"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Cook's Tools

Old 01-18-2008, 06:06 PM   #11
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by krichardson View Post
I have been searching far and wide for a microplane, where did you guys get yours? The only place I found that carried them was a gourmet food store but they wanted $25 for it, and I was sure I would be able to find one for cheaper. Thanks for any help!

Google microplane and you will have a huge sepection of places to buy one.

Old 01-18-2008, 06:20 PM   #12
Cook

right you are andy m., thanks so much!

Old 01-18-2008, 06:36 PM   #13
Senior Cook

Send a message via Yahoo to goodgiver
Zester

I got my microplane at our local hardware store. No need to pay a high price at a kitchen store. I also, due to the high price of fruit, that when we do purchase any citurs fruit after we have eaten the good stuff inside I zest the rind then put it into vaccuum bags and freeze it. The zest freezes very well due to all the oils in it. That way I always have Zests when a recipe calls for it.
Old 01-18-2008, 08:24 PM   #14
Senior Cook

Quote:
I have been searching far and wide for a microplane, where did you guys get yours? The only place I found that carried them was a gourmet food store but they wanted $25 for it, and I was sure I would be able to find one for cheaper. Thanks for any help!
Amazon has them for about $12 for the one I have (red handle, 1 inch wide and about 12 inches long including the handle) They also have some for like $8.95. Unfortunately, you may have to pay shipping unless you are buying a minimum dollar amount or they are running a special.

I found the exact one they had for $12 + 5.99 shipping at my local kitchen store for $12, so I snapped it up.

My old zester worked OK for citrus, but it just "juiced" fresh ginger and left a stringy mess on the blades.

But what do you expect for a $2.99 zester?

There are other online sites that have them too, but shipping will always be an issue with small purchases.

If you have a bunch of friends that like to cook (or need to cook), maybe you can all get together and put in a bigger order.
Old 01-19-2008, 05:27 AM   #15
Senior Cook

I was perusing Williams Sonoma a few weeks back and found a box grater-style Microplane with both fine and coarse sides as well as this goofy finger guard/loading chute. It was on closeout for $18 (from $25-30) so I figured it'd be worth it so I could keep my regular Microplanes out in the garage!

When it comes down to it, Microplanes are just about the best in the zest.
Old 01-19-2008, 06:28 AM   #16
Senior Cook

I was watching maybe the discovery channel and it was how they process lemons from the tree to your supermarket shelf. It was one of those big name brands for fruit. The lemons and other citrus were shown going through chemical baths an acid and a chlorine I think it was. Anyway at the end it was," here are the lemons being dipped in dye to put back their color and in this tank they are given a waxy layer before being crated for distribution'. Since that show I buy organic when I want zest.
Old 01-19-2008, 06:44 AM   #17
Senior Cook

Microplane makes a series of planers in different grades. They have ones that are paddle like 2-3" wide x 4-5" long. As I remember those are 5 grades from very course to extra fine. The medium grates both ways. You can get them all stainless steel, stainless with a plastic handle or stainless steel grater in a plastic frame with a plastic handle. Price varies accoringly.

They have the file type 1 1/2" wide and 'bout 10" long in three courseness. There is a smaller 6" half round rod that is fine for nutmeg. They have other products as well such as a nutmeg grater that has its own container.

Cooks Illustrated was giving away a free one with your paid sudscription a file one with no handle
Old 01-19-2008, 10:16 AM   #18
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
I got mine at TJ Maxx or someplace like it, for $5.
Old 01-19-2008, 10:51 AM   #19
Cook

Thanks everyone! I guess I will just have to look a little harder next time I go out. I've looked in all the grocery stores and walmart type stores, but ya'll have proven me wrong. Thank you for all your suggestions!
Old 01-19-2008, 06:00 PM   #20
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by mozart View Post
I agree. If you don't have a Microplane Zester, invest the $12 or so in one. Mine came with a neat plastic sleeve so no worries about storing in a drawer.
Or you could go to a hardware store and buy a painter's rhasp (I think that's what it's called...I discovered them after I got bilked out of 15 bucks for one at a big box retailer) for about a dollar fifty....which is the EXACT same thing.