What can I substitute for cardamom?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lyndalou

Head Chef
but I can't find it anywhere and have not received any replies, so maybe I didn't.
Anyway, I need to know a substitute for cardamom if there is one. Can any one help me out? I'd appreciate it a alot. At $9.00 for just a few ounces, I'd like to not buy it.

Lyndalou

Lynda the best place to find cardamom is at an Indian store and it's not going to be that expensive as it would be in specialty stores.

I buy a large packet with cardamoms in a pod for about 8 bucks. O.K. that may be high but that cardamom can last you several years and they have smaller packs which are like 2 bucks.

I don't think there is any substitute for cardamom. It has a rather unique taste that nutmeg, cinnamom, allspice cannot parallel.

Yakuta is right on.

Ethnic markets such as Indian, Middle Eastern or Asian markets carry a great selection of spices and hard to find ingredients that are MUCH less expensive than in specialty shops or even in your local supermarket.

Let your fingers do the walking and you can save some big bucks.

If you have a Cost Plus World Market nearby, they can be a good place to find spices also.

Cardamom Substitute

It takes 10 whole pods to make 1 1/2 teaspoons of ground cardamom. Or, use ground cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger, coriander seeds or mace, starting with half the quantity specified and adding more to taste.

cardamom = cardamon = green cardamom Notes: Cardamom figures prominently into the cuisines of India, the Middle East, North Africa, and Scandinavia. It best to buy cardamom seeds still encased in their natural flavor-protecting pods, which you discard after you remove the seeds. You can also buy cardamom without the pods, called cardamom seeds = decorticated cardamom, but the unprotected seeds lose flavor quickly. Ground cardamom seeds are even less flavorful. Recipes that call for cardamom usually intend for you to use green cardamom, named for the green pods that encase the seeds. Some producers bleach the green hulls to a pale tan, but this makes them less aromatic. Brown cardamom is a similar spice that Indians use in savory dishes. Equivalents: One pod yields 1/6 teaspoon cardamom. Substitutes: brown cardamom OR equal parts ground nutmeg and cinnamon OR equal parts ground cloves and cinnamon OR nutmeg OR cinnamon

:heart:
Z

Thank you all for the information. I will check out ethnic markets in my area. None within a few miles, I know, but maybe in Ocala.

Thanks again.
Lyndalou

I agree .... cardamom has a very distinctive aroma and flavor that you're not going to duplicate with allspice, cinnamon, etc. In fact, if you've ever smelled Old Bay and Zatarain's crab boil/seasoning ... the very destinctive difference in the aroma and flavor of Old Bay is ... cardamom.

As others have mentioned ... herbs and spices are cheaper in an ethnic market than at the grocery store.

Can't find who mentioned it, but if you have a "Cost Plus World Market" nearby ... they have a 0.7 oz (19g) package for $2.49 ... looking at the package I bought there a couple of months ago .... and now can't remember what recipe I was going to make that called for it! Maybe funnel cakes?

To see if there is a World Market store near you check here: http://www.costplus.com/costplus/findstorelocation?selectState=10

Darn it ... smelling this cardamom is making me hungry for a big ol' pot of boiled shrimp!

Last edited:
Thanks, michael. I found that the nearest store is over 70 miles from me. Won't be getting there anytime soon. Guess I'll have to do without the cardamom for now. I was going to make a dish I've never tried. There are plenty of other things I can make, so no big deal.
Lyndalou

You could probably leave it out, unless you're planning on making cardomom coffee cake or something that depends heavily on cardomom.

Thanks, jenny.
I thought of that too, its a rub for a beef dish and the recipe calls for 1/4 tsp. of cardamom. I'll bet we won't even miss it if I decide to go that way.
Lyndalou

lyndalou, I do not think there is a substitute. I always use it in my pastries and some savory dishes, and get it at Cost + and it is about 3+ rather than 9 or 10. I used to get it for practically nothing, but with the cooking craze, the price went up. It probably would be found in an Indian store, as it is one of the ingredients in Curry powder.

Came across this substitute, but haven't tried it personally.

Use ground cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg, coriander seeds or mace. Start with half the quantity stated and then add more to taste.

~Kathy

lyndalou said:
t $9.00 for just a few ounces, I'd like to not buy it.

Lyndalou

I replied to a different thread last week regarding the 3 most expensive spices
Saffron is now #2

1. Vanilla
2. Saffron
3. Cardamom

There is no substitute for cardamom

Hi Lyndalou,
Here in England cardamom is a common spice, I buy it in my local Asian shop, about 5o grams for £ 1 , I wish I could give you some as I have a big jar of cardamom pods sitting here in my cupboard.. There is no real subistute...Do you have a spice mail order company in Florida that could help..?
All the best
Viv...

Thanks for wanting to help me out, Viv. I finally found some cardamom pods in a specialty shop in New Smyrna Beach, Florida. Now if I can just remember why I wanted them. lol.

Glad you found the cardamom pods Lyndalou, you will see there is no substitute for the taste... to confuse you further, did you get the green ones ? there is s dark brown one but these are mainly used for meat dishes, and have a slightly different taste and aroma
if you had not been able to get these, I would have sent you some over, I know what it is like when you need a certain item and cannot get it...
good cooking !

best wishes
Viv....

They are brown, and I remembered that it was a meat dish that I wanted to try. Thanks very much for the info.

Glad you found the cardamom! I know there have been times when I wanted something to make a dish ... remembered I wanted it when I found it and then when I found "it" I couldn't remember what dish I needed it for. ARRGH!!!

:) What kind of dish did you want to make?

I think there is three different cardamons white,green and black which is why I get so confused in Indian dishes Im not sure which one they mean.I think white cardomeon is for baking sweet things.

Back
Top Bottom