Simplest Oriental dish?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Many of them, at least the Asian-American versions, are easy once you get a basic understanding of the traditional ingredients and the everyday substitutions for some of those ingredients.

I would start with a basic stir fry using thinly sliced meat, fresh vegetables and soy sauce, sesame oil, sherry, ginger, cornstarch.

“Oriental is an adjective used to describe rugs, not people.” - David Paterson, former Governor of New York

Simplest at home, egg drop soup.

Simplest main dish for home cooks, fry-roast chicken.

LOL - does not the OP's title and post imply that? ;)

To my way of thinking - the simplest recipe would have to be a recipe even a complete novice could do. That's what makes it simple!

Many years ago, our wonderful Kayelle shared a recipe that I have made over and over. It is so simple and very addicting. Sesame Noodles.....simply delicious.
Those sesame noodles really are easy and deliciously addictive. I should make another batch soon. It's also handy, because you can serve it room temperature.

I have not made this yet but I think it was posted awhile ago. I've seen a couple of Dragon Lady's recipes and all have been good. Now with CMT I can note and remember to make odd recipes I come across more often (CMT compliments of taxy, tto whom I say thanks again)

Which I have now just discovered I had already saved :rolleyes: :blush:

Something I've been eating since my teen years, when I'd go out to Chinese restaurants with my parents, and they used to put a plate of those quick pickled cucumber sticks, to eat while checking the menu. I had to learn how to make those, and someone told me how they did it, in broken English, but she told me how. The only thing that really made it Chinese was the slight drizzle of sesame oil.

To make them, peel the cucumbers, unless you have some w/o wax, then cut lengthwise, scoop out the seeds, then cut into strips, about 3/8" wide, then into sticks, 2-3" long. Put into a mason jar (or other jar that seals well), and put 1/4 c each sugar and white vinegar (for about a pint of sticks), and 1/2 tsp salt. Put the lid on, and shake, to dissolve the sugar. Let sit a few hours, while doing other things for the dinner, shaking several times, to coat the "pickles". I often make a quart of these, and use 1/2 c each of the sweet and sour ingredients, and put it in the fridge, the day before. And here's something I've started doing in recent years - I spin them dry, in the salad spinner! This dries the sticks, so the sesame oil, and hot oil, if you like it (about 1/2 tsp each, for 2 cucumbers), sticks to the sticks! This probably took me longer to type in, than it takes to make, not including the pickling time. I

Last edited:
Original recipe

I basically doubled the recipe, added shrimp, chopped cashews and cilantro. Of course, this took it out of the budget category, but it only increased the time less than 10 minutes, and it was great. In fact, it's been a while since we had this and we need to have it again.

The lower spicy ingredient amounts are comfortable for me to eat. The higher amounts are just below my tolerance but okay for my chili head hubby so use accordingly.

10 oz. lo mein noodles
4 Tbsp butter
3/8 to 1/2 tsp crushed red pepper
12 (or more) medium large shrimp, shelled and tailed
3 large eggs
3 Tbsp brown sugar
3 Tbsp tamari or soy sauce
3-4 Tbsp sriracha
Large handful fresh cilantro, coarsely chopped
3 green onions, thinly sliced
1/2 cups coarsely chopped, then toasted cashews, peanuts or macadamia nuts

Start a large pot of water boiling for noodles. Once boiling, add salt and noodles, cooking as directed on package. Drain in a colander when done.

Meanwhile, for the sauce, mix the brown sugar, tamari or soy sauce, and sriracha together in a small bowl. Set aside.

In another small bowl, whip the eggs with a fork until well blended.

In a large skillet over medium heat, melt the butter and add shrimp, cook for a minute or so then add the eggs and stir until eggs and shrimp are almost done. Add the sauce ingredients and mix well. Remove from heat and stir in noodles. Serve garnished with cilantro, green onions and nuts.

Those sesame noodles really are easy and deliciously addictive. I should make another batch soon. It's also handy, because you can serve it room temperature.
I love that they are good hot, cold or at room temperature. An easy summer dinner has been a rotisserie chicken with those noodles and a simple cucumber salad.

@dragnlaw Make them......oh, so good.

@pepperhead212 That sounds great. I need to give it a try.

@medtran49 I love BudgetBytes. Her one-pot meals are spot on.

I think it is considered insensitive or even offensive when referring to a person or people or culture since each country has its own customs. As far as referring to food, the preference may be to use the word Asian. However, not all on here are from the same area or even speak the same language. I've not run into anyone who tries to be deliberately offensive here, so I tend to go with basic definitions of word choices from others without trying to read anything into it. The definition of Oriental is "of, from, or characteristic of Asia; especially Eastern Asia." Many still say "Oriental Rugs" for example.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom