"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Cook's Tools

Old 10-12-2005, 07:29 PM   #11
Head Chef

We have 2 plain old manual can openers which get cycled through the dishwasher regularly. I could never see any logical reason for an electric opener unless one was disabled or opening 50 cans a day.

It just isn't that difficult to use a manual one, and let's face it.... most of us can use the exercise... minimal though it may be...

P.S. I always used to have a P38 on my keyring. It's a handy thing to have around...

Old 10-13-2005, 01:13 AM   #12
Master Chef

Ha! I still have a P38 on my key ring. The only problem with it is that every once in a great while, it will open in my pants pocket and snag a hole in the material. Then I have to repair the pocket with a good old needle and thread. And yes I do sew my own clothing when a seam rips or they are in need of small repairs. But I'm not a tailor or anything. I just kid of grew up to be pretty self reliant.

And did you know that when you turn the older style hand-operated can openers on their sides that they open a can just like the new side-slicing can openers do? I have done it many times, just for the novelty or it, or to impress someone who might never have thought of it. Imagine their surprise when they had just invested in one of the new ones, especially from an info-mercial, and then they watch me use my older style, but well made can opener, to do the same thing. And mine have never left metal shavings.

Sometimes I just can't resist pointing out the obvious to others. Oh wiat, that was my evil twin.

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2005, 12:39 PM   #13
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodweed of the North
Ha! I still have a P38 on my key ring...
Goodweed: Do you find that you actually have a need to open a can on the go?
Old 10-13-2005, 12:48 PM   #14
Master Chef

Once in a great while. i'm on the road frequently, and sometimes eat something from a can while stopping at a gas station ore grocery store.

Hey, what can I say. I like cold beans from a can.

Seeeeya; Goodweed of the Noth

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2005, 06:43 PM   #15
Master Chef

I have an electric can opener called "The Penguin", because of it's shape...It's tall enough to open a can of coffee. I like it just fine, and it's easier for me to use, as I don't have much strength in my hands anymore.
Y'all are right about how filthy the can opener blades get. Naturally, I can't throw my electric can opener in the dishwasher, but I clean them off with a soapy rag. I also wipe off the tops of the cans before I open them.
I quit the sponges years ago...I use dish cloths that I can bleach, and get out a clean one every day.
I also keep a small bottle of Clorox under my kitchen sink, and use it to clean cutting boards, etc. Much as I love the old wooden cutting boards, I've switched to the synthetic ones for sanitary reasons. I also like to use separate cutting boards for meats and vegies.
Old 10-13-2005, 10:58 PM   #16
Executive Chef

I have one of the newer "geared" swing-open can openers, there both the blade and the wheel that grips the can provide torque to move the can. I like it, as the handle for turning is nice and big, and it's easier to open a can with. I wash that thing daily, as we use it daily around here. Somewhere, we should have a second one, but I have no earthly idea where it is.

My MIL brought over a couple electric cans openers, both of which were filthy. One I cleaned up, as I was thinking about using it, especially since it had a knife sharpening attachment on the back (I was going to use that for her cheap knives, not my good ones). I was actually able to remove ALL the gripping and cutting pieces. They were designed to be removed and cleaned regularly. I was able to get the entire unit cleaned, put back together, running, etc. I tried opening up a can later that night, and the darn thing wouldn't cut through the lid!