E-Readers, Suggestions and Questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I found this on IPadForum, posted by IPad Master Bremen. It should work for Kindle as well. I haven't yet tried any of them as I have entirely too many books already on my Kindle!

Bremen said:

Quote: I have posted a few of these in various places, but thought I would tie it together here. These are some sites that have FREE ebooks that are already in ePub format. They will import and read as is in iBooks.

ePub Books - MobileRead Forums

ManyBooks.net - Free eBooks for your iPad, smartphone, or eBook reader

epubBooks.com - Free EPUB eBooks for your mobile eReader - Unleash Your Books

Feedbooks | Food for the mind

http://www.baen.com/library/

http://www.snee.com/epubkidsbooks/

The link below is a site that converts documents to ePub online.... Nothing to download....

2EPUB - Free tool to convert documents and e-books to EPUB format. 100% free online converter.

Last edited:
Calibre is also a free program that converts to just about any ebook format. It is a great program that is easy to use.

Here we go, an E-Reader thread that is specific for E-Books. I will work on getting those posts in the "What are you reading now?" thread moved here.

I am hoping we use this thread for troubleshooting and suggestions, recommendations. We can continue with the reading thread to name those titles we are reading.

Have Fun!:)

PrincessFiona60 said:
Here we go, an E-Reader thread that is specific for E-Books. I will work on getting those posts in the "What are you reading now?" thread moved here.

I am hoping we use this thread for troubleshooting and suggestions, recommendations. We can continue with the reading thread to name those titles we are reading.

Have Fun!:)

Yay Princess! Thanks!

I wish for a housekeeper to clean my house twice a week, and a small lottery win to finance my travel dreams.

OK, back to the eReader thing. I have a Calibre question. Does it cost anything?

Alix, I don't understand how you are getting library books on your Kindle now. At the Amazon Kindle discussion board, Amazon announced they will be using Overdrive so Kindle owners could download library books by the end of this year but none of the posters can use this feature now! What's your secret? :)

OK, Pacanis, any updates to your Kindledom adventures?

A brief rant: our first day without rain and cold in a long while. I dressed Kindle in her waterproof case, and blissfully floated around our little subdivision pool reading until a van drove up and unloaded 6 rambunctious kids under the age of 8, with tons of pool toys, along with a woman I didn't recognize. I should have asked to see her key. Thinking they're guests of someone. Packed up my stuff and left. :mad:

The waterproof case really is a nice protection for Kindle. Protects against splashing rugrats.

Oh well, weeding to be done, food to be cooked.

Last edited:
No updates, Dawg.
The last book I read, which was an ebook on my laptop, I read at night. That's really when I'm in a reading mood. Still need to fix that lamp to use the Kindle at night :^(
I should probably get over to the hardware store and see if they have the parts.

I have a little clamp-on book light. Guess in a pinch you could hold a flashlight in your teeth...

OK! Apparently those lamp switches are a consumable item, as the hardware store had plenty of them. I'll be able to start reading feverishly here shortly... under a bright light... without interfering with my beverage :D

LindaZ, to read library stuff on your kindle you need to take a few steps:
-Download Mobi2pocket (second link) to your computer, open the icon and put in your Kindle's serial #. You will get a numerical code that you will need to enter at your library's site.
-Go to your library's website and look for the ebooks section. Search only for the mobipocket ebooks.
-Download the book you want and then drag the .prc file to the Mobi2Pocket icon. It will convert the file to an .azm file that your Kindle can read.
-Plug your Kindle into the computer and open the application on your computer
-Add the .azm file to the Document section and you're done.

Reading library books on your Kindle… « Kindle Talk « KindleVixen.com

GettingStarted - mobi2kindle - How to get started using Mobi2Kindle. - Read MobiPocket DRM'd books on Kindle - Google Project Hosting

Last edited:
not to belabor the point, but i'm wondering about the $99 nextbook android tablet that has the backlighting feature as well as a color display. what is preventing the two leading names in ebook readers from offering these options? i truly don't understand the business about the eink. must we really choose between a reader that does well in bright sunlight vs. one that can be read in the dark?

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom