ISO recipes for leftover ham, esp. with vegetables

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tdejarnette

Senior Cook
I have fresh asparagus, green beans, potatoes and carrots on hand. But any great ideas appreciated!

sounds like makings for a ham pot pie.

Would use a recipe for a chicken pot pie and use the ham instead.

Well, you have the perfect ingredients for a sort of shepherd's pie! Mix the chopped ham with your vegs and some sort of gravy, like a can of cream of celery soup, maybe, or cheddar cheese soup. You didn't say what kind of potatoes you have, but you can make mashed potatoes out of just about any kind of leftover potatoes. Spread the mashed over everything and heat in the oven till hot all the way through.

Or you can make a ham, veg and potato pot pie. Similar, but with a pie crust.

It's worth checking out the thread Alix posted above, too. LOVE the last line of Aunt Dot's post there: "I think it was Dorothy Parker who said 'Infinity is a ham and two people'." LOL! Dorothy was the best!

Lee

Make a warm potato salad with the veggies & add some pesto mayo or throw in with mixed greens & your favorite vinaigrette.

Also all those ingredients would be good in scrambled eggs with some hot sauce.

We like ham and scalloped potatoes. Your fresh asparagus would go great with that...you could cook it right in with the ham and potatoes.

I also like to use leftover ham to make ham salad for sandwiches. I grind together ham, mild cheddar cheese, and hard boiled eggs. To that I add sweet pickle relish, Miracle Whip, and mustard to taste. Not only is it good cold, but it makes a great toasted sandwich.

Last edited:
We had Ham for Easter Too

This was the Easter Bunnies we made

Attachments

• KimEaster2007.jpg
    KimEaster2007.jpg
    56.3 KB · Views: 218
Thanks for the ideas. I cooked cubes of potato and chunks of asparagus and chopped ham in celery soup with a can of milk and about 1/2 c. shredded cheddar. Seasoned with Thyme, Garlic powder and black pepper. I reserved some of the liquid to mix up biscuits to put on top. Added the very tips of asparagus just before baking. It was very good, maybe a little salty.

I love ham added to creamed asaparagus on toast. Great lunch on a cool day.

My parents always made a Czech dish from leftover ham. I don't know the correct spelling, but phonetically it's called "Fleetchkee".

Basically, all it is is a bag of wide egg noodles, cooked & drained, then combined with your favorite cheese sauce & the diced ham. Then the mixture is put in a greased 9 x 13 baking dish, the top is sprinkled with some dry seasoned bread crumbs, & the whole thing is baked until heated through & the top is lightly browned/crusty.

Back
Top Bottom