Canning this year?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
So far this year Ive already canned a crap ton of beef and pork and bunch of beef stock. Ive canned a couple gallons of turkey soup.

If my tomatoes do well I plan on having lots and lots of tomato juice. I have around 50 tomato plants. We will see what happens. We just love tomato juice. My wife drinks it plain and ice cold. I put it in my beer.

Ah, yes, stock. I make mostly chicken. I can get 10 pound bags of leg quarters for 29 to 69 cents a pound sometimes. When I do, I separate the legs and thighs and pack them for the freezer, and cut off the piece of backbone on the top of the thigh. That bit of back goes into the pressure canner with celery, onions and carrots, 15 pounds of pressure for an hour or so. Strain, chill and defat, and can it in quarts and pints in the pressure cooker.

Liquid gold, I call it. Makes everything taste better. I will never used canned or bullion cubes again.

So far this year Ive already canned a crap ton of beef and pork and bunch of beef stock. Ive canned a couple gallons of turkey soup.

If my tomatoes do well I plan on having lots and lots of tomato juice. I have around 50 tomato plants. We will see what happens. We just love tomato juice. My wife drinks it plain and ice cold. I put it in my beer.

A crap ton of stock! That sounds so appetizing! ;) :ROFLMAO:

Ah, yes, stock. I make mostly chicken. I can get 10 pound bags of leg quarters for 29 to 69 cents a pound sometimes. When I do, I separate the legs and thighs and pack them for the freezer, and cut off the piece of backbone on the top of the thigh. That bit of back goes into the pressure canner with celery, onions and carrots, 15 pounds of pressure for an hour or so. Strain, chill and defat, and can it in quarts and pints in the pressure cooker.

Liquid gold, I call it. Makes everything taste better. I will never used canned or bullion cubes again.

You meant cooked in the pressure cooker and canned in the pressure canner, right? ;)

I should see if I can find a pressure canner on Craigslist or something.

GotGarlic, I cooked it in the canner. I forget what size it is, but I end up with 4-6 quarts of stock. Scrub it out, can the jars.

You can cook in a canner, but you can't can in a cooker.

Never mind, I see what I did.

And, yes, you should buy a pressure cooker or canner, depending on what you want to do. Makes quick work of beans, pot roast, spaghetti sauce . . .

Last edited:
I wonder if you could dry can pasties:ermm:. Anybody ever hear of dry caning food items, maybe some pot pies, or mini fruit pies, maybe some pan fried brookys, etc. What about perfectly grill burgers that ahd been cooked over charcoal?

Seeeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

I have a pressure cooker - love it. I don't have a pressure canner, though.

I have multiples of both. I don't know what I would do without my pressure canners. Only thing is they shrink my peaches. I stuff that jar as full as I can. When it comes out its only half full. They slowly expand but never back to full size. I water bath is my pickles and thats abut it..

In 2016, I made pizza sauce, thick tomato sauce, ketchup, and salsa. 80 ish quarts of the stuff.

It's 2017
I'm only going to make thick tomato sauce, I have enough of the other tomato products in the pantry from last year.
I blanched and froze 9 quarts of pea pods in the past couple days.
I'm currently pressure canning 7 quarts of green beans.
Tomorrow it will be two pints or so of green beans and then fill the canner with pinto or kidney beans in pint jars.
So that's how I'm kicking off the canning season. How about you, what are you up to canning or otherwise putting up food?

I also love canning stock, I also mostly can chicken stock. I always buy my chicken whole and butcher it, throwing the skin, bones and cartilage in a bag that I keep in the freezer until I have enough for a batch.
But...my favorite thing to do is to concentrate my stock very slowly (and this can take two days as on day one after the stock is made, I refrigerate it and skim off ALL fat (which I hold aside for cooking). Then on day two I spend the day reducing it until it is syrupy. I pour that syrup in thin layers in my dehydrator and dehydrate until dry like glass. Put that in my spice blender and powder it for the best bullion you have ever tasted. Great for when you need just a bit of stock and don't want to open a whole jar. Also perfect in a mug to coddle a cold or flu.

This is my blueberry/lime jam...a new recipe that turned out to be the best I've ever made. There were four more jars but once the family finds out I'm canning they all show up for their booty.
The other jar is my strawberry yogurt mix. I find that when I make strawberry jam I always have leftover fruit...never enough for another batch, so I make a simple syrup and add the strawberries to it. My grandson loves yogurt and I mix this in plain yogurt for him. Also great for pancakes, ice cream topping and sometimes I mix this in heavy cream for homemade strawberry ice cream. I refuse to show my strawberry jam...I used the European form of canning for them this year and the fruit separated. Once opened and mixed it stays mixed but I find it unacceptable for gift giving or photographing.

I loved the blueberry/lime jam so much, I went back to the farm yesterday and got 3 more quarts. Here on Long Island our berry season is about 3 weeks long. Strawberries get three weeks in June, blueberries get about 3 weeks in late July/early August so if you blink, you miss it.

Attachments

• bb jam.jpg
    bb jam.jpg
    47.7 KB · Views: 145
Last edited:
I can year round. Hotsauce, chilli relish, beetroot, pickled veggies, jam, cordials, lemon curd, preserved lemons, atchar, chutney, chakalaka, pickled eggs, ketchup, mustard and pretty much anything I can get my hands on.

I'm gearing up for chokecherry season. Chokecherries look to be the fruit of the year for me. I canned a lot of them in 2014, peaches in 2015, apples last year and Dh is back working at the source for the chokecherries, how fortunate!!

But...my favorite thing to do is to concentrate my stock very slowly (and this can take two days as on day one after the stock is made, I refrigerate it and skim off ALL fat (which I hold aside for cooking). Then on day two I spend the day reducing it until it is syrupy. I pour that syrup in thin layers in my dehydrator and dehydrate until dry like glass. Put that in my spice blender and powder it for the best bullion you have ever tasted. Great for when you need just a bit of stock and don't want to open a whole jar. Also perfect in a mug to coddle a cold or flu.

I never in a 1/2 a million years would have thought of that. What an excellent idea.
I'm canning dry beans today. And sorting through all the canning rings and lids.

I never in a 1/2 a million years would have thought of that. What an excellent idea.
I'm canning dry beans today. And sorting through all the canning rings and lids.
You will love it! But you MUST get every speck of fat out or it will spoil.

The other thing is dehydrate tomato pulp and grind it into tomato powder. Love having dehydrated stock on hand.

What am I canning this year?

Bread and Butter Pickles - 4 cases.
Green Beans - 2 cases
Diced tomatoes - 2 cases
San Marzano Tomato Sauce - 3 cases
Heirloom Tomato Salsa - 1 case
Banana Peppers - 1 case
Pork cubes - 1 case
Venison cubes - 2-3 cases depending on how many deer I can get this fall/winter (6 deer is the legal limit where I live.)
Ready to use Stew Vegetable mix - 2 cases.
Baked Beans - 1 case
Pears - 1 case
Applesauce - 1 case
Sliced apples - 1 case
Apricots - 2 cases
Bing Cherries - 1 case
Pie Cherries - 1 case
Pesto - 1 case pints.
Corn - 4 cases.
All except pesto are quarts, a case is 12 jars.

I do vacuum seal dry items, beans, pasta, flour, seeds, nuts, etc.. in jars as well but, that's vacuum sealing, not canning.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom