2023 Edition - What are you baking?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I once did the Oxford entry exam for the English language studies and scored a 7.9, so I suppose that might be true. Unfortunately my degrees otherwise don't match University level, so it wasn't enough to be accepted.
But my accent is awful (at least in my mind) and very hard to get rid of as in my day to day life I'm surrounded by Dutch people so I do have a heavy Dutch accent. I lost the Dutch accent when I lived in the UK but that's already 10 years ago now and I am back to sounding Dutch again.
Most people find an accent charming!

No surprise to me you scored well!

I agree with Jusa - accents are both charming and interesting. Also, the company I work for has a lot of Dutch employees and I have been to the Netherlands several times for work and am deeply impressed with how well Dutch people speak English. (My Dutch is non-existent.) In my defence, English appears to be the language of business. My company is currently owned by a Swedish company and all the Swedes also speak exceptionally good English. Personally, I really enjoy being part of a global company - we have offices in the USA, South America, all over Europe and the Antipodes and the "flavour" of our global meetings is wonderful.

Sorry, I am lousy and remembering to take pictures. Yesterday, I made four dozen chocolate chip cookies. Today, hopefully, if my back and leg pain cooperate, it will be strawberry muffins and snickerdoodles.

I had the last of that leftover mushroom soup today, and later on, I made a banana bread, with some old bananas, some WW flour, some raisins, walnuts, oats, cinnamon, cloves, and nutmeg, plus some vanilla extract and some coconut flavor. The liquid in it was some yogurt, and 2 eggs, and some of the bananas, and the oil I used was some coconut oil. It smells soooooo good, but I have to wait, to cut...
Banana Oat bread, with some raisins, walnuts, cinnamon, cloves, and nutmeg. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

Update - just sliced it. Absolutely delicious!
Sliced banana oat bread. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

Last edited:
i liketo bake but it's hard being diabetic. I got a "small batch type baking" cookbook so I could just make DH a small treat and not be tempted by dozens of cookies laying around.

making a peach crisp soon. made a diabetic-friendly apple cheecake last week.

Made a NYT no knead recipe.

Photo - 1.jpeg

More rye bread! I had to use the last 1¼ c of rye flour, so I'll have to grind some more. I only made one loaf again, as my freezer is getting packed, with all that butter for the cookies! I made it with a cup of mashed potato, plus some WW flour, and only a third or a half cup of unbleached, for when it was moist at the end. I also used about 10 oz of yogurt in the end of a jar - something I don't use often, but gave it that tang that buttermilk usually gives. The overnight sponge helps that, too.
More rye bread - I have to grind more rye flour now! Probably outside tomorrow, so the dust will stay out. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

Today I baked a half, and 3/4 of a recipe of some spice bars my Mom got the recipe from someone before I was born - just called German Squares, in our house. I've tweaked them, adding some ginger to them, and some habanero powder, to make some of them spicy, for the kid I'm taking them to tomorrow - his 21st birthday! He's the one I got hooked on hot peppers. If I could have, I would have gotten him an order of seeds for that "Pepper X", but it wouldn't have been here by now.

This smaller batch I made with WW flour, and no nuts or hot peppers - for the Mom and sister - and the larger one for whoever else.
Some gingersnap bars I made to take to a friend's birthday tomorrow - the large pan with habanero powder. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

BTW, another thing I did earlier, related to this, was to grind a little more than 5 lbs of rye berries, to a slightly coarse flour, to make more bread with!
Just over 5 more lbs of rye flour, ready to make more bread with! by pepperhead212, on Flickr

Last edited:
Pepper, what do you use to grind such a large amount of flour?
I use the Nutrimill Classic - something I got back in the 90s, and surprisingly, it is about the same price, and looks the same! I got it originally to grind odd grains and legumes - got my rye at the Amish market back then, and WW flour at Wal-Mart. When I got the Vitamix, I stopped using it a lot, but when the pandemic kicked in, I dusted it off, and got a bunch of whole rye, and hard white wheat berries, and started grinding my own again! I found a local source for WW flour - lidl - which is cheaper than most store's white flours (unless on sale!)! It's up to $2.79 now, which is still cheap, and I can't grind my own that cheap.

Here's that mill:

Speaking of the flours in the VM, I made 2 c of flour of two of those yesterday, too - some red lentils, or masoor dal, and some white millet. When I'm going to make these, I fill the jar up, with whatever I am making the day before, and refrigerate it, so the friction doesn't heat it up too much. Takes 45 seconds, for 2-3 c of anything.

I may have posted this previously, but today I had a hankerin' for Bran Muffins!
IMG_3033.JPG

I modify the AllRecipes Classic Bran Muffin with:
1 tsp. ground Cinnamon (I may use a touch more next time)
1 Tbsp. Molasses
1/2 C. chopped Pecans
and sub the Raisins for dried Cranberries

These Muffins really are simply a vehicle for softened Butter and Honey :LOL:

I baked coffee cake.

Coffee cake.jpg

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom