Chocolate Syrup

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

EternalRos3

Assistant Cook
I wanted to make a quick hot fudge/chocolate syrup for my ice cream, and I think I did something wrong. Whether it was the cooking method or ingredients, what should I change for next time?

I used equal parts hot milk, packed brown sugar, and cocoa powder.
When a teaspoon of cornstarch wasn't thickening the syrup in the microwave, I took to the stove.
I think I let the concoction boil too long - it had reduced, and was a bit thicker than I wanted, but still fine. However, when I poured it over my ice cream, it hardened slightly into clumps (instead of a delicious smooth layer of a chocolate shell) - chewy and annoying, but not unpalatable.

Where did I go wrong?

Sounds like you "broke" the sauce. It shouldn't boil too long, otherwise it gets clumpy.

Last edited:
DC is a great place to start. But when in doubt, go to the experts. Like Hershey's. They always have an answer for my of my chocolate questions. :angel:

Aunt Bea - I will definitely check those recipes out. Thanks!

Dawgluver - I like how you described my mishap. Definitely broken. So if I take care to watch the pot more, it should be fine next time around?

Addie - I actually never thought of that, thanks!

Don't boil milk, it will clump. That may be the problem. As Addie mentioned, you might want to check out the Hershey's site.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom