Mexican food night.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Thought I'd pass on the way I do my chiles, I don't like to deep fry so, I fooled around with a tempura batter, anaheim,or poblano chiles and pepper jack cheese. This is what I came up with. I just buy a box of tempura batter mix, mix to package directions, then slice my chiles the long way, remove seeds and ribs..I then dry them and dip into the batter and place face up like a boat on an oiled baking sheet..I don't worry if they touch. I then slice up the pepper jack cheese and fill the boat with it. Put into a 400 oven and bake til cheese is melted and batter is golden around the edges., Getting ready to go out for dinner but will post my recipe for the black bean dip when I get back if anyone wants it..

kadesma:)

Dinner was a huge hit! Red chile/pork were perfect! The green chile/chicken/cheese needed garlic salt in the mixture and definitely more cheese. I know the cheese didn't melt out but you could barely tell there was any in there. Dh highly approved, telling me to pack him 8 for work tomorrow!:pig: Also he practically insisted on a constant supply in the freezer, I'd have to say I agree but we'll see if I can manage.:-p Now I just need to have my dessert and I'll be happy!

Good!! I'm glad it all turned out. Now, If mine turns out as good. Sis has a steamer pot, so, I don't have to go out and buy one. Is everyone else ready for dinner??

I've recently heard from someone, who lived in Mexico for the last two years, that though Mexico is famous for its peppers, most mexican meals don't contain them at all. They are researved for special meals, and used sparingly. The person stated that true mexican meals are far, far different than what we would expect. Americans tend to think tex-mex is true Mexican cuisine.

Does anybody have a genuine sampling of true Mexican recipes, the stuff that the average citizen would make in their home? If so, then I would be ecstatic if the recipes could be posted.

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Well, I got everything out and was about to start and the phone rang..Youngest daughter, having mild contractions so everything is on hold for now..Baby was due the 29th. of Jan, so we shall see...I just might go ahead, but not sure yet..Everyone have a wonderful dinner. Sorry I had to back out. NUTZ If nothing happens, will go ahead..I'm not excitied at all !!!

Kadesma... I think daughter having a baby is a pretty good excuse for backing out.

Good luck and Congrats! Keep us up dated.

smiles and hugs, T

Pds,Texas, will let you know :LOL: Right now just waiting for the call to come,stay, run,:ROFLMAO: Ethan was 3 weeks early so, let's see what litle Olivia does...Hey Texas, she would love tamales, the girl loves to eat..Dh always looks shocked on sundays at the amount she can put away and even tho pregnant, still looks small from behind..Pds, I hate backing out, but, will make the meal when she gets home from the hospital, or in the next couple of days..The baby just might decide to WAIT:ROFLMAO:

thought of dessert yet?

There's some really good looking flan recipes in the Desserts Thread (the part underneath) that would go well with all the great Mex food being prepared tonight.

sorry, couldn't get the link to copy here

Thanks Cora, I'm excitied..We had a little scare at the first sonnagram and had to just hold our breath til the second one..Doctor said everything ok then, but, I'm still worried and will be til our litle Olivia is here and we can see and have the doctor reassure us.

Well, the tamales have been going since 3. Hopefully, I didn't put too much masa on them, but, I think that I did. Oh well, as long as they are done by 7 when the new movie comes on. I've got the salsa made and I'll start on the queso and sour cream enchies at 5. Can't wait!

Just finished assembling our chickie enchiladas using Barbarainnc's gravy.

Barbara, you are right. The sauce is equal to, if not superior to, the canned stuff by Ortega et al. I'm thinking of using beef stock/broth instead of chicken next time I make beef enchiladas.

No presentation, sorry.
Here's my dinner. The tamales came out moist and good. A little too much masa, but still good. The enchilada casserole came out yummy too. The guacamole was good. All in all, it was worth all that cooking!!

Attachments

• enchie.jpg
    enchie.jpg
    264.5 KB · Views: 211
  • tamale.jpg
    tamale.jpg
    223.8 KB · Views: 221
  • tamale2.jpg
    tamale2.jpg
    157.5 KB · Views: 197
  • tamale3.jpg
    tamale3.jpg
    237.2 KB · Views: 208
My Mexican peppers turned out pretty good, but after my husband came home and reseasoned them, they were a lot better. I never get the filling quite hot enough. I hope you all will try them.

:)

Your tamales look good tg! How were they? I wasn't sure how thick my masa should be when I was mixing it together. I noticed your recipe said the consistency of thick peanut butter but you were using oil and I was using lard, so I figured mine should be thicker than yours right? It wasn't really spreadable, I ended up just pressing it into the masa with my fingers. I pressed it thinly, we'd rather have more stuffing than masa. I don't think there was enough salt in my masa, it only called for 2 tsp and instead I think I threw in 1 TBS of garlic salt, along with some chile powder & paprika. I should have used more but I was kind of winging it. I called my mom last night and told her all about this project and she said "You have a two year old running around and a new baby and you made tamales?!" I think she was very impressed!

What do you all say for a greek weekend coming up? I'll start a thread if you are interested? I've got to say I'm really liking these!

They were good, Corazon. They had too much masa,imo. dh and the boys loved them though. I guess there is a trick to keeping the masa on the husks. I had to use my hands too. I'll have to call my nephew in law and ask him.

I have never had greek before, as far as I know. What kind of stuff is greek?

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom