Just wondering ... what is everyone reading now?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Currently reading Sue Grafton's 23rd Kinsey Milhone outing W is for Wasted, and enjoying it. I'm about one-third through and can tell Ms. Milhone is headed for deep waters. A homeless person has died (apparently natural causes) and the only thing the coroner found was a slip of paper with Milhone Investigations and the phone number. The coroner contacted Kinsey who knew nothing about the person nor after seeing the body had never seen him. She's between cases so she decides to occupy her time trying to find out who this bum was. Questioning his friends (homeless people are loathe to give up any information about anything) she finds out his first name and that he served time, allowing the coroner to narrow it down and discover his identity. Meanwhile Kinsey has befriended one of the bums who wants her to help him recover the dead man's backpack from another group of bad bums. They recover the backpack after barely getting away from the bad bums, and discover a safe deposit key (unmarked) which lends credence to a rumor that the dead man had money. Equipped with a letter from the coroner and her PI license she starts visiting all the local banks, and finally discovers the correct bank. She and the coroner return the next day and get into the safe deposit box. To Kinsey's surprise the dead man has a deposit book with almost $600K, and a will appointing Kinsey as executor and leaving all the money to her!

It turns out that the dead man is a distant relative, perhaps a second cousin or something. Kinsey is an orphan raised by her grandmother who refused to discuss Kinsey's family so this is a complete surprise to her.

It turns out the man served about a dozen years in prison for a crime he didn't commit, and was exonerated and released, he sued and settled for the $600K. He intended to reacquaint himself with his ex-wife and children but they refused to have anything to do with him, even knowing he was innocent!

So at this point in the story Kinsey has to visit the man's ex-family and inform them they have been disinherited of $600K which has instead been left to Kinsey. Pretty awkward, eh? :)

Sue Grafton started her Kinsey Milhone series with A is for Alibi and has followed the title format up to now her 23rd novel in the series. I'll admit the series isn't for everybody but if you're interested, start with A although W seems to stand on its own except you won't know the back story of the other recurring characters.

I'll bet money Grafton will write X, Y and Z in the next few years, and retire. :)

I started reading those ages ago Greg. Made it about half-way through the series and then found them to be too predicable and quit somewhere around the M-N-Os. Our son got me the Q one for Christmas the year it came out and it sits unread on my bookshelf. I bet you find them interesting no matter what the story though since you live much closer to where they are set than I do. I know that is part of the reason I love the Les Roberts "Milan Jakovich" books because of their Cleveland setting. Another is that they are just darned entertaining.

I also quit with the Janet Evanovich "Stephanie Plum" books because of their predictability...except every one in a while I wonder if Max is still alive. :huh:

I too got bored in the middle of the series, perhaps M-N-O, but IMO Grafton started writing better as the series progressed past that, she got better at plot twists, better at subtly increasing the element of danger and suspense as the novel progressed.

The current novel is progressing according to that form, and the suspense gets better every page.

Now let's select another author to pick on: Patricia Cornwall. I used to be a big fan but her books got more and more stereotyped until finally I just took her off my "must read" list.

Just a heads up for you urban fantasy fans:

"The Undead Pool" by Kim Harrison is due for release on February 25th:
51BsYWCZT1L._SY344_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

"Night Broken" by Patricia Briggs is due for release on March 46th:
51Hm2evpYYL._SY344_PJlook-inside-v2,TopRight,1,0_SH20_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

ref=sr_1_1

Reading a classic "Something Wicked This Way Comes" by Ray Bradbury. After some of the "fluff" books I've recently read, this one is sufficiently creepy and the writing is of course top notch.

Ray Bradbury is on my personal "do not read" list. I read one story by him about 35 years ago. It was "There Will Come Soft Rains" and it scared the absolute crud out of me! Now with all of these electronic controls for your thermostat like the Nest "Learning" thermostat, and the fact that Google search knows what I'm looking for after I type the first two or three letter of a word, I'm afraid that my house will take over!:ohmy:

Ray Bradbury is on my personal "do not read" list. I read one story by him about 35 years ago. It was "There Will Come Soft Rains" and it scared the absolute crud out of me! Now with all of these electronic controls for your thermostat like the Nest "Learning" thermostat, and the fact that Google search knows what I'm looking for after I type the first two or three letter of a word, I'm afraid that my house will take over!:ohmy:

I so love to read Bradbury.

I'm still enjoying Sue Grafton's W is for Wasted.

Next up:

tEQ4AZA-embrace-the-night_tn.jpg

Embrace the Night by Karen Chance, in her Cassie Palmer series book #3

Recently named the world's chief clairvoyant, Cassandra Palmer still has a thorn in her side. As long as Cassie and a certain master vampire - the sizzling-hot Mircea - are magically bound to each other, her life will never be her own. The spell that binds them can only be broken with an incantation found in the Codex Merlini, an ancient grimoire. The Codex's location has been lost in the present day, so Cassie will have to seek it out in the only place it can still be found - the past. But Cassie soon realizes the Codex has been lost for a reason. The book is rumored to contain dangerous spells, and retrieving it may help Cassie to deal with Mircea, but it could also endanger the world.

Himself pointed out that I'm a little late for the season on this one, but I started Donna Andrews' "Duck the Halls" yesterday. Would have gotten it sooner but it took a while to remember Donna had a new book out this past year. It's OK, I just ran across another Christmas decoration I missed when putting them away last month! :LOL:

Dad just loaned me Tim Conway's biography "What's So Funny?" Can't wait to crack it open. He was at BGSU when my dad was there in the 50's and grew up in the same area that I did (Chagrin Falls, OH was the "next town over" from where I lived).

Dad just loaned me Tim Conway's biography "What's So Funny?" Can't wait to crack it open. He was at BGSU when my dad was there in the 50's and grew up in the same area that I did (Chagrin Falls, OH was the "next town over" from where I lived).

Thanks for that mention...now I know what to pick up for Shrek. He loves Tim Conway (so do I) and he will enjoy it.

Just got done reading Aunt Dimity and The Village Witch by Nancy Atherton, now I am reading Death Of Yesterday by M.C. Beaton.

I've been reading... er.... listening to (it's an audio book) "The Road to Burgundy: The Unlikely Story of an American Making Wine and a New Life in France" by Ray Walker.

It's a great true story about a young man whose dream is to make wine in France. He leaves his job in finance behind, packs up and starts a new life in Burgundy with a paltry $6000 in savings, no business plan, no winemaking knowledge, and knowing very little French. On top of that he also has a young family. Through a lot of persistence and dumb luck, he manages to become the first American to ever make Grand Cru Burgundy.

Wonderful story, although he also goes into painstaking detail about all the mistakes he made along the way. There are times as a reader you want to grab this fellow and shake some sense into him. :LOL:

I'm trying a new author by the name of Jo Nesbo. The Bat is the first in the Harry Hole series. Just started the book but so far so good.

I'm intrigued by the Cheese Shop Mysteries. That sounds like something right up my alley. Of course, I would have to stock up on cheese to really immerse myself properly. =o)

A few days ago I came across my childhood copy of "Huckleberry Finn". Read a few pages and remembered why I hated it as a child. Odd, because I loved Tom Sawyer. So Huck is now in the charity shop box.

I'm trying a new author by the name of Jo Nesbo. The Bat is the first in the Harry Hole series. Just started the book but so far so good.

New to you, of course. :) I've 'discovered' the Nordic authors and like almost all of them, the Harry Hole character included, even though he's a bit too 'down' at times.

Enjoy.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom