Just wondering ... what is everyone reading now?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'm reading two books right now. Adored by Tilly Bagshawe and Lovers & Players by Jackie Collins.

I'm always reading.....
lately, I think, just to get away from real life! lol

the latest: started the Sharpe's series by Bernard Cornwell. Starts in 1809 and follows an English Lieutenant's career against the French.

also have read: "Fields and Pastures New" and currently reading "A Friend of the Flock" both by John McCormack. Tells of his first years as an Alabama country veterinarian. similar to James Herriot's stories.

The Earth Is FLat. You had better read it!!

Kathy Reichs is a hometown person--very interesting person. She has certainly launched a career.

Gretchen said:
Kathy Reichs is a hometown person--very interesting person. She has certainly launched a career.

I really enjoy her books. I like to read Canadian authors when I can. I gather she is like her main character in that she also commutes between Virginia and Quebec. I read all of Gail Bowen's books too. Wonderful for anyone who has spent any time in Saskatchewan, she describes all the places so well and with such affection.

Has anybody read The Thirteenth Tale by Diane Stetterfield? It was reccomended by Barnes and Noble, but I was debating wheter or not to wait until it came out in paperback.

I do that also, Raven, - read books sometimes to find out why everyone raves about them, --infact, even when I don't really care for the book from the getgo, I'll still continue to read thru to the end, as "must" see if the book improves as it goes along, (when everyone has praised it so highly) --or to find out if I really didn't like it at all, even when I'd read the entire book :)
That was how it was with the first book in the Mitford series by Jan Karon. Just could not see what everyone was raving about! But kept on reading, as found it hard to believe that I didn't care much for it, after all the praise. I got so annoyed at Father Tim for not being able to make up his mind, re the romance.
But I did begin to like the book, and read most of the series one after the other, and really loved them. So am glad I persisted, but it took a long time for me to get into that first book in the series.

I just finished The Lost, A Search for Six of Six Million by David Mendelson. I could NOT put it down.

Right now I am reading all of Deborah Crombie mysteries. They are about Scotland Yard Superintendent Duncan Kincaid and his partner Sergeant Gemma James. I have them all but one, hopefully I will find that one this week.:rolleyes:

"Cross" by James Patterson
"Glenda of Oz" ( I'm re-reading all the OZ books )
and I just got " The Nasty BIts " by Anthony Bourdain. I've only read a few pages but so far so good.

I'm starting back to college this upcoming week after 5yrs of being away. I suspect I'll be reading lots of textbooks for the next few years... :wacko:

Finished a year of Engineering, but I'm going back for Business. Hope to finish with a bachelors in business and an associates in science & mathematics.

Up until now it's been cookbooks, and manuals on various equipment & procedures for my current field of work.

Raven, Catcher in the Rye was required reading when I was in the early years of high school, and was considered quite scandalous (we had to have parents' permission to read it). I haven't read it since, but was quite unimpressed when I was 14 or 15. I've been thinking of revisiting it to see if it had more value than I remember, but you've convinced me not to bother. So many books, so little time! After struggling through more serious fare, right now I'm just doing light murder mysteries ... candy for the brain. I'd just finished a memoir/autobio about generations of Chinese women, and several other very, very boring (the former was not) bios. It amazes me sometimes how people who have lived very fascinating lives can manage to make their lives boring once they start writing! I'm also reading, aloud, a philosophy/ecology book to my ladies, so some light stuff is overdue and in order.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom