2017 Edition - What are you baking?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
View attachment 26839

View attachment 26840

View attachment 26841

This came out BAD!
And yet again I knew better. A 9X13 pan bake for an hour, nope! AND my 9X13 is a dark colored pan, which means a baked good will come out dark, unless you a) lower the heat and b) bake for shorter than called for time.... :doh::angry::blink:
I know better!
I had originally wanted to make something entirely different but as I gathered my ingredients I realized I was missing one component, so I went for something new.
As I read over the recipe, I knew this was a bad idea, but I REALLY wanted some kind of cake...
:wacko:
there's always next time.

Well, now you know. Lesson learned. I have an oven that just loves to burn everything in site. I need to get an oven thermometer and it being electric, it can't really be calibrated without taking it apart. So with the thermometer, I will have to learn where on my temp dial it cooks at 350ºF. I better get one soon or wait until they turn on the AC.

med, if you and Craig like this recipe, could you share?

That sounds interesting. Do you put dry mustard in the dough? Is there salt on the outside? What do you serve them with or do you dip in a honey mustard or such as an appy? I have never made pretzels sorry for all the questions.

They weren't as good as the last time I made them. I used an old recipe I found in our computer cookbook because I thought it was the correct one, but obviously wasn't, so it will be getting deleted and I'll have to go on the hunt again and see if I can find the one I used last time.

I made soft pretzel breadsticks and the recipes all have dark brown or light brown sugar or molasses in them. Don't remember seeing any with dry mustard but that might be something interesting to play with for added flavor. They did get an egg wash and salt sprinkle on them. We did add some mustard to them as we ate them.

I've also made pretzel bread bowls. That was fun, but the soft pretzel bread wasn't firm enough to trust with hot soup so they ended up sitting in bowls.

I did learn a trick with the bowls that is also useful with long breadsticks. You have to get a boiling hot water/baking soda mixture on the bread dough so that it will get to that really dark brown finish. (Craig thought I had overcooked/burned them until I told him to remember what pretzels looked like.) To do that, you generally drop the risen, shaped dough in the boiling mix for a very short period of time. That's hard to do with bowls and long breadsticks. So, you gently move the risen dough shapes onto a rack and brush the boiling mixture on with a brush, letting it drain for a couple of minutes, then gently back onto the baking pan.

Old pics of the bread bowls.
37240-albums1008-picture6206.jpg

Thank you Med. They look wonderful. I'm want to make that soup also. It sounds delicious.

What are you baking?

001.JPG

Hershey's Best Brownies for dessert later this evening

002.JPG

and for next door, since our Building Superintendent doesn't care for chocolate.
I suppose you folks here on the mainland call them Caramel Cuts, but
in Hawaii we call them Haole Brownies, I call them one of my favorite dessert,
as I am not a big fan of chocolate either. I added some Health Bar Toffee Bits to the batter as well a handful on top, :yum:

Both types of Brownies will be later topped with Blue Bell brand Sea Salt Caramel Ice Cream to guild the lily even farther ;)

View attachment 26843

Hershey's Best Brownies for dessert later this evening

View attachment 26844

and for next door, since our Building Superintendent doesn't care for chocolate.
I suppose you folks here on the mainland call them Caramel Cuts, but
in Hawaii we call them Haole Brownies, I call them one of my favorite dessert,
as I am not a big fan of chocolate either. I added some Health Bar Toffee Bits to the batter as well a handful on top, :yum:

Both types of Brownies will be later topped with Blue Bell brand Sea Salt Caramel Ice Cream to guild the lily even farther ;)

I have never heard of caramel cuts.

I think I have seen them called Blondies.

Here's a recipe link.

Blondies Recipe | SimplyRecipes.com

IMG_2273.jpg

Last edited:
Actually, Caramel Cuts or Haole Brownies are very different from Blondies.
Hit my link for the recipe of Haole Brownies and you'll see, very little flour, lots of brown sugar...
Akahi Recipes
These are so chewy, dense and caramel-y... OMG! really good!
I add the Toffee bits for a bit of crunch, not traditional, but that's my spin on it. There are two private schools in Hawaii that rival and make a very similar recipe and claim it to be their own.
Punahou School Caramel Cuts Recipe - Food.com
Guess the camp that I come from?
CARAMEL CUTS recipe | Epicurious.com

Actually, Caramel Cuts or Haole Brownies are very different from Blondies.
Hit my link for the recipe of Haole Brownies and you'll see, very little flour, lots of brown sugar...
Akahi Recipes
These are so chewy, dense and caramel-y... OMG! really good!
I add the Toffee bits for a bit of crunch, not traditional, but that's my spin on it. There are two private schools in Hawaii that rival and make a very similar recipe and claim it to be their own.
Punahou School Caramel Cuts Recipe - Food.com
Guess the camp that I come from?
CARAMEL CUTS recipe | Epicurious.com

004.JPG

very different from Blondies

I have been want to make Trine Hahnemann's Spelt and Anise buns recipe was in the October 2016 Viking Magazine). The flour:liquid ratio was WAY off. I had to add quite a bit more flour to get a dough that wasn't like waffle batter. I will rework the recipe using baker's percentages when I have time. Right now, the rolls are in the oven. The dough "felt" right, we'll see how they turn out.

Mom gave the rolls a thumb's up. The texture has just the right amount of "tooth" and they smell fantastic. The loaf of bread turned out nicely too (had enough dough for 12 rolls and a loaf of bread).

I made rhubarb pie on Sunday for my parents. I absolutely do not like rhubarb pie. My deceased brother loved rhubarb pie. This one was for him. The Elders loved it, it turned out lovely, but I hate rhubarb desserts. Give me rhubarb in savory dishes any day. It is a vegetable. I like it as a vegetable.

Macadamia Nut Shortbread Cookies dipped in Dark Chocolate

Back home, we would get Big Island Candies
Macadamia Nut Shortbread Cookies that were
dipped in dark chocolate.

The first year we lived on the mainland,
I ordered a box for my Mother's birthday.
The box of only 10 small cookies
cost just about as much as S&H did.
That stopped.

So I found a recipe online that seemed pretty close.
I made a few changes to the recipe, of course,
finding that using dipping chocolate as apposed
to melted chocolate chips makes a big difference.
Also, I make mine twice the size of the cookies
from the Big Island, and no shipping and handling charge too! ;)

006.jpg

I made a quadruple batch so that I can take a big tin of cookies
to my Mom when we go out to California to visit in a few weeks. :)

img_1511574_0_2efd76777aed90d1ef45a981fd591a71.jpg

Guess the flavour of this crumb coated cake!
I show you tomorrow how it turned out.

Back home, we would get Big Island Candies
Macadamia Nut Shortbread Cookies that were
dipped in dark chocolate.

The first year we lived on the mainland,
I ordered a box for my Mother's birthday.
The box of only 10 small cookies
cost just about as much as S&H did.
That stopped.

So I found a recipe online that seemed pretty close.
I made a few changes to the recipe, of course,
finding that using dipping chocolate as apposed
to melted chocolate chips makes a big difference.
Also, I make mine twice the size of the cookies
from the Big Island, and no shipping and handling charge too! ;)

View attachment 26886

I made a quadruple batch so that I can take a big tin of cookies
to my Mom when we go out to California to visit in a few weeks. :)

Did you post your recipe anywhere?

Back
Top Bottom