Allen’s Creamy Crockpot Mexican Chicken

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AllenOK

Executive Chef
Allen’s Creamy Crockpot Mexican Chicken
Yields: 8 - 10 servings

5 chicken leg-and-thigh quarters, skinned and cut through the joint
Veggie oil
2 c diced onions
2 T minced garlic
1 t ground cumin
1 t ground coriander
1 t dried oregano
½ c milk
One 26 oz can Cream of Mushroom soup
1 small can diced mild green chiles
A couple handfuls of corn tortilla chips, crumbled
Salt and pepper to taste

Preheat a crockpot. Heat a cast iron skillet over high heat. When the skillet is hot and smoking, drizzle some oil into the pan and swirl to coat. Brown the chicken in the pan, a few pieces at a time. As they are browned, add them to the crockpot. Add more oil as needed.
When all the chicken is browned, reduce the heat to medium high, and add the onions, garlic, cumin, coriander, and oregano. Sauté until they begin to turn translucent. Add the chiles and stir well. Be careful, as you might get a whiff of the vapor, and unexpectedly clear your sinuses. Deglaze the pan with the chicken stock. Add the Cream of Chicken soup and stir over high heat until the sauce is smooth and hot. Pour over the chicken in the crockpot. Top with the crumbled corn tortilla chips. Cover and cook on high for 6 hours, or until the chicken is done.
Serve with rice and beans, if desired.

Ok, here's how it turned out. The recipe above is how I made it, except that I gave it about 4 1/2 hours. I could have gotten away with 4 hours easily. The chicken was just beginning to shred. This would actually make a really nice taco/burrito stuffing, along with rice and beans. I think the green chiles need to go into the mix in the 30 minutes or so, as I can't really pick up on a heat level. Of course, maybe I need more than one can.

Back
Top Bottom