New Refrigerator

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Constance

Master Chef
We are presently shopping for a new refrigerator.
The old one still works fine, but has no ice maker, and the freezer is on top, which means I have to do a lot of bending to get things out of the fridge. I have arthritis and degenerative disc disease, and the less bending I have to do the better, so we're looking for one with the drawer-type freezer in the bottom.
We have a limited amount of space, and don't want to spend more than $1500 or so. A friend of mine who is a repairment suggested an Amana.
I just wondered what kind of input you all would have. What brands have you have luck with?

IMO, icemakers are as finicky as a wet hen; we have one, but it has to be set just so - can't have too much water coming in, it'll jam; can't have too little, won't make enough cubes; fill up your freezer, and the darn thing freezes up. Give me an ice cube tray any day!

I have no complaints with my Frigidaire side by side.
We have left it on the factory settings and have had no trouble with it.
You just have to watch the filter and replace it every 6 months or so.
But I love the icemaker and water dispenser!

I have a Frigidaire bought Dec. 2000 as a gift from my mom. She chose the brand for it's name, thinking it's a solid, old name, and would be a good fridge. Two days before Christmas 1 day before the warranty expired, with the fridge full of food since we were getting guests, the compressor packed up. It was so hard to get a repair person come out, we literally ran to a 2nd store and bought an extra fridge for $90 and stuck it in the garage. It's old and ugly, but goes like a bomb. Meanwhile, the plastic braces on the doors of the Fridgidaire have all fallen apart. We've ordered replacements, but they fell apart too - and no, I'm not putting too many things in the door shelves. Fed up, I finally just duct taped them. It's a lousy Fridge, and the customer support has been poor. My mom is bitterly disappointed, and neither of us will ever buy a Fridgidaire again. I've been looking at other fridges lately, and they all seem to use the same molded plastic shelving.

We use refrigerators in our business rather than a walk-in. We had the same problem...but my husband fixed it. He took the plastic door brace....put metal on the back of it and screwed it on. Works great! Hope yours might be fixed the same way!

Back
Top Bottom