ISO authentic Mexican Posole Verde

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GotGarlic

Chef Extraordinaire
Hi, all. I recently had posole for the first time and it was just delicious. I tried a recipe at home, but it wasn't the same - for one thing, I didn't know it comes in red or green :LOL: We had the green kind, and it was pretty hot. I have a ton of jalapenos and cayenne peppers in the garden and some pork shoulder in the freezer and am looking for a recipe to use them in :chef:

Of course, it doesn't have to use the peppers I have if others are more suitable, but we did enjoy the pork. TIA if you have a good recipe for this.

It's not lookin' too good here GG :LOL: I thought I would bump this for tomorrow while I was here - - it's the least I can do :angel:

I'm Mexican (but more American probably)! I hope I can help with this recipe. I will ask Mom for some of her recipes for pozoles. She makes an amazing red pozole with pork meat and hominy which has lots of flavor and spices. Here's this one to start you off.

POZOLE VERDE (GREEN POZOLE)
Serves 6
Ingredients:
One recipe Pozole Jalisco 1 small chicken, halved 1 pound fresh tomatillos, husked, washed 1/3 cup vegetable shortening 4 small green chiles such as Serrano 1 large chopped onion 2 sprigs epazote 2 sprigs hoja santa 1 ½ cups hulled, untoasted pumpkin seeds
Accompaniments:
diced avocado chicharron Preparation:
Toast pumpkin seeds until they begin to brown. Blend tomatillos in blender with a little water. Fry briefly in the vegetable shortening. After the basic recipe has been cooking for two hours, add all remaining ingredients and proceed as above. Serve with accompaniments.

GGarlic,
Epazote is a Mexican herb that is only found in Mexican food stores/markets. You can substitute it for oregano if you can't find it up there. Hoja Santa is another herb found in southern Mexico. You can substitute 1/8 teaspoon freshly ground anise seed for each leaf of it.

Thanks, Dina, that sounds interesting. I think I can fill in some of the details, from looking at bunches of other recipes. I feel like I've seen epazote here before somewhere - just have to think about where. We have a significant and growing Mexican immigrant population, so even Wal-Mart has a lot of ingredients geared toward that cuisine. I'm sure if I look, I can find an actual Mexican market somewhere. Thanks again.

Back
Top Bottom