"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Cook's Tools
Old 11-27-2007, 03:11 PM   #1
Senior Cook
Does anyone have a salt grinder?

I was looking at this salt/pepper grinder combo:

Buy Black'n' White by Jakob Wagner for Stelton. Worldwide shipping!

And I got to wondering if a salt grinder is good or not. I know freshly ground black pepper is always nice, but does grinding the salt make it better? Does anyone here use a salt grinder instead of just table salt at the table? Just curious if I should buy the set or just the pepper grinder. I kind of like the look of the set though...

crankin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2007, 03:15 PM   #2
Master Chef
Salt grinders are for show. Grinding the salt doesn't do anything but make the crystals smaller.

The kind of coarse sea salt that you'd use in a grinder is available in a fine grain, too.

The kinds of coarse sea salt that you can't find in a fine grain are usually expensive finishing salts and inappropriate for a table grinder, IMO. Plus their larger grain is part of their attraction.

But they do look nice on the table, so if you like the look, why not?

Less is not more. More is more and more is fabulous.
jennyema is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2007, 03:19 PM   #3
Chief Eating Officer
What I came in to post.
You know you can't resist clicking
this link. Your eyes will thank you. VISUAL BLISS
GB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2007, 03:19 PM   #4
Master Chef
Send a message via Yahoo to ChefJune
I bought one a few years ago, so I could buy GIANT boxes of the large sea salt and grind it down for when I wanted fine, but the truth is that the stuff leaks all over the counter and makes a grand mess!

Besides, I never put salt and pepper on the table when I'm serving dinner, and the one I have is not "for show," anyhow.

It's far easier to buy two sizes of sea salt, and/or, serve your salt at table in a pretty bowl with a little spoon. That's what the starred restaurants in France do...
Wine is the food that completes the meal.
ChefJune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2007, 04:08 PM   #5
Head Chef
I was given a set of salt and pepper grinders as a gift. I keep them in my office desk and use them on my lunches, but if I ate dinner at a table, I'd definitely put them there.

They work well and the coarsely ground s and p taste terrific on my soups and salads. And, yes, they DO look great, too - I love 'em!

QSis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2007, 04:19 PM   #6
Executive Chef
I have my good salt, my better salt, and my best salt. For those who want more at the table, they get to use the salt grinder. Mine works fine.
Practice safe lunch. Use a condiment.
Loprraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2007, 04:35 PM   #7
Head Chef
I have a salt grinder and like it for no apparent reason. Just like the grinding part I guess.
elaine l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2007, 06:12 PM   #8
Assistant Cook
I have a grinder For SeaSALt...
I use it for cooking (adjustments coarse to fine) rarely for table.Sea salt does taste better and I believe it's healthier....
unabashed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2007, 01:18 PM   #9
Senior Cook
I was given a salt grinder and loved it, but it died. This fall when I replaced my pepper grinder, I bought a peugeot salt and pepper grinder set, and love them at the table. My old peugeot sits at the stove where I don't mind seeing that it got chewed by the grandpup. I like grinding the sea salt on my dinner.
Cordel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2007, 01:53 PM   #10
Executive Chef
I use my mortise/pestle for my bottle of seasoned salt. The crystals are almost the size of tic-tacs.

Jeekinz is offline   Reply With Quote