"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Beef, Pork, Lamb & Venison > Beef
Click Here to Login

Old 09-20-2018, 08:52 AM   #51
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by di reston View Post
Dear friends, when I posted my pictures of my meat hammer, it was to illustrate that it doesn't tear the fibres in the meat - which something many of them do.
You can see, by the sheer weight of the hammer, and the fibres aren't torn at all, although the meat comes out very tender.

You shouldn't have said what you did, it makes me look like an idiot, and it isn't funny.

I'm going to let this go this time, but be careful what you say in future, especially when it comes to other members of the group. What you said was hurtful and nasty.

di reston

Enough is never as good as a feast Oscar Wilde
If you are referring to the Wrestling Name joke, methinks you are taking offense where none was intended. Professional Wrestlers assume "Wrestling Names," which are meant to make them into "Superhumans." Names like The Rock, Stone Cold, The Anvil, or The Mongolian Stomper.

Scott just quipped that Turkish Meat Hammer might make a clever Wrestler's name.

CD

Old 09-20-2018, 09:57 AM   #52
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by caseydog View Post
I honestly prefer a meat mallet to tenderize a cheap cut of steak, over a jaccard (the name of the meat puncture-er). I used to have a jaccard, but got rid of it. IMO, the mallet does a better job.

Yes, a fork will work like a jaccard. It will just take longer. I'd still go with a meat mallet.

The "manager's specials" at Kroger/Ralph's are hit and miss. Every time I go to Kroger, I look at the manager's specials section in the meat department. Sometimes there is nothing I want (today, for example), but sometimes I hit the mother lode. Just look! You have nothing to lose if you are already in the store.

CD
I only use the mallet when I want a thinner piece of meat for the dish I'm making, and I mostly use it for chicken breast. My Jaccard doesn't mash the cut down so much, but still does its job of cutting the tough fibers and tenderizing a round steak or the like for dishes like chicken fried steak or some sort of Swiss steak. I use it quite vigorously, punching the entire steak with parallel stamps, then rotating 90° and going over it again.

To the OP: It's not something you would typically do for a steak that you are grilling. For that you really want a better quality cut.

Old 09-20-2018, 12:53 PM   #53
Executive Chef

I think it’d be a great name for a metal band, too!

Tags
steak