"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Soups, Stews & Casseroles > Slow Cookers

Old 12-08-2007, 11:42 AM   #21
Senior Cook

I think they over-cook a lot of stuff..sometimes has a kinda scorched taste or it just cooks all the flaver out of meats..It may have something to do if you slow cook all day or do the faster high setting temps.

Old 12-08-2007, 07:55 PM   #22
Assistant Cook

Hmmm. That's interesting. I was just debating whether or not to ask for a crockpot for Christmas.

If I do get one, I'll have to see if anything tastes odd to me.

Old 12-08-2007, 09:06 PM   #23
Head Chef

Definitely ask Santa for one! They do have their place.
Old 12-08-2007, 09:07 PM   #24
Cook

I always have a problem with cooking beef. I have never had an odd taste. It just dries out. Pork comes out great for me. I think it depends on which brand you use as well. I would never have anything but a Rival. Crock-Pot is a registered trademark and Rival owns the name and are the only ones allowed to use it. Everything else is just a slow cooker. In my opinion the older models seem to work better and cook more evenly. I do agree with everyone here. Certain things cook better in a slow cooker and other things cook better in the oven.
Old 12-11-2007, 09:59 AM   #25
Assistant Cook

I'm new to this site. It looks great. Just purchased my third crockpot and this one comes with more specific details about cleaning before using. It says - and I'm condensing it - to not use the cooker until it's been used with water first. Clean both the insert (soap and water) and base (wiped clean) and then to run it on high with two cups of water in it for 20 minutes. Mentions a slight odor being emitted but disappearing.
It seems that there is a production oil or chemical that must still be there when it leaves the plant. None of my other units mentioned this. I'll bet that's what you're getting in the flavor. Hope this helps.
Old 12-19-2007, 10:14 PM   #26
Chef Extraordinaire

crock pot taste

i have used mine for many years for many things. we usually have turkey and ham at thanksgiving. turkey in oven, ham in pot.

never noticed any odd taste. strange thing though

babe
Old 12-22-2007, 09:56 PM   #27
Senior Cook

Location: northern Michigan in the forest, overlooking a waterfall
For a busy family with everyone working or at school, the crock pot in the 70's was my saviour. I would stick in one of the chickens, or a ham on top of some sauerkraut. Sometimes I made a spinach, egg, cottage cheese dish the kids loved. At night I would put the oatmeal in so it was ready for breakfast. I always loved potroast in it, but usually I browned it in a skillet first. I got out of the habit of using it for a long time but now I'm back to using it for sausage and sauerkraut supper, or pork loin. The ham (with the bone in) is melt in your mouth. I often do one of those, and then divide the tender meat up into portions for cooking in omelets, scalloped potatoes, etc. for the next month. btw, I've got 3 crock pots and have been through at least 4 of them since the 70's when they came out. And mulled cider kept in one all the while during the Christmas party is very handy.
Old 12-24-2007, 08:11 PM   #28
Head Chef

Hmmm, I've used slow cookers/crock pots for years and have never had a situation of an odd taste creeping into the food. Perhaps if you could describe the taste perhaps it will give a clue about what it might be coming from.

The biggest difference I find in slow cookers is that some flavors are enhanced because of the extended slow cooking time. If you are using stale spices or other ingredients, it is possible that staleness is being enhanced???
Old 04-08-2008, 10:04 PM   #29
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by elaine l View Post
Definitely ask Santa for one! They do have their place.
I share Elaine's comment: they have their place. For the many traditional casserole-type meals they are great: beans with whatever; potato casserole; split-pea and ham; etc. These kind of meals are wonderful in a slow cooker.

The oven is for things you want a crust on, or to crisp the outside of something. A crock pot or slow cooker wont' do that for you. It sure keeps your meal moist and tender, though.

Tags
None