Chile Questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
"you don't change diapers as much as they change you."

"Governments, like diapers, must be changed often and for the same reasons."

Citizen Bob said:
I can't tell any noticable difference among New Mexico, Cascabel and Guajillo.
If that is the case then by all means use the less expensive peppers.

GB said:
If that is the case then by all means use the less expensive peppers.
The recipe I am using now is orders of magnitude better tasting than anything I have ever used before, including the infamous Gebhardts.

Here's something worth considering:

http://tinyurl.com/pzp5p/

+++
© 2006 NewsMax.Com

Common Herbs May Fight Cancer

Two common herbs may one day be used as weapons in the war against cancer, according to resent research.

The studies show that ginger can kill ovarian cancer cells while the compound that makes peppers hot can shrink pancreatic tumors.

[snip]

The second study, done at the University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine found that capsaicin, the chemical that makes chili peppers hot, caused apoptosis death in the cells of pancreatic tumors in mice. "Capsaicin triggered the cancerous cells to die off and significantly reduced the size of the tumors," said Dr. Sanjay Srivastava, the lead researcher.

Both studies were presented at the recent meeting of the American Association of Cancer Research.
+++

One thing that is confusing in recipes is when they call for so much "chili powder", what does that mean? Does it mean so much ground roasted chiles or does the so-called "chili powder" includes adjuncts like cumin, garlic, oregano, etc?

If I had 3 ground roasted chile powders, cascabel, ancho and chipotle, how much of each in tablespoons would you put with 2 lb meat and how much ground roasted cumin powder, granulated garlic powder, Mexican oregano and paprika - plus any others - would you add to the recipe?

2 lb beef-pork mix (2:1)
2 medium onions diced
1 qt. crushed tomatoes
1 qt. diced tomatoes
1 qt. beef broth
1 T. salt
__ T. ground roasted cascabel chile powder
__ T. ground roasted ancho chile powder
__ T. ground roasted chipotle chile powder
__ T. ground roasted cumin powder
__ T. Mexican oregano
__ t. paprika
__ Anything else, eg, sugar.

Brown beef and cook onions until translucent then add everything to a large crock pot and cook 6 hours on LOW including heat up time.

Chili Powder includes other herbs and spices like cumin, garlic, and others like you mentioned.

This can get confusing.

Chili powder (spelled with two "i") is the blend of spices GB mentioned.

Chile powder (powdered chiles) is just ground dried chile peppers.

Chili (the food) usually calls for ground chile and the other spices in chili powder. Using chili powder would simplify the process but limit you for flavors. If you add each ingredient separately, you can control the flavor of the dish.

I like your pepper mix and other spices. I'd add onion and garlic, either fresh or as powders (not salts) and some paprika. The chipotles will add a smoke flavor. You could also consider smoked paprika as a less hot option.

Chili powder (with an "i") is a mixture of dried ground chiles (with an "e") -- usually anchos -- along with cumin, Mexican oregano and garlic. Sometimes salt.

It does not generally include paprika, which is Hungarian in origin and has a distinct taste. At least I do not recall ever having seen chili powder with paprika in it. Doesn't mean you couldn't use it.

The proportions you use depend on your taste. Commercially prepared versions generally use mostly ground chiles, with lesser amounts of (in descending order) cumin, garlic and oregano.

In your post, I would think a 3/1 ratio of chiles to cumin would work, with the addition of maybe 1t each of garlic powder and Mexican oregano. I would personally leave out paprika (IMO not the right taste in chili), but if you use it, start with a small amount and add up.

The chipotle pepper can be very strong, smoke-wise, so you might want to start small with that type and add more in as necessary.

Experiment by combining and see what suits your taste. You might want to even make up different versions for different needs.

Also think about adding unsweetened chocolate to your chili to deepen the flavor.

Andy M. said:
I like your pepper mix and other spices. I'd add onion and garlic, either fresh or as powders (not salts) and some paprika.
In my haste I left out the garlic but I did include paprika. I did not include onion powder since I use diced onions in the recipe.

Chili Recipe
2 medium onions diced
__ T. Chili powder (see below)
1 qt. crushed tomatoes
1 qt. diced tomatoes
1 qt. beef broth
1 T. salt

Chili Powder
__ T. ground roasted cascabel chile powder
__ T. ground roasted ancho chile powder
__ T. ground roasted chipotle chile powder
__ T. ground roasted cumin powder
__ T. granulated garlic powder
__ T. Mexican oregano
__ t. paprika
__ Anything else, eg, sugar.

What quantities should I use in both the recipe for chili and the recipe for chili powder?

Take Jennys great suggestion and put in a square or two of unsweetened chocolate. It might sound weird, but it works wonders with chili. It does not make it tasty chocolaty at all either.

jennyema said:
In your post, I would think a 3/1 ratio of chiles to cumin would work, with the addition of maybe 1t each of garlic powder and Mexican oregano. I would personally leave out paprika (IMO not the right taste in chili), but if you use it, start with a small amount and add up.
Is this what you mean:

1 T. cascabel powder
1 T. ancho powder
1 T. chipotle powder
1 T. cumin powder
1 t. garlic powder
1 t. Mexican oregano

No onion powder, no paprika, no other ingredients.

If this is what you meant, how much of that powder mix do I use with 2 lb of meat?

Also think about adding unsweetened chocolate to your chili to deepen the flavor.
Please specify the exact product and the exact amount so I can buy it at the grocery. My wife usually shops for sweets so I am not familiar with the products.

The chocolate will be in the baking section. It is labled as unsweetened chocolate or bakers chocolate. It has a very bitter taste if you eat it on it's own. It comes in a bar that is segmented into squares. I would start with one square, but would use as much as two depending on how much chili I was making.

Citizen Bob said:
Is this what you mean:

1 T. cascabel powder
1 T. ancho powder
1 T. chipotle powder
1 T. cumin powder
1 t. garlic powder
1 t. Mexican oregano

No onion powder, no paprika, no other ingredients..

Yes. But what i might suggest is that you reduce the chipotle to 1t to start. Mix all together and then taste and see what you think. Each of the ingredients has a very distinct taste -- let your own palate be the guide. If 1t of chipotle doesn't make the mixture hot/smokey enough, add more. Likewise with the other ingredients. If it isn't hot enough, add some cayenne or basic red pepper flakes.

If you like the taste of paprika, by all means use that too. Onion powder is ok, too, depending on how much fresh onion you are using. It's all about what you like. If you were asking about tarragon in your chili, I might try to talk you out of it, but paprika is fine.

You can always add more, but can't take away except by adding more of everything, so start with small amounts when you experiment.

If you like making your own spice mixes, i recommend buying your ingredients from penzey's or the Spice House or other places with impeccably fresh spices. Big difference.

Citizen Bob said:
If this is what you meant, how much of that powder mix do I use with 2 lb of meat?

Lordy, I may not be the right one to ask because I would use a lot of it. Again, this is all to taste. Start small (maybe 3-4T for 2 lbs of meat) and add in as needed to your taste. I usually use at least 3T of chili powder for every lb of meat. But that's me.

Citizen Bob said:
Please specify the exact product and the exact amount so I can buy it at the grocery. My wife usually shops for sweets so I am not familiar with the products.

Like GB said, unsweetened baking chocolate. It comes in a box (8 oz, I think). Once again, start small by melting in maybe 1/2 of one of the blocks (would that be one ounce? I can't remember how many blocks come in a box). Then taste and see what you think. I have also used unsweetened cocoa powder.

When experimenting with a recipe, it's always best to add flavor in smaller, managebale amounts, then TASTE, then correct seasoning.

Last edited:
jennyema said:
reduce the chipotle to 1t to start, use unsweetened baking chocolate.
OK, based on all your comments here's the recipe I will try tomorrow.

Basic Chili
---------
2 medium onions diced
6 cloves garlic
4-6 T. chili powder
1 qt. crushed tomatoes
1 qt. diced tomatoes
1 qt. beef broth
1 square unsweetened chocolate
1 T. salt

Chili Powder
-----------
1 T. cascabel powder
1 T. ancho powder
1 t. chipotle powder
1 t. garlic powder
1 T. cumin powder
1 t. Mexican oregano

jennyema said:
If you like making your own spice mixes, i recommend buying your ingredients from penzey's or the Spice House or other places with impeccably fresh spices.
Living in Houston means I can get all the fresh spices and ingredients I want in large quantity at a very cheap price. I am using fresh dried bulk chile peppers sold at local grocery stores by the box load. The cumin seeds come from an Indian restaurant supplier and are as fresh as anyone can get them. The Mexican oregano is made up by a large Mexican food supplier supplier in San Antonio. Everything I use is first quality.

Big difference.
Indeed!

I could no more use pre-packaged chili powder than I could open a can of Wolf's <barf>:ohmy:

Looks good to start!

Make sure you taste the chili powder so that it has the right balance -- add more chipotle, cumin, for example, if you think it needs it.

Taste the chili often as it cooks and the flavors bloom. I usually add more chili powder (or more cumin/garlic, etc by themselves) as it cooks to get it to the depth of flavor that I like. Also, it may need more salt, but add that later in the process, as needed.

The squares of chocolate should be scored so that they break in half. You might add 1/2 and then taste as it cooks -- if you like, then add the other half. It does not make your chili taste like a hershey bar, but gives it an earthiness like mole sauce.

You might want to drain the tomatoes unless you like a lot of liquid. You might also consider a mix of beer :-p and beef broth. I like the way beer tastes in chili, but it's all up to you.

jennyema said:
You might want to drain the tomatoes unless you like a lot of liquid.
I am using Sam's Club bulk tomato products which are not filled with water. In fact I have to add water in the form of beef broth to thin the mixture.

You might also consider a mix of beer :-p and beef broth. I like the way beer tastes in chili, but it's all up to you.
I have the beef broth in the recipe. As far as beer is concerned the only way I like it is out of a stein from my draft beer system.

Based on discussions so far, the recipe is:

1 T. cascabel powder
1 T. ancho powder
1 t. chipotle powder
1 T. cumin powder
1 t. garlic powder
1 t. Mexican oregano

Now it's time for final adjustments to be made.

The Food TV recipe is below. I measured the weights and volumes after roasting and grinding.

3 cascabel - 9.0 gr - 2 T.
3 ancho - 21.6 gr - 4 T.
3 chipotle - 4.0 gr - 2 t.

In an attempt to compromise between the two recipes, I came up with this

1 T. cascabel powder
2 T. ancho powder
1 t. chipotle powder
1 T. cumin powder
1 t. garlic powder
1 t. Mexican oregano

The only difference is double the ancho, which I do not believe will hurt the overall flavor and may actually enhance it.

Since most commercial chili powders usually use only ancho, it will likely have a familiar taste. But the fun in this is adjusting it to your own taste!

I think chile/chili 'recipes' go down the same path as 'spaghetti sauce'. They're regional, depending on the chile amd other ingredients grown in the area, and whose grandmother is doing the cooking, lol! That's why you see so many variations in the types of chiles and spices in different recipes.

I would highly recommend you get some books by both Rick Bayless and Zarela Martinez, for a great education on chiles, chilis, moles, and other sauces.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom