"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Beef, Pork, Lamb & Venison > Pork

Old 06-06-2005, 08:02 PM   #1
Cook

Need to tweak

Today i made a pork chop braised in applejuice with salt, pepper, and a sprig of rosemary. I must of cooked it for about fifteen to twenty minutes, and it came out much to tender. It almost dissolved in my mouth, any tips??

"I don't want to achieve immortality through my work, I want to achieve it by not dying." - Woody Allen
mitch_the_chef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2005, 08:58 PM   #2
Master Chef

My first question would have to be ... how thick was the pork chop? Second - how high was the temp?

Old 06-06-2005, 09:02 PM   #3
Cook

My mistake

I think it was about an inch thick. I also think i got braising mixed up sorry I keep making mistakes today. Anyway I put it on a pan on the stovetop and filled it with applejuice almost to the top of the porkchop and added the rosemary, salt and pepper. It was on meidium high heat.

"I don't want to achieve immortality through my work, I want to achieve it by not dying." - Woody Allen
Old 06-06-2005, 09:07 PM   #4
Master Chef

Mistakes are tough, but, you wouldn't learn without them, sweetie. Keep up the good work.
Old 06-06-2005, 09:25 PM   #5
Cook

Thanks its just i think i messed up in the corn breab/cake forum i made today. Well I guess you must be right, that made me feel much better.

Old 06-06-2005, 09:33 PM   #6
Master Chef

Mitch, there are not very many 14 year olds that are even interested in cooking, much less, wanting to learn new things! We're all proud of you for your learning. You'll learn more as you go, noone came from the womb cooking. Even the best chefs had to learn from mistakes. Your doing just fine. Just don't forget to have fun while you cook. I forget to do that sometimes and I have step back and breathe and remember that I like to cook, and it's not a chore.
Old 06-06-2005, 10:43 PM   #7
Cook

Thanks Alot!

I guess i just need to have fun, and i do. Just sometimes i get all mad about relatively small things. Thanks!

Your pal,
Mitch

Old 06-06-2005, 11:14 PM   #8
Head Chef

Send a message via AIM to college_cook
I think your problem was that applejuice has too much acid. Have you ever seen that science experiment in school where you drop a bit of beef into some coke, to watch the effect it has on it? The coke's acid basically dissolves the beef, and while applejuice is nowhere near as acidic as soda, that's probably what caused you problem. Next time you try chops like this, try only putting in enough applejuice to cover the bottom of the pan, and I think you'll want to be cooking in a medium temp. range.
Old 06-06-2005, 11:22 PM   #9
Executive Chef

Next time, use a different cut of pork. A whole pork roast or pork loin roast is what you want to use. A 1" thick pork chop cooks much too quickly and is already too tender a cut for braising. For your liquid, use 3 parts of chicken stock per every 1 part of apple juice if you want apple flavor. When braising, the liquid should come up to at least 3/4 the way up the sides of the meat. Braising is also mainly used for cuts of meat that normally too tough to eat through quicker cooking methods like sauteeing (i.e. You would never braise a Filet Mignon). The best way to cook the pork chops would be just to pan sear or grill. The apple juice would be fine to then de-glaze the pan with to make a pan-gravy, but again you would want to use some sort of buffer like chicken stock or else the sauce will be too sweet.
Old 06-07-2005, 03:38 PM   #10
Chef Extraordinaire

I'm with ironchef. But what I would do is fry up some nice tart apple slices to go with that chop. (Doesn't hurt to add some sliced onions to the apples, either.)

Tags
None