KitchenAid Stand Mixer

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

I tried to fix the links but this is what they say. I am sorry the photos would not copy here.

MIXFINDER’S COMPARISON -- KA MODEL G VS. KITCHENAID PRO 620
Does whipping egg whites in a Copper mixer make the whites stiffen faster?

I have been enjoying Leolady's Model G and it has opened a new mixer conundrum for me. If I had to choose one Kitchenaid mixer for the rest of my life, what would it be. I have had a niggling frustration with every planetary drive mixer on the planet regardless of brand or size until I experienced the wider bowl on the Pro series. For the first time ever, without any assist or scraping, the last dribs of creamed mixture around the dimple at the bottom of the bowl were all evenly mixed after adding the dry ingredients. Leo has her head so far in the 5 quart bowl of the Model G/N-50 she won't even look at a Pro Series. So she and I have begun to look over the fence into each other's kitchen.

Here you see the 5 quart on the left and the 6 quart on the right. The model G has a one speed motor and the choice of 3 gears for changing the speed of the beater. The Pro 620 has infinite speed control beginning with Stir and increasing to 10. The Model G is extremely quiet and all you hear is the hum of the motor. The 575 watt Pro is not unlike listening to a jet in take off while its thrust is equal to the same. Each mixer has a comparable dough hook, whisk and flat beater. For a small amount more when buying the model G you could add a pastry knife which does a splendid job of cutting fat into flour. With the Pro you can purchase an 11 wire balloon whip.
Here you see the 5 quart on the left and the 6 quart on the right. The model G has a one speed motor and the choice of 3 gears for changing the speed of the beater. The Pro 620 has infinite speed control beginning with Stir and increasing to 10. The Model G is extremely quiet and all you hear is the hum of the motor. The 575 watt Pro is not unlike listening to a jet in take off while its thrust is equal to the same. Each mixer has a comparable dough hook, whisk and flat beater. For a small amount more when buying the model G you could add a pastry knife which does a splendid job of cutting fat into flour. With the Pro you can purchase an 11 wire balloon whip.

The dough hook for the G is C shaped while the Pro has it's ubiquitous spiral hook. You will see varieties in commercial kitchens.

I was very surprised to see the evolution of the paddle over 70 years. Talk about bone density, where did all the cross bars go?

Is there a metal shortage? Look at what happened to the whip. I didn't know we were under steel rationing.

All at once there was going to more to this than a quart bowl capacity difference to compare. I was very anxious to see how each attachment would perform in daily mixing tasks.

After using both machines extensively I am more convinced I want a tilt head mixer as a daily driver. I like the mixing action of the Pro series with wide bowl. I think it is the single greatest advance Kitchenaid has made since planetary action. I am too spoiled with infinite speed control to go back to turning off the mixer and shifting gears to change speeds. If I was an attachment hound the Model G wins hands down because of it quiet motor and lack of gear stress or over heating. At the end of the day the ease of using the tilt head calls to me and it feels intuitive after so many years. I am going to keep the chrome 4C on the counter for now but will keep the next Ultra I find on craigslist or estate sale. The Ultra is quiet, easy to use, has a small footprint and will do any mixing task I ask. I'll keep the Pro for bread or ridiculously difficult mixing tasks but mostly to hear people ooh and ahh when they see it.

The pastry made in the model G was pure perfection. The dough from the Pro 620 was a tad more soft because the paddle rubs more flour into the Crisco.

I was very impressed with the Model G and how easily it mixed the cake batter without any manual assist and there was not a speck on the counter to clean up.
I happily began mixing the frosting and instantly remembered why I am not fond of narrow bowl mixers as the butter was stuck on the sides of the bowl and in the tines of the whip. The added width of the Pro series bowl makes adding ingredients a breeze. The balloon whisk did a fabulous job of aerating the frosting.

For anyone who is interested Tuesday Morning will be running a sale on the KitchenAid Pro 450 Stand Mixer in their stores on April 8-10. The price will be $199.99.

I just bought another Hobart K5A today!

This lightly used one is for my cousin Edith. She will be thrilled, and I only paid about $100 for it.

For anyone who is interested Tuesday Morning will be running a sale on the KitchenAid Pro 450 Stand Mixer in their stores on April 8-10. The price will be $199.99.

Just reminding people that this sale goes into effect this weekend. I got my flyer from Tuesday Morning today and it is listed in the flyer. If I hadn't already got the Artisan I would definitely go for this one, $199 for the Pro 450 Stand Mixer.

Just bought a used kitchen aid- no instructions!!! Crazy right! Any info. Padle and whisk - no dough thingy. What speeds do i use for what and which thingy do i use for what????????

Call Kitchenaid customer service. They can send you a link or a hard copy of the manual.

Costco is running a discount coupon of $50 off on a KitchenAid Professional 5.5 Qt Stand Mixer. The coupon is valid from April 14 through May 8.

I know there was someone who posted that they were planning to buy this one from Costco. I don't remember who it was. In case they haven't bought it yet, now is the time. If they have, I would return it with the receipt and re-purchase with the coupon since so little time has passed. I think they give you a month or two to return electrics but they are very good with returns. It is possible they would apply the $50 coupon but I don't think it is likely because you need to buy it at the time the coupon is valid.

my tax return cant come quick enuff .. there is a nice deal on Craigslist for a K45SS I'd like to get.

what mixer attachments do you guys prefer: uncoated? coated? stainless?

Last edited:
Coated attachments can be put in the dishwasher, but the coating may eventually chip or flake off and require replacement. Uncoated attachments will be ruined by a dishwasher, but will last forever with modest amount of care. As far as know, stainless steel agitators are not available for KitchenAid mixers.

I have not noticed any difference in the mixing abilities of coated vs uncoated attachments.

My K45SS should be here early next week .. can't wait. I've done many calls to repair shops, and they all say the K45SS is a good mixer & has been around for many years. I'd liked to have gotten a K5SS or similar model, but have not seen a good deal on CL for one.

w00t! the K45SS arrived today. Its the good old Hobard made KitchenAid K45SS. It is very light gray with coated flat & dough & SS wisk. man this sucker runs so q-u-i-e-t-!

Going to make Oatmeal Raisin or CC cookies :chef:

Attachments

• IMG_0124.jpg
    IMG_0124.jpg
    40.8 KB · Views: 252
  • IMG_0125.JPG
    IMG_0125.JPG
    151.5 KB · Views: 178
Back
Top Bottom