Just wondering ... what is everyone reading now?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
trying kathy reichs on for size. i think it's going to be a good fit. her death du jour is the book i'm reading right now. she has written 16 crime novels to choose from. she seems to be something of a modern day patricia cornwell of scarpetta fame. so far, i like her style of writing....

it's always a plus when an author you like has a good sized reservoir of work to return to. :)

Kathy Reichs is better in some respects than Patricia Cornwell. I found the Scarpetta books got dark and the characters became almost caricatures after a bit. Enjoy your new author!

I'm reading Death Benefits right now and am quite enjoying it.

:cool:
What are some other titles are your kind of sci-fi list?

Authors are easier:

Elizabeth Moon
David Weber
Keith Laumer
Anne McCaffrey
Eric Flint

Old favorites:

Robert Heinlein
Edgar Rice Burroughs

If you google the authors' names and bibliography, you'll get a list of their books.

Elizabeth Moon writes fantasy as well, so if you're not a fan, you might have to sort through them. Two series she wrote that I enjoyed were Herris Serrano (3 books available as omnibus) and Sassinak (also 3 books and available in an omnibus volume).

The original Sassinak story was by Anne McCaffrey, wasn't it? Or was it co-written with Elizabeth Moon, too?

Man it's been a while since I thought of Sassinak...

Authors are easier:

Elizabeth Moon
David Weber
Keith Laumer
Anne McCaffrey
Eric Flint

Old favorites:

Robert Heinlein
Edgar Rice Burroughs

If you google the authors' names and bibliography, you'll get a list of their books.

Elizabeth Moon writes fantasy as well, so if you're not a fan, you might have to sort through them. Two series she wrote that I enjoyed were Herris Serrano (3 books available as omnibus) and Sassinak (also 3 books and available in an omnibus volume).

Thanks - I haven't read any of those (except for the Old Favorites).

I recommend Joe Haldeman to the Sci Fi fans. One of my favorites was "The Accidental Time Machine"

Also John Varley - "Millennium" and others ...the Gaean Trilogy. Tons of great short stories

I recommend Joe Haldeman to the Sci Fi fans. One of my favorites was "The Accidental Time Machine"

Also John Varley - "Millennium" and others ...the Gaean Trilogy. Tons of great short stories

Heh! When you come across a NEW Sci Fi author let me know. Seems I've read all the books you have;)

I have read Stephenson, I started with Cryptonomicon. Not really my cup of tea. He's more into the technical side of things and I was quickly overwhelmed, I do much better if I can understand the concepts an author is writing about.

That's what I was afraid you'd say...
His latest book "Reamde" sounds like it might be a little more accessible... all 1,056 pages of it?
There is a series of YA novels I read and enjoyed last year... (fairly new) by Michael Grant. "GONE" et al

Don't allow my understanding of math deter you from at least trying one! But, that is my problem with some authors. Biology concepts are intuitive to me, I at least understand the concepts and can extrapolate.

Michael Grant, thanks, adding to my list to look for.

PrincessFiona60 said:
I have read Stephenson, I started with Cryptonomicon. Not really my cup of tea. He's more into the technical side of things and I was quickly overwhelmed, I do much better if I can understand the concepts an author is writing about.

This is on my list of books to read "someday". Has been for quite some time.

Mostly this forum. I have a book. I think. Just joking. The last books I read was the Sookie Stackhouse novels. I have taken a reading break. I have a couple of books lined up at home to read. Gotta get the reading fever again.

Just started "Escape From Camp 14"

The shocking story of one of the few people born in a North Korean political prison to have escaped and survived.

North Korea is isolated and hungry, bankrupt and belligerent. It is also armed with nuclear weapons. Between 150,000 and 200,000 people are being held in its political prison camps, which have existed twice as long as Stalin's Soviet gulags and twelve times as long as the Nazi concentration camps. Very few born and raised in these camps have escaped. But Shin Donghyuk did.

In Escape from Camp 14, acclaimed journalist Blaine Harden tells the story of Shin Dong-hyuk and through the lens of Shin's life unlocks the secrets of the world's most repressive totalitarian state. Shin knew nothing of civilized existence-he saw his mother as a competitor for food, guards raised him to be a snitch, and he witnessed the execution of his own family. Through Harden's harrowing narrative of Shin's life and remarkable escape, he offers an unequaled inside account of one of the world's darkest nations and a riveting tale of endurance, courage, and survival.

So far, just riveting. Really, really thought provoking, and humbling.

I finished Ghost Country and moved on to Deep Sky Patrick Lee. I'll be sad to finish this trilogy. I searched, but couldn't find any more books by him. Good reading!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom