Canning Tomatoes

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I guess I first started warming to the idea of canning because I want to be able to do it myself. If for some reason storebought tomatoes go away I want to be able to do them myself.

No I am not a survivalist nut. Someday I may need this skill because of my time travel experiments!

I'm 65 and a computer/electronics nerd, the last type of person to ever be involved with canning, but I did in a very strange way and have since become somewhat an expert on the subject to help others.

Yes it is a skill that is needed for those experiments, especially in the next few years. Hmmm, we may have crossed paths. :alien:

Growing up in rural NC, we canned a variety of items. Mrs Hoot is the supervisor of all canning activities now that my Mom is gone.
I gotta tell you openng a jar of home canned tomatoes smells like you just opened a jar of summer. There ain't nothing quite like it.
If you can find them, Homestead tomatoes are quite good for canning or eating as is or sammiches.

Salsa Recipe for canning

We have 30 tomatoe plants and are picking on an average of 30/day. Here is a reicipe for canned salsa that I'm using and it's very good. I found it at Freerecipes.com If you've never canned tomaotes before, make sure you read all the safety issues. I learned a lot that I didn't know and I've been doing this for a while now.

Salsa
Coarse chop:8 cups tomatoes - skinned
2 cups onions
1 cup green pepper Fine chop:

1 cup seeded jalapenos (wear gloves)
6 large cloves garlic
1/4 cup cilantro shred:

2 cups carrot add:
2/3 cup lemon juice
1 tablespoon salt
1 teaspoon white pepper
Boil all ingredients, simmer 20 mins removing any foam that collects.
Ladle into clean, sterile pint sized jars.
Cap using canning lids and bands.
Process using water bath method for 20 mins.
Yield 6-7 pints.

COMMENTS: Not too much like catsup, or too watery. Don't leave out the carrot, thats what makes the salsa the right consistency for chip scooping.

Heat is comparable to medium store brands. Adjust the heat by adding more/less jalapenos. If real hot salsa is desired, leave some jalapeno seeds in the mixture. Wearing gloves while chopping jalapenos is a must.

Note for skinning tomatoes: Drop tomatoes into boiling water and boil until skin splits. Remove from water and cool enough to handle. Use a knife to peel skin, core and chop at the same time.

Last edited:
Don't you use vinegar?
For me I'm not at the stage to suit myself,if the recipe doesn't come from the ball blue book,or another reputable company,I won't use the recipe.I don't know who wrote it,or if it's been modified to suit someone else.

Munky.

What the heck, SENIOR COOK!

Don't you use vinegar?
For me I'm not at the stage to suit myself,if the recipe doesn't come from the ball blue book,or another reputable company,I won't use the recipe.I don't know who wrote it,or if it's been modified to suit someone else.

Munky.

Hey Munky, DON'T USE VINAGAR! You are a Senior Cook??? Everyone knows when canning vinagar and or lemon is a major ingredient. I don't think you are a Senior Cook. Been cooking that receipe for several years and I'm not dead yet. Why do you think that? Lemon and Vinager are major incredients when canning. You need to do some homework I think!

Hey Munky, DON'T USE VINAGAR! You are a Senior Cook??? Everyone knows when canning vinagar and or lemon is a major ingredient. I don't think you are a Senior Cook. Been cooking that receipe for several years and I'm not dead yet. Why do you think that? Lemon and Vinager are major incredients when canning. You need to do some homework I think!

I'm glad your not dead yet.Vinegar & Lemon juice is one of the first steps you learn when canning. And no,not everyone knows knows that.It was a simple question "Don't you use vinegar?"

Why do I think what? I'm not psychic.
You found that recipe at WWW.FREERECIPES.COM
I'm not about to try any canning recipe that someone found on some site.I've already given my reasons why.

Senior Cook? It's just the ranking system for this forum.You can't to my knowledge rank yourself here.Other members of the forum read,comment if they wish,and have the option of ranking you.
Earned merit? just because? well it's up to them to decide all that,not me.
I'm ok with that :)

Munky.

I have a variety of plants and some are more acidic than others and some sweet, they make a good combination. Mine consist of early girls, better boys, bonnie, bigger boy and a bush patio. We have about 45 plants. I don't like to use my larger tomatoes as much for canning, because we like to eat them with just salt & pepper. Anyway, I never know which ones I'm throwing in my salsa, just that they are ripe and need to be put up.

Back
Top Bottom