What are you canning/preserving today?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'm making and pressure canning marinara sauce today. I'm hoping to make and put up least 7 quarts. We go through it quickly!

Been wide open this summer. Canned 50 quarts of green beans, 21 quarts of frozen creamed corn, 20 quarts of frozen purple hull peas, working on Tomatoes now and blue berries are starting to ripen, muscadines are just a few weeks away.

Well I finally made and pressure canned my marinara sauce Thursday and Friday! I am so proud of myself since I actually pressure canned myself - usually my dh does the pressure canning part for some reason! Its fun to work with him in the kitchen, but I like to be able to learn things for Myself.

So combined Thursday and Friday I pressure canned 14 jars of marinara. I had two, one each batch, that didn't seal which I was amazed at. I used freshly sterilized jars, completely new Ball lids, and did everything the same and I still had two that didn't seal, and when I tried again the next day, (yes, sterilizing everything again, using new lids, boiling the sauce again, etc.) one still didn't seal! So now it's in the fridge, I'll repack it and just freeze it for use during the week.

I'm a bit obsessed with some homemade blackberry syrup that a relative gave me. She used wild blackberries and sugar, cooked them down and strained. I almost thought that she must have put some pectin in it since it's got a nice viscosity, not just a runny syrup.

So far I've eaten it on French toast, homemade vanilla bean ice cream and mixed some with seltzer to make a soda.

I really need to make some and can it.

Our Roma tomato plants are producing heavily now and, by tomorrow, there'll be enough ripe tomatoes to make (and can) a big batch of my oven-roasted tomato sauce. Looking forward to that because our remaining supply of sauce from previous cannings is getting dangerously low.

Over the weekend pressure canned 8 jars bruschetta sauce, and today pressure canned four jars Spanish cooking sauce for chicken. I can't wait to use it!

Telling on myself again.....The last thing either my wife or myself canned or preserved was 25 years ago and it was truly special. We made wild blackberry jelly from the HUGE patches of wild blackberries that were prevalent in Western Washington. I did the picking, wading into these nasty patches with heavy leather gloves and ice tongs. The vines were worse than barbed wire. However the jelly my wife made was the very best I have ever tasted of any kind. Fantastic.

So far I made black currant jelly about 6 1 pound jars and also froze about 2-3 pounds of the same. 4 pounds of red currants also went into freezer. I also made 4 ponds of bing cherries jelly. Now i'm waiting for bell peppers to get cheaper at the market so I can make the chutney fro the winter.

(yes, sterilizing everything again, using new lids, boiling the sauce again, etc.) one still didn't seal! So now it's in the fridge, I'll repack it and just freeze it for use during the week.

StormyNight I feel your pain...sometimes they just don't seal no matter what you do. There could be a chip or flaw in the jar that you can't feel. I'm lazy...I toss unsealed jars straight into the freezer (assuming there's enough headspace so it doesn't blurp out.) The "new" (1990's) USDA rules say that if you are processing at least 10 minutes in a boiling water bath, there's no need to sterilize your jars. Hot and clean with hot lids works. Sterilizing is now considered "an extra measure of safety". Like I said, I'm lazy.;)

Jealous of those who have tomatoes. Mine are just blooming and we're out of our favorite Roasted Tomato Garlic Soup and chili sauce.

This weekend I canned apricot pineapple preserves, a batch of strawberry preserves and some spicy apricot bbq sauce. Also dried some kale. Our baby pie cherry tree gave us a couple of quarts, so they went into the freezer (some went into a chocolate cherry clafouti), along with a few huckleberries and the last of the strawberries (at least until it cools off). DH has been freezing fruit on trays and will bag up combos and seal in Foodsaver bags for smoothies. Blueberries are coming on, yay!

Stormy Night - has this jar been used for canning before, or is it new? Making jars is a mechanical process that sometimes fail. I have had them where the top of the jar was not even and it would never seal. Secondly, make sure that you are not too full. it only takes a small dot of food under the lid to keep it from sealing.

What are you preserving today?

I thought it would be fun to share our preserving adventures, like the "What are you baking today?" thread. Are you canning, pickling, dehydrating or freezing something today? What is it? Tips and tricks? Unusual combinations? Would love to hear about it :)

Also, to make it easier for members to find specific recipes, if you want to post a recipe or someone asks you to, it would be great if you would post it in the specific forum, then link to it here.

I'll start: I'm making Rick Bayless' Pickled Red Onions for Mexican food. It's great on nachos, tacos, etc. Gives the sometimes-rich food a nice bit of crunch and freshness.

I just bought some beautiful Persian cukes. Not sure if I want to make whole pickles with them or this Asian pickled cucumber where they get sliced up.

Been busy "putting up" tomatoes and Italian green beans.

So far this week, I've made and canned 3 pints and 25 half-pints of my oven-roasted tomato sauce, 17 pints of Italian green beans and, today, 9 quarts of Italian green beans.

Glenn picked the rest of the Italian green beans this afternoon and I picked them over and cleaned them in preparation of canning them tomorrow. I'll probably get about a dozen quarts. We'll really enjoy them this winter.

There are still tomatoes coming, which means more tomato sauce.

A bunch of corn will come in, second planting, later this week. I'm not sure if I want to can it or put it in the freezer.

Our plants have been very good to us.

Back
Top Bottom