Bottom freezer, 3 door refridgerators

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I have a GE Profile bottom style freezer and I love it.

It has two trays that slide out making it very easy to find things.

Usually had our top freezer so full you couldn't find anything and things would fall out as you moved the stuff around.

That does not happen with the bottom freezer.

Always will buy a bottom freezer in the future.

parents have one, a ge i think. it is becoming more difficult every year for them to get things out of the freezer as it is so low to the floor. something to condsider if yer knees ain't so springy anymore...

Yakuta said:
In my house I chose to go with a seperate freezer and a seperate refrigerator. Sharing the two (either top bottom, bottom top or side by side) never gave me enough space either in the refrigerator or freezer.

I have a GE Monogram built in series. They are tall and have tons of storage.

Yakuta that is the ideal way to go, but unfortunately I do not have the room for that luxury. YOu are lucky. Also I never liked the side by side units, always felt they did not hold as much.

Hi Norgeskog, completely understand. This is the one appliance I splurged big time on. All my other appliances are more modest. This one saves me from making many many grocery and farmer market trips since I notice veggies and fruits stay fresher a lot longer due to the vaccum feature in it.

Yakuta

Yakuta said:
In my house I chose to go with a seperate freezer and a seperate refrigerator. Sharing the two (either top bottom, bottom top or side by side) never gave me enough space either in the refrigerator or freezer. I have to say I am sure glad I went that route.

Now I have plenty of space in my freezer to stack up stuff I need to and have ample space in my refrigerator for gallons and gallons of milk bottles and juices for my growing boys.

I have a GE Monogram built in series. They are tall and have tons of storage.

Just was wondering if you would share the price on this? My fridge must be almost 10 years old and if I could have my way would prefer this one. Do you remember or was it an item that you just never had to worry about? You know what you want and you get it. As everyone has said never enough room and you seem to have resolved everyone's problem. Thanks. Don't feel hurt if you don't want to reveal. I just will keep on dreaming.

cats said:
I had a bottom drawer freezer/refrigerator at our last home and absolutely loved it! I had the drawer type rather than the side door opening type on the freezer so cold air didn't pour out as with side opening styles. Same goes for one unit freezer types, the side door style is less efficient than the top lid style because the cold doesn't pour out when open. When you think about it, you go into the refrigerator part of the unit tons more times a day than going into the freezer part and it's more reasonable to have the food you are most often looking for at an accessible height, so not so much bending over, i.e., to get in the veggie drawer, etc. At our current home, it came with a side by side refrigerator freezer and I find that the freezer side holds next to nothing and the fridge side doesn't hold large platters well at all. You definitely need a separate freezer if you plan to have anything more than about a week's worth of frozen food on hand. I'll definitely go with the bottom drawer freezer type with our next refrigerator, and I do kind of like the models where the fridge part as two doors, with the idea that even less air escapes when open. Have a great weekend everyone! :)

I totally agree, I had an Amana bottom freezer refrigerator and loved it. I moved into a new home which came with a big side by side, and I hate it. There's just no room in them. I had to go out and buy another extra refrigerator to hold all our food & frozen things. I will eventually replace the main refrigerator with a 3 door. I think they're wonderful and sensible, and if you keep the freezer somewhat organized, it's not a problem.

I've been staying out of this because I couldn't lay my hands on the article that I wanted, but I am sure that one of the major consumer testing magazines advised against this format due to price and an abysmal lack of storage.

IntheKitchen No I don't mind sharing. I went with a GE Monogram All Refrigerator that set me back by about 5000 and on top of that I had to pay installation, delivery and warranty. This is pretty much what the oversized built in's run. Subzero, GE and Northstar and some others make all refrigerator and freezer units.

For my all freezer I went with a Frigidaire 25.5 cubic feet frost free freezer and that set me back by about 1000 or 1200 or so but I can't remember for sure. Since my freezer is in my laundry room ( I have exact space to put a large freezer there) it all works out really well.

As I said it's not cheap but I have used avacado appliances (which needed to be defrosted manually) for a significant part of my life and I am truly thrilled at having this high end appliance which is not for show but gets true use out in my house.

Yakuta

Yakuta, thanks for sharing the price of your appliance. In my heart, I am thankful for someone that gets something that makes their life more easy. I agree it is costly but what is more important than having something you use daily and goes so smoothly. I will save your post as I am seriously thinking that you have the smart idea of putting priority on use and ease of your daily life. My hope is I too will be able to achieve that goal. You are very fortunate to know this quality of living. Thanks again and please don't consider me ignorant. It is just when my refrigerator has seen its last, I would like to have idea of what to replace it with. Guess I want to be prepared.

In the Kitchen no I would never think you are ignorant and with all the choices available nowadays (television ads, discussion boards and all this hype on kitchens) I would assume you can find these products and prices quite easily.

I count my blessings for being able to afford these and everything else I have. After you struggle for years you at some point take a step back and do something nice for yourself and for me it's my kitchen which is my little haven.

Wise

May you always receive what you need. That is exactly my hope for you. You sound so appreciative of your gifts in life. May it continue and that you won't need repairman for LONG time. Wish you much happiness. Grateful for your honesty and consideration.

We bought an Amana refrigerator with bottom freezer when we remodeled the kitchen. It is the pull out drawer style and we like it a lot. Don't seem to lose as much stuff in it as we did in the old fridge. We also have a regular upright freezer in the basement for longer term storage (we buy our beef on the hoof, a side at a time). :)

I like a chest or drawer type freezer best. Simple fact is that cold air falls and hot air rises. With a chest or drawer ... the cold air (falling) will remain inside ... if you have an upright freezer when you open the door the cold air falls out and down.

Back
Top Bottom