Just wondering ... what is everyone reading now?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I love to read stories written by people who have travelled to various places in the world and written about their experiences. One of my favorites and recent ones (I don't know if it's still in print or not) was written by Agatha Christie who was married to an archaeologist, Max Mallowan, titled ( I believe) "Come Follow Me" where she accompanied him on his many digs to the Middle East before she died. So she did more than just write all those wonderful mysteries that she is famous for--(she was considered a very valuable member of the expedition team as she was invaluable in processing artifacts----she was also 10 years older than her husband and is quoted as saying that she was the happiest married woman ever because as she aged he became even more interested in her--move over Demi!

I just finished a couple of bios, and always have some murder mysteries at hand. What I'm now reading aloud to my ladies is a bio of Yul Brynner written by his son. It is excellent. None of the last dozen or two novels I've read overly impressed me. The fact is, I hate romance novels (it is just way too easy to predict the entire book)(man and woman hate each other at first sight. You immediately know they will wind up in bed before the end of the book, and in everlasting (haha) love at the end). My recent favorites are Snow Flower and the Secret Fan, The Harmony Silk Factory, and The Geographer's Library. I have always, even as a child, been a huge fan of any version of The King and I. I've read every version, from Anna's memoirs through bios through her son's memoirs, and seen all three movies. So when Yul, written by his son, showed up on the library's $2 shelf, I bought it. This is what I'm reading to my ladies right now. Rocky Brynner is an excellent, even poetic, writer. I'm quite impressed.

I'm going back and reading other responses. I loved the Live of Pi. I bought it for a stupid reason .... the author's name is a family name (Martel). But talk about a good suspension of disbelief!

I am a huge fan of the A. McCall Smith books. I think they are great fun, and epitomize what I consider summer reading. PLUS, I get very sick and tired of fashion-model heroines, so I love a "traditionally built" heroine!!! I also love Janet Evonavich and many other mystery writers!! Just pure fun. Yes, I've read all of P.D. James. I've read all of Diane Mott Davidson, and really liked the concept of the blue cheese cake in her last one ... but it seemed kind of complicated and fragile. Since there are only two of us, I can't really experiment, so will probably never try it. Anyone who does, let me know how it turns out!!

Claire said:
I've read all of P.D. James. I've read all of Diane Mott Davidson, and really liked the concept of the blue cheese cake in her last one ... but it seemed kind of complicated and fragile
The only recipe I've tried from the series is the "Savory Florentine Cheesecake" in "Prime Cut" -- it was very good...

Have you read Dorothy Sayers? She'll get you out of your slump! If you like P.D. James, you'll love DS

Actually I hate to admit it but am working through The Complete History of Jack the Ripper by Philip Sugden.

Just finished reading Julia Child's lovely posthumous book, "My Life in France." If you're a fan of hers, OR of cooking, imo, it's a must-read. I felt as though I could hear her talking as I read. She wrote it in the last couple of years of her life by telling the stories to Paul's great-nephew, alex Prud'homme. He obviously knew her well and loved her a lot to be able to capture her so exactly in print.

YES. I've read all of D. Sayers plus have been trying to get into the BBC Peter Wimsley series, and am thinking of rereading them to help me get into the spirit. And I'm not much of a believer in re-reading. So many books, so little time. I'm unemployed, and an insomniac. That adds up to 3-5 books/week. My latest thing has been to check out old Graham Green books that I missed the first time around. My read-aloud book (a friend who is blind, and one who is too crippled to hold up a book for any length of time) is Yul Brynner's biography.

Miss J -- I too am a fast reader. Many, many years ago, some teacher of mine (don't remember her) in 3rd or 4th grade, discovered I was really GOOD at reading. She sent me to a speed reading course. I don't actively try to speeed-read, because I consider it a pleasure and slow myself down. Still, a McCall book only takes a few hours to read. THat is TRYING to read slow.

I was at the library a few years ago, and a friend of mine saw how many books I was checking out (I leave with 5-8 books). He's a young Irish man. He said, "Claire, you read all that?" (the books range in subject matter very widely). Yes. "You must have some spectacular dreams."

Now, here's the question. Do readers have more dreams? More exotic dreams? I've always had very vivid dreams but never connected it to reading, and have always thought it was a result (or source) of being insomniac. Any opinions??

At the moment I have 3 books on the go, one in my office and 2 at home. Dumb to have 2 at home, Im hardly here!!
Anyways, I read Jeanette Wintersons ' Sexing the Cherry' years ago and bought the book home from my recent trip to Italy ( I have a TRUNK full of books still not shipped home!) so Im 1/2 way thru' that again and loving it. Also have Richard Carlsons ' Dont Sweat the Small Stuff' because I have been. 'Nuff said there...lol
And Im also reading 'Everydog' a complete book of dog care as we have a rescue pup..8 mths old..who is totally out of control. My garden is wrecked, a credit card chewed ( my fault for leaving it within jaw distance) hubsters vehicle has a flat battery because of him, trash bags have been strewn far and wide and he loves to leave a calling card in a particular spot on the hall carpet. A wet calling card and he is 8 mths old!! Ummm, Im concentrating on the discipline part of the book. :)

Banana Brain said:
My favorite book is either To Kill a Mocking Bird or Life of Pi.

BB, I absolutely love these books too! Three other books I would put in the same class are The Little Prince, The Caine Mutiny, and Pride and Prejudice.

Robert Jordan, Knife of Dreams... like him, Dean Koontz, John Saul, JK Rowling, RA Salvatore, Julie Garwood, Amanda Quick/Jayne Ann Krentz/Jayne Castle, Catherine Coulter, Jude Devereaux, Judith McNaught, Stephen King, Sidney Sheldon, VC Andrews... the list doesn't really stop so I should lol.

Right now I am reading "On the Road," by Jack Kerouac. It's amazing! It's probably the third time I've read it.

Anyone of you guys over there ever heard of Walter Moers?
He is a german writer, but I just found out many of his books are already translated into english...
so if anyone likes phantasy, a bit like Terry Pratchett, only better, look out for his Zamonien (Zamonia?) books..

I just finished "The city of dreaming books", Rumo also is great, Captain Bluebear not the best, but good, too...

Middlesex by Jeffrey Eugenides
and
Perfect Nightmare by John Saul.

Not much time to read lately though.. too busy enjoying summer.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom