My version of Chex Mix

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Joshatdot

Senior Cook
4oz Chex Rice
4oz Chex Corn
8oz Chex Wheat
6oz Bagel Chips
6oz of Pretzel Stix
16oz Fancy Mixed Nuts
16oz Roasted Peanuts
2 stix butter (1/2 lb)
1tbsp Garlic Powder
1tbsp Seasoned Salt
1 Big Roaster Pan

Preheat oven to 225*F

I first made this with 6oz of Chex Rice & Corn .. but it came out too Chexy, so this one with less should be better. I forgot to add Cheerios that is in Scrabble, but even if I did there wouldn't be room in the pan.

Mix all of the dry in the roaster pan. Melt the butter in a pot & add the garlic & salt. Drizzle the butter over the mix and try and even it out. Bake the mix for 2 hours, and re-mix it every 20 mins.

Attachments

• DSC_4176.JPG
    DSC_4176.JPG
    310 KB · Views: 1,974
I love Chex Mix. My mother made it every holiday and called it "kitty litter" I am now trying to carry on the family tradition.

The thing I always liked about Chex Mix was the light sprinkling of Worcestershire sauce. It gives it a nice earthy flavor.

Last edited:
My mom always made it, and I loved it. Last year when visiting me, she decided to make some, a quadruple batch, since she had a bit of wine prior, she confused tsp with tbs and that was some really salty chex mix!

I love it too. I found several versions on the back of the chex boxes but they all use the microwave!!! Somehow, I don't think that will get the same crunchiness of an oven. There were no instructions for stovetop/oven conversions either.:glare:

Last edited:
I can't get Chex up here so I make "nuts and bolts" with the stuff I can get. Its become a family tradition and its one of the things I HAVE to give away to certain people every year. LOL!

I've been looking for instructions too. The commodity box I get every month often has boxes of cereal, including one with two kinds of hex shaped chex type of mixed corn and rice. I also saved a box of oat o's too. I have raisins and craisins. All I need are pretzels and nuts and they are on the list.

I looked up instructions but as you know, I only found microwave. Not only do I think they wouldn't get crispy, but I wouldn't have room in my microwave.

I googled chex mix oven directions and found one from chex, you just have to scroll down past the microwave directions.

I don't have a big pan, so I'll probably just make a foil pan. I don't see why that wouldn't work.

Last edited:
When I first started making Chex mix, the recipe I had said to melt the butter/margarine in a large electric skillet, then add all the seasonings and stir to mix. Then I was to add the cereals etc. and stir to coat. With the temperature at like 225 degrees Fahrenheit, I was to cook the mix for an hour, stirring to recoat every 15 minutes. It really was quite good.

I've been looking for instructions too. The commodity box I get every month often has boxes of cereal, including one with two kinds of hex shaped chex type of mixed corn and rice. I also saved a box of oat o's too. I have raisins and craisins. All I need are pretzels and nuts and they are on the list.

I looked up instructions but as you know, I only found microwave. Not only do I think they wouldn't get crispy, but I wouldn't have room in my microwave.

I googled chex mix oven directions and found one from chex, you just have to scroll down past the microwave directions.

I don't have a big pan, so I'll probably just make a foil pan. I don't see why that wouldn't work.

Zhizara, I posted my recipe and method here. You can use cookie sheets too. If you are making smaller batches its easy to 1/2 my recipe.

months ago I was searching for something, i forget, and found this Scrabble recipe, and I couldn't wait to make it for the holidays. I Google'd Scrabble mix recipe, and found even more variations. I was trying to make the Scrabble I found months ago, but was trying to 1/2 the batch .. and forgot to add the Cheerios (but they wouldn't have fit in the pan anyways)

Anyone have a recipe for a "health food nut"? I don't buy those kinds of cereals and I don't buy pretzels made with white flour.

Anyone have a recipe for a "health food nut"? I don't buy those kinds of cereals and I don't buy pretzels made with white flour.

You can use any kind of cereal you want. I know my seasoning recipe has been made with gluten free types of cereals and rice crackers.

I can't get Chex up here so I make "nuts and bolts" with the stuff I can get. Its become a family tradition and its one of the things I HAVE to give away to certain people every year. LOL!

copied your recipe. also went on the kellogg site and found a lovely recipe. "ranch medley mix. sounds like a winner.

Baking some this morning

3oz Chex Rice
3oz Chex Corn
6oz Chex Wheat
6oz Bagel Chips
6oz Pretzel Stix
16oz Fancy Mixed Nuts
16oz Peanuts
2 Stix Butter (1/2 lb)
3 tbsp Worcestershire Sauce
1 tbsp Garlic Powder
1 tbsp Seasoned Salt
1 Big Roaster Pan

Bake in the oven for 1 hour at 250*F string every 15 mins .. can't wait for it to be done :wub:

edit: What do you do to drizzle the butter stuff on the mix? I was just using the small pot & wisker to try and drizzle it evenly.

Last edited:
edit: What do you do to drizzle the butter stuff on the mix? I was just using the small pot & wisker to try and drizzle it evenly.

I used a measuring cup with a spout, so I could drizzle a little at a time using wide sweeps side to side and end to end of the pan, mix some more, drizzle some more, etc. I had a roaster pan 3/4 full, so cooking time was 1-1/2 hours until all the moisture was taken up and mix was crispy. It worked just fine.

Zhizara .. I was going to use a measuring cup, but I think I did ok with the wisk helping me drizzle/splash some out. What I really wanted was a Turkey Baster, but with like a diffuser nozzle .. hehe.

It's done baking .. just letting it sit and cool/dry out some. I like this batch better .. not as Chexy/cerealy as my 1st batch. The extra Worcest sauce gave it a better tang taste. I think it came out a bit too salty .. will check on saltyness over time as we eat it.

Attachments

• DSC_4237.JPG
    DSC_4237.JPG
    347.8 KB · Views: 285
Last edited:
Looks just like mine, except I made a little less so I would have room to mix. I was afraid of it being too salty, and substituted more seasoned salt instead of the garlic salt, but put a little less than called for, just to be sure. It came out great. I love it that instead of a sandwich when I get hungry, I can just eat some of this instead. I'd even go so far as to say it's good for you.

Looks just like mine, except I made a little less so I would have room to mix. I was afraid of it being too salty, and substituted more seasoned salt instead of the garlic salt, but put a little less than called for, just to be sure. It came out great. I love it that instead of a sandwich when I get hungry, I can just eat some of this instead. I'd even go so far as to say it's good for you.
:LOL: Good for you with 1/2lb of butter!:LOL:

I LOVE Chex Mix .. but I think this batch is a little too salty. Next batch I'll 1/2 the Seasoned Salt (the garlic I used is just powder). This mix seems to well balanced with the dry stuff .. maybe more pretzle sticks. I like them broken in 1/2, because it's abit hard to mash a handfull of mix in your mouth with big sticks poking out :LOL:

Back
Top Bottom