dinner.

Unfortunately, his idea of pepper steak was to coat cubed steak in ground black pepper and then fry it up. When he served it to my step-daughter, she told him it was too hot to eat so he told her it would be okay if she just covered it in mayo.

She told me the story and he has been banned from cooking in the kitchen without supervision ever since.

Mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 01:12 PM   #3
Master Chef
I've only had pepper stake in Chineese places. I just cut meat in thin strips, marinade in soy sauce and sugar mixture, about half and half. Add a whole bunch of cut up green onions or red bell pepper and the fry really fast. Add pepper flakes as much as you like to make it as hot as you like, for me it's just a very little. Then I boil the rest of marinade or make fresh one add a little bit of starch and cook until it is thick. Poor over meat done. I know it is not true recipe, but it is very quick. Flank works realy well, or the skirt stake.
You are what you eat.
CharlieD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 01:14 PM   #4
Chef Extraordinaire
what Charlie describes is what I think of as pepper steak, too. I was looking for mom's recipe but haven't found it yet. GHPoe, where's the pepper in your dish?
Kool Aid - Think before you drink.
mudbug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 11:34 PM   #5
Assistant Cook
I just season the steaks with salt and cracked pepper (more pepper than one normally would). You are right, about why did I called it pepper steak. :) I only called it that because that is what this particular restaurant calls it on their menu.
Old 02-11-2009, 11:35 PM   #6
Assistant Cook
BTW, I found a something on the internet that says chopped mushrooms are used in the sauce as well.
Old 11-16-2012, 04:31 PM   #7
Assistant Cook
Dal Rae Pepper Steak (Pico Rivera, CA)

Haven't eaten there in many, many years because it is so far away. Once upon a time they had a branch in Los Angeles. My father-in-law introduced me to this steak and he made what I thought was a pretty good replica. I can't remember the quantities - sorry - but the ingredients included sliced green onions, cracked pepper, bacon, and soy sauce. It was sooooo good. Even good on hamburgers if you can't afford steak.
travel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 01:02 PM   #8
Sous Chef

STEAK, well chilled
1 tsp. Garlic Powder
1/2 tsp. Rosemary
1 Tbslp. Green Peppercorns
5 Black Peppercorns
1/4 tsp. Salt
5 Tblsp. Butter, melted

Mash together the Garlic Powder, Rosemary,Green Peppercorns, Black Pepper & Salt in mortar & pestle.
Rub mixture on the Steak (s)
Pour melted Butter on a plate and coat both sides of the well chilled steaks.
Place steaks back in the refrigerator for approx. 30 minutes.
Place chilled Steaks immediately on Grill / OR / Sear in heavy cast-iron skillet.
You know the rest of the drill.
eat. smile
Chef Maloney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 02:48 PM   #9
Chef Extraordinaire
Chef, thanks so much for this...we are having Porterhouse steak tomorrow night and were on the lookout for a nice sauce
All I really need is love, but a little chocolate now and then doesn't hurt
Kylie1969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 11:23 AM   #10
Senior Cook
Peppered Steak
Sirloin Tip Strips or either you can buy a sirloin strip steak and cut it up yourself.
1 pepper , sliced
1 onion , sliced
1 tbsp. Garlic Powder
2 tbsp. Worcestershire sauce
2 (10.5 oz.) of Campbell's Beef Gravy
Cooked Rice

In saucepan cook sirloin strips (don't cook it on very high temperature cause the meat cooks really quickly and dries out quick) I normally cook mine on about medium heat and when meat is almost done (still a little red left) I'll take it out. And set aside.

After you've removed your steak strips. Add about 1 tbsp of butter to the pan and saute your veggies (onions and peppers) and cook until translucent but a little crunchy still. Drain and return back to the pan.

Add the 1 tbsp of Garlic Powder & 2 tbsp of Worcestershire sauce, mix well. Then pour in Beef Gravy stir and let simmer for about 5-10 minutes on medium high heat make sure to stir occasionally so it doesn't stick. Then you can add the steak strips in and let simmer for 4-5 more minutes and then serve over rice.

Very yummy, my family cooked this about 2 years ago and now DH ask for every other wekk

Jessica_Morris is offline   Reply With Quote