Monday dinner, August 28, 2023?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
You mean the spinach being raw and in the salad I hope, LOL? It's the only way I like cranberries, the dried ones and in salad with a bunch of other stuff or by themselves. I don't do cranberry sauce and stuff like that, yuck. I know, I am the weird one. I have always been a little bit...different.
There are a bunch of "odd" flavours in cranberries that can easily be unpleasant. But, I love this recipe for fermented cranberries. They get delicious and only slightly sweet.

I need to make these again.

Dinner tonight was at Jack in the Box when I went into town to the laundromat. A sourdough burger. Our power went out about 2pm and didn't come on again till 9:30 at night. Now I'm worried about the dairy and the chicken breast I had in the fridge.
Unless you were opening the refrigerator multiple times, things should be fine. Take a whiff of the chicken. Trust me, you'll know if it's bad.

rodent, and if you're still unsure even if it still smells good, don't be afraid to rinse it down and wipe it over with lemon juice.
Also for those who will come back with "dont' wash chicken!" I advise you not to lick your counter, faucets or cupboards until you can sterilize them and you should be OK. ;)

taxy, that cranberry recipe looks rather yummy. How long did it take for fermentation to complete?
If I remember correctly, I got impatient and opened the jar at about six weeks. It never really looked like it was fermenting. But, the magic had happened.
My problem with that is the cloves and ginger. Star anise is sort of ok depending how it's used.
Choose whatever whole spices you like. That was just examples of which optional spices you can add. I don't think I added any spices, juice, or zest and they were still really good. I did it a couple of years ago and stupidly didn't write any notes.

If I remember correctly, I got impatient and opened the jar at about six weeks. It never really looked like it was fermenting. But, the magic had happened.

Choose whatever whole spices you like. That was just examples of which optional spices you can add. I don't think I added any spices, juice, or zest and they were still really good. I did it a couple of years ago and stupidly didn't write any notes.
I could see a fermented cranberry juice with no spices or just a little citrus. But isn't it rather tart? I mean, commercial cranberry juice generally has sweetener (the kind I mix with my vodka).

I should think the honey that is fermenting it would help with the tartness.

Going to try and remember to start some end October or so. Should be interesting.

Wash, pierce/crush abit, cover in honey, optional spices, wait.

"How easy is that!"

Going to try and remember to start some end October or so. Should be interesting.

"How easy is that!"
I'm thinking orange would make a nice mix. Maybe I will try a small batch to see how I like it.

I made a small batch to see if we would like it. We did like it. No, it isn't tart, but it isn't very sweet either. And I'm going start a new batch as soon as fresh cranberries are available for an acceptable price. I have enough unpasteurized honey.

"How easy is that!"
The hard part was trying to keep the cranberries from floating to the surface, above the weight. I eventually gave up and just turned the danged jar every day.

I made lamb and rice stuffed grape leaves with avgolemono sauce and salad using our garden cucumbers and tomato.

20230828_184143.jpg

I made lamb and rice stuffed grape leaves with avgolemono sauce and salad using our garden cucumbers and tomato.

View attachment 65753
You are making me drool. I'm planning on a supper salad for tonight. I may just open up a can of dolmades to have with the salad. I'm not often a big fan of canned foods, but these are really good. They are better than the ones I have had in *some* restos.

That's o
cranberry.jpg
dd, since other people can see it. Here's the "recipe" on the site where I got it. Get it ASAP. She has changed it before. It was much clearer In the previous version. She sells her fermented foods. She doesn't seem be all that interested in having people spread her recipes.

Oh well I missed it. It looks good though. I love cranberries.

There is no actual recipe.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom