ISO Roast beef advice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

legend_018

Head Chef
ok, I asked my DH what he wanted for dinner on dads day. He said Roast Beef. I never made this before. I have some questions. I will also be having my dad, his dad and mom and possibly my brother and a few others. It will either be 6 people all together or 8 people all together.

1. How big of Roast Beef do I get?
2. WHat kind do I get?
3. Is the butcher the best place to get a good Roast Beef?
4. How do I cook it?
5. What should the temperature be when it's done?

I've made different kinds of beef roasts, but never Roast Beef.

I'm sure I have more questions, but I think that's it for now. I really want this to turn out special and not floppy.

The standard serving is a half pound per person. I'd get a little more than that, maybe 5-6 pounds.

A standing rib roast is always a big hit. Other good choices are Tenderloin roast (expensive).

Not necessarily. Many markets carry good meats. Insist on choice grade not select.

Put it on a rack in a roasting pan and put it in a 400F oven.

The internal temperature will vary based on how well-done you want it. Here's a chart:

Doneness

Temperature

Rare 127º F

Medium Rare 135º - 140º F

Medium 141º - 145º F

Medium Well 146º - 150º F

Well Done 150+

I called one butcher so far and one super Market. Here are the results. prices are estimates

J&B Butcher
$6.99/lb top sirloin is there most popular
$11.99/lb boneless primerib is there 2nd popular

Hannaford Grocery
$9.49 or $9.99/lb black angus Prime Rib Roast. Most popular
$8.99/lb Choice Rib Eye

Just curious, is this the type your Dad is talking about ? When you said roast beef I always think of beef roast, w/potatoes and carrots. Rather than a standing rib- (Prime Rib) ,as you are talking about. I'd make sure before you go through that expense. Unless he already has.

Dh is the one who said it. Yes he's talking about the more expensive cuts of roast beef that you have on like Christmas for example. We have lower cut/less expensive roasts in crock pots and in oven through out the year. He isn't referring to those. Those real roast beef dinners you have at restaurants, weddings, holidays ect.

One of the local butchers said there most popular was there top sirloin rost beef at $6.99/lb

Legend,
for my family, when we want special we do a boneless prime rib..The very first one I did, I followed instructions from a Julia Child cookbook.It was wonderful..I do it that way all the time now and it always turns out great.I know it's a more expensive piece of meat, but even if you end up with leftovers, they make a mean meat and potatoe pie or sliced into small pieces, put into gravy and poured over some bread open faced...Good luck, I'm sure everyone will be happy to help you along on your Fathers day meal.

kadesma:)

Kadesma, could you post how you make your prime rib? I make one once a year at New Years, want to see if it is much difference than I do. Thanks ! Barb

I would also get a boneless ribeye for ease of cooking and serving. For 8 people, I'd get at least 6#. There is a good bit of shrinkage but it is very flavorful.
Rub with a rub, if you want or just coat with some salt and coarse pepper. Put in a 500* oven for 15 minutes and then reduce the temp to 350* for about 45 minutes. Then test for doneness with an instant read thermometer inserted horizontally. Look at the chart above for the degree you want. Remember to let rest at least 20-30 minutes or you will lose much of the juices of the meat.

kadesma said:
Legend,
for my family, when we want special we do a boneless prime rib..The very first one I did, I followed instructions from a Julia Child cookbook.It was wonderful..I do it that way all the time now and it always turns out great.I know it's a more expensive piece of meat, but even if you end up with leftovers, they make a mean meat and potatoe pie or sliced into small pieces, put into gravy and poured over some bread open faced...Good luck, I'm sure everyone will be happy to help you along on your Fathers day meal.
kadesma:)

I would be interesting in finding out how Julia Child's method of cooking prime rib.

legend_018 said:
I would be interestinll g in finding out how Julia Child's method of cooking prime rib.
Will PM you the directions, this afternoon..Taking grandson to get new shoes:LOL:

kadesma

Barb L. said:
Kadesma, could you post how you make your prime rib? I make one once a year at New Years, want to see if it is much difference than I do. Thanks ! Barb
Barb,
will PM you how I do mine..Am taking Carson for new shoes right now and he is so eager to go I just have to go..
kadesma

I think I"m going to buy a 7lb roast. 6-8 people are coming so I'm thinking that should be enough with 1lb per person and one guest is a little girl who is only 6 years old.

I was wondering, if I took it out at 135 degrees and let it sit for 10-15 minutes, what degree do you think it will go up too? I just don't want this turning into a medium well or well done roast.

Thanks
Mary

Around 145F to 150F, which I think is perfect for a beef toast.

When I cook a beef roast, I preheat the oven to as high as it goes, which in my case is 550F. I cook the roast at 550F for 30 minuters, then reduce the temperature to 350F and, although I use a meat thermometer, I expect the remaining cooking time to be approximately 20 minutes per pound, and schedule my side dish preparation accordingly.

but.....The chart says:

Medium Well 146º - 150º F

I thought Roast Beef was better at least Medium or even less for some people. I don't like it too rare myself.

I think I'm going to follow some advise I found on cooking it on low "225" degrees. As you know there are many schools for cooking prime rib. High - than Low. Straight 325 or LOW 225. I have chosen the low 225.

I have gotten such wonderful advise so far and will be using bits and pieces from everyone.

The last prime rib I cooked was at 225 degrees. I did sear it first. I used a meat thermometer and removed the roast at 135 degrees. During the rest the temperature rose to 142. It was perfect for me.

Residual cooking will be less at the lower temperture than if it's cooked at a higher temperature.

Another advantage of the low cooking temperature is that the roast is more evenly cooked. It's more consistent from the outside to the inside than it would be at higher temps.

Jim

jayco said:
The last prime rib I cooked was at 225 degrees.

How long do you think it will take about? I have read different advise from sites and recipes. I'm buying a 7lb boneless prime rib.

Some say expect at least 4 hours, but start checking at 3 hours. Others say about 21-23 minutes per lb which would end up being under 3 hours.

It's a little difficult when I would like to plan my sides. I'm making mashed and Green Beans Slow-Cooked with Bacon and Onions on the stove.

I will probably remove roast at around 135 degrees. I'm still thinking about it.

That sounds like a great menu.

When I removed my roast from the fridge it's temp was 32 degrees. After one hour on the counter and the searing it was still at 42 degrees. (Internal)

It was a 3 1/2 pound roast.

It went into the oven at 11:40.

After 1 hour of cooking time it was at 84 degrees. After two hours it was at 122 degrees.

At 2 1/2 hours it hit 135 degrees. After about 20 minutes resting time it was at 142 degrees.

With your menu you shouldn't have any problems with the sides.

Hopefully the times of my roast will give you a good idea of when to start them.

For a more fail safe method with less guessing, and especially considering that you have not done this before, do what Andy said. Everyone has their own methods but the one Andy suggested is the most basic and easiest to execute and you'll get a good result.

Do NOT cook the roast past medium. Remember that once to remove the roast from the oven, there will still be carryover cooking so if you're shooting for medium, take the roast out at about 138-140. Let it rest for 5-10 minutes and then cut it. If you're not sure and don't want to overcook it, then take it out even sooner, at 135. Remember that you can always cook it a little more but you can't go back once you overcook it. If people want it cooked more, then cut off individual slices and pop it back in to oven or saute it.

Do NOT get the sirloin roast. Sirloin roasts are leaner and have less flavor than a rib roast and are less forgiving if you screw it up. Given that it's for a special occasion, don't do yourself a disservice just to save a few dollars.

jayco said:
That sounds like a great menu.

When I removed my roast from the fridge it's temp was 32 degrees. After one hour on the counter and the searing it was still at 42 degrees. (Internal)

It was a 3 1/2 pound roast.

It went into the oven at 11:40.

After 1 hour of cooking time it was at 84 degrees. After two hours it was at 122 degrees.

At 2 1/2 hours it hit 135 degrees. After about 20 minutes resting time it was at 142 degrees.

With your menu you shouldn't have any problems with the sides.

Hopefully the times of my roast will give you a good idea of when to start them.
Well so much for the average 20 minutes per pound. Yours is an average of 43 minutes per pound. If I buy a 7 lb roast that would be 301 minutes. I don't think that would be accururate for a 7lb roast as most sites I come across say between 3 and 4 hours or average 20-23 minutes per pound.

I am defintely cooking this at 225 because I have decided to follow this recipe. Anyone have any suggestions about it, let me know.
Family Secrets #49: Prime Rib of Beef - Picture Perfect

I'm still trying to figure out estimate time. I guess i'm going to figure about 3 hours and another 15/20 minutes of resting time. So my estimate is put it in the oven at In the oven 11:45
[FONT=&quot]Done hopefully by 2:45 plus add resting period.
So I'm guessing i'll start my sides around 2:15.
[/FONT]

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom