Chef Jean Pierre

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
WOW!! NICE FRIEND! Would you introduce us? LOL

That's a $100.00+ steak up here if Japanese. Probably $75.00+ if American?

It was part of a business relationship :)
I've only drooled over Wagyu at the market so it was nice to finally try it. It's expensive here too.
I wouldn't pay that much for it. They were T-Bone Tails. Very tasty trimmings!!

I've read what cut it is, but I don't know the size. Here's some Quebec Wagyu prices:

Prices are about the same for Canadian and American. Doan't know if Australian is available on the open market. Usually it is just the livestock.

I would love to compare - side by side - American/Canadian vs Japanese.
I've had the Japanese - was flabbergasted that all the hype was perfectly true. I really was skeptical right up until I had my first bite.
American/Autralian and now Canadian, are hybrid and so will never compare to the Japanese. But I think I could live with that - if I could afford it in the first place! :LOL:

We recently put a 32oz Florentine T-bone on the menu and brought in AAA, Prime and Wagu both wet and dry aged and ended up choosing Prime wet aged. The Wagu was good but not really better than Prime and Prime was much cheaper. Taste and tenderness were the features that were the most important to us regardless of price, for the most part, within reason. Yeah, Canadian Wagu can't really hold a candle to Japanese Wagu imo.

EDIT: changed Choice to Prime.

Last edited:
One can only hope with time they will be able to match the Japanese beef. But because it is a hybrid it boils down to .... unless someone smuggles the actual 'beouf on the hoof' out - it won't be in my lifetime.

I wouldn't hold my breath, and personally, I'm glad they own it in the way they do, it's what makes them quintessentially Japanese and envied around the world for just about every craft imaginable.

We recently put a 32oz Florentine T-bone on the menu and brought in AAA, Prime and Wagu both wet and dry aged and ended up choosing Prime wet aged. The Wagu was good but not really better than Prime and Prime was much cheaper. Taste and tenderness were the features that were the most important to us regardless of price, for the most part, within reason. Yeah, Canadian Wagu can't really hold a candle to Japanese Wagu imo.

EDIT: changed Choice to Prime.
I'm so glad to hear that! I was a little disappointed. I expected more.

We were in Japan a few weeks ago and ate at many high end places on the tour.

We ate Waygu maybe 3 times and found it disgusting. Sorry. Like eating a mouthful of shortening.

The food we ate in Korea was outstanding !

That's really too bad jennyema. I thoroughly enjoyed my Japanese wagu steak. It was beautiful tender, beef flavour was not overwhelmed by any fat taste nor mushy.
Maybe it was the cook. :whistling :mrgreen:

That's really too bad jennyema. I thoroughly enjoyed my Japanese wagu steak. It was beautiful tender, beef flavour was not overwhelmed by any fat taste nor mushy.
Maybe it was the cook. :whistling :mrgreen:
I have read that it needs to be cooked enough to render the fat, not leave little clumps of cold fat. Those do sound gross.

Hold a steak and the fat melts in your hand. Ours was very thin, pan seared 60 seconds per side. Also brought out of the fridge a good 15 minutes before hand.
I personally would have preferred 75 seconds but I was just the cook for her bucket list.

Edit: and you don't eat it cold and there are no more "lumps" of fat than on a cap of any other kind of cut.
All the fat they are referring to is the thin marbling through out the meat.
20230709_wagyu b.jpg
20230709_Wagyu.jpg

another Edit: I actually saved the edge fat and rendered it down the next day. We did roast potatoes with it - Marvelous!

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom