Besides salt and pepper what is your favorite all around spice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

georgevan

Senior Cook
There are so many spices that it is mind boggling. I must have 30 spices at least and rarely use any of them.

1. sweet basil
2. thyme
3. onion
4. garlic
5. oregano
6. rosemary
7. summer savory
8. cayenne pepper
9. nutmeg
10. ginger
11. Chinese 5-spice
12. fresh cilantro
13. ginger
14. chili powder
15. dried peppers
16. fresh watercress
17. fresh flat leaf parsley
18. cloves
19. cinnamon
20. allspice

There are more, but that's a good start of herbs and spices used frequently by me.

Seeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Normally I'd say cumin and chili powder but lately, I've been using Palestinian Zaatar a lot. It's a middle eastern, Mediterannean blend that varies between regions and even households. Ingredients listed on my big jar are Thyme Leaves, ?Spices?, roasted sesame seeds, sumac, table salt.

Normally I'd say cumin and chili powder but lately, I've been using Palestinian Zaatar a lot. It's a middle eastern, Mediterannean blend that varies between regions and even households. Ingredients listed on my big jar are Thyme Leaves, ?Spices?, roasted sesame seeds, sumac, table salt.

We started using Zaatar a couple years ago when we went refined oil free, and we use more spices now to get the fragrance and flavor. My husband was really unsure of it the first time he used it on a tomato mushroom sauce over ww spaghetti, but now he loves it and uses it liberally.

Thyme is my most used herb, cinnamon the most used spice.

I have to buy most of my spices, and I try to grow an assortment of herbs.
Thyme

Pepper, in all colors
cardamom pods
ginger
marjoram
summer savory (for asparagus mostly)
sage (for stuffing/dressing)
parsley (for drying and rice/parsley/lemon or lime summer salads)
basil (purple and green)
oregano
mint and spearmint and lemon balm
cloves (for sweets and pickling)
nutmeg (pasta and sweets)

I have more than 30 types of chile peppers, and not a day goes by that I don't use at least one of them. Or would I have to choose one?

Seriously though if I had to choose the spice I buy the most of it would have to be coriander seed, which I buy by the pound, or actually, 500g, in the Indian market. This is used in many of the cuisines I cook, and most of what I buy is the Indian variety - the oval, golden colored variety. The rest I use is the small, reddish, round variety, from Thailand or Sri Lanka - stronger flavored than the normal grayish, middle eatern variety. Cumin would probably be second, and is also used in many cuisines. As for herbs, basil would be my favorite - sweet and Thai basils - what made me start growing it in the off season. However, the herb I use the most would have to be cilantro, since I use it in so many different types of dishes.

I'd say right now my favorite spice is also the za'atar blend. It's good on almost everything - chicken, meatballs, salad dressing, flatbread, fish. I love it.

I also grow most of the herbs I use. Basil is my all-time favorite fresh herb. The aroma is incredible [emoji39]

...I also grow most of the herbs I use. Basil is my all-time favorite fresh herb. The aroma is incredible [emoji39]
Himself might agree,but his idea of "incredible" is different than yours. If we have basil around here, it's the little pots you can buy at the store. To him, the smell of that type of basil resembles...cat pee. :LOL: I have never, ever thought that about basil.

Oddly enough, it still isn't an issue if I use fresh basil in something to eat. He's fine if it's mixed with other ingredients. Just the aroma in the kitchen is...different to his nose.

Himself might agree,but his idea of "incredible" is different than yours. If we have basil around here, it's the little pots you can buy at the store. To him, the smell of that type of basil resembles...cat pee. [emoji38] I have never, ever thought that about basil.

Oddly enough, it still isn't an issue if I use fresh basil in something to eat. He's fine if it's mixed with other ingredients. Just the aroma in the kitchen is...different to his nose.
What a shame [emoji16] I'm so sorry for Himself. I love it [emoji7]

Salt and pepper is on top for sure :) Red paprika (regular and smoked), caraway seeds (crushed or grained) come next... I also have a few spice mixtures that I used often such as Italian/Provence seasonings, 2 or 3 BBQ spice mixes... dried garlic for sure too.

Soy sauce and mustard too, not really a spice type I know, but I'm using these all the time.

Oh and olive oil, couldn't live without it :)

Hard to rank, but what I use most frequently would be:

Garlic & Onion Powder
Smoked Paprika
Cumin
Coriander
Oregano
Basil
Cinnamon
Bay leaf

Fresh Herbs would be :
Basil
Parsley
Ginger
Cilantro

Other Flavorings:
Sesame Oil
Liquid Smoke

There are many others that would differ by cuisine, but the above is probably most common .

***In the summer, when pickling, Mustard seed, celery seed, dried hot peppers and probably a few others jump in popularity for me**

I don't use just one herb/spice to season most things.

Favorite Fresh seasonings would be, depending on foods being seasoned:

Garlic
Basil
Oregano
Parsley
Rosemary
Thyme
Sage

I like to make my own dry seasoning blends, so I know exactly what's in it and can adjust to our tastes.

Here is my favorite that I use on most everything, with slight additions when needed:

Ms. Mofet's All-Purpose House Blend Seasoning

Granulated Garlic powder (NOT the fine powder that looks like flour)
Granulated Onion powder
Goya Adobo seasoning (I usually use equal amounts of the one with pepper and the one with lemon)
Ground peppercorns (rainbow blend of peppercorns)
Szeged Hungarian Sweet Paprika
*Szeged Hungarian Hot Paprika
*Ground red pepper flakes
*Cayenne
Salt - your choice - Optional
Accent (or MSG) - Optional
White vinegar powder or Apple cider vinegar powder (go easy, add a little at a time and taste till you get it to your liking) - Optional

*NOTE: These 3 ingredients determine the heat level, adjust (or omit) to your personal heat preference.

Add all to taste; shake/mix well.
Taste and adjust to your preference.
Store in a shaker bottle with a tight-fitting lid.

Additional Optional Ingredients added to specific foods:

Smoked Paprika - Grilled/Roasted foods
Poultry Seasoning - Poultry/Pork
Old Bay or other like seasoning blends - Seafood/Fish

I also have a BBQ rub blend. If anyone is interested, I will post the recipe. Warning: MANY ingredients. LOL

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom