The perfect steak

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Angie

Head Chef
Monday is our anniversary and I plan on getting some natural beef steaks this weekend....not sure what cut yet.

Anyway, our grill died so I will be pan frying these for our anniversary. Tips? Suggestions? We like them medium. I usually have no problem with pan frying steaks but I always end up cutting into them to make sure they are cooked right...I know you need to let them rest for a bit but that kind of defeats the purpose if I've already cut into them.

Also, my hubby wants to marinate his in buttermilk, since our buttermilk marinated chicken is so moist....

I've never heard of marinating beef in buttermilk. Anyone else?

Last edited by a moderator:
By natural do you mean organic?

If you are getting organic that should be a big automatic no to buttermilk on the steaks. You should give the steaks nothing more than a generous crack of black pepper and a sprinkling of salt just before they go in the pan.

I test my steaks by comparing the feel of the meat to the feel of the different areas on the palm of my hand. In your case, since you like them medium I would follow this guideline;

Medium - touch your thumb and middle finger together and press the fleshy part of your palm below the thumb - there's some give and it's springy to the touch. A medium steak will feel the same.

And yes you should really avoid cutting into the steaks to see if their done, all those lovely juices will escape. Cook them with a minimum of disturbance (you really should only turn them once) and let them rest for a bit before serving.

Thanks for the info!

Organic, no, can't get them here (amazing enough since I'm in Iowa), but All Natural is the closest I can get too...basically, non certified organic! It's Limousin beef, if that helps any.

Why the "no" for buttermilk? I need something to back up my story to hubby. Personally, I like my steak with Kosher salt and that's IT!!! He constantly needs to add extra "sauce" and flavor to his food!

The reason I said no to the buttermilk is that the flavour of organic meat (and beef in particular) should be enjoyed as simply as possible in order for the flavour of good quality meat to speak for itself.

I would even be reluctant to serve a sauce on it (not counting a pan juice sauce, this does not include gravy though), although I would be more inclined to do so rather than marinate the steaks.

I agree 100%....good beef should be enjoyed just like that. He, on the otherhand....well, lets just say he eats NOTHING plain!

You don't need buttermilk to make good beef moist. It has internal fat that does that for you. It helps with chicken because chicken is naturally lean and prone to being dry. Besides, I don;t think it will do the flavor of the beef any good at all.

Bring the steaks to room temperature and sear them in a very hot pan. Season them with salt and pepper only.

Thanks Andy. That's what I was thinking....makes me crave steak right now....I prefer a pan fried steak over a grilled steak...

Beef should be grilled hot, turned and taken off and enjoyed. DO NOT MARINATE a good piece of tender beef.

Gretchen said:
Beef should be grilled hot, turned and taken off and enjoyed. DO NOT MARINATE a good piece of tender beef.
:ROFLMAO: Now, can you tell that to my husband???????

You have the best advice already. Let's reiterate:
Room temperature steaks.
Just some salt and pepper. (No buttermilk. Nothing!)
Hot pan.
Sear steaks. Turn over once.
Check for doness by pushing on the base of your thumb or time it.
3 minutes each side should produce medium rare.
4 minutes each side medium.
Let stand.
Pour juices from pan over steaks.
Enjoy!
Then your hubby can add on all of the steak sauces he likes. But you will give him an oportunity to enjoy a bite or two "al-natural" so to speak. Perhaps if he tries a good natural steak he will enjoy it from then on. Who knows.

I get much better results a different way.

I take steaks out to get to room temperature, and i generously crust them with COARSE cracked black pepper. Let em sit for 20 mins or so About 10 minutes before i start cooking, i rub down the steaks in olive oil and kosher salt.

By then they should be room temperature. I get a steel skillet scorching hot, drizzle with oil, then sear the steaks for 1:30 on each side.

I then transfer skillet to a 450 degree oven to finish. For a one inch thick steak, maybe 3 minutes. For a two inch thick steak i go 7-8minutes.(filet mignon)

The way I cook my steaks:
1 - I have the butcher (or pick-out) cut me an extra thick piece(s) of at least
an 1"! (Sometimes even more! Depends how flush I am.)
2 - I get them to room temp.
3 - I rub them with a little oil.
4 - I rub them good and press in McCormick's Grill Master. Which is just
crushed black pepper with other things. You can do it all your self with
what you want, and sometimes I do add more garlic and other stuff.
5 - I use the grill with wet muskeet woods which adds a lot of flavor.
6 - I get the wood smoking good and the grill hot.
7 - On go the steaks. I leave them alone, except to turn them a quarter way
on that side to get grill marks. Then over on the other side do the same.
8 - Timing is up to you the way you like them. I like them "Pittsburgh" style.
That means crisp and crunchy on the outside and rare on the inside!
(I learned this in Philadelphia.)
The crunchiness and crispness really seals in the juices. When you get
them off the grill, leave them alone awhile so the juices can really do
their thing inside! If you cut them too soon all of the juice will run out, so
leave them for a bit of time. They will be Delicious!
9 - Enjoy!

I bought some really nice ribeyes about a month ago, and experimented using different rubs, and searing the steaks in a pan with a bit of olive oil and then finishing the steaks in the oven. If your husband doesn't want his steak plain, this might be an option.

I am ashamed to say that the best at home on the grill steak I've made was with a set of rib steaks that were around 1" in thichness, and warmed to room tempature with the use of "Montreal Steak Seasoning" and good EVOO for an hour prior to hitting the charcoal grill. Goes great with a baked potatoe, or roasted potatoes on the grill.

The shame part is using a pre-made seasoning. Fresh ground pepper corns, garlic, and a salt (when using salt seperately A Kosher or sea salt is best).

Temp is 135 if you like med rare. Rest the steaks under a foil tent for about 10 minutes before slicing.

Casper.

I just got some steaks and am trying this new Master marinating red wine with garlic sauce... it says to marinate the steaks in the sauce for a couple of hrs before cooking. Hope it turns out well!

Why do you leave the steak out before you cook it? I was always told that you shouldn't let beef get to room temperature because of possible parasites.

I did it once on a very hot pan and extra virgin olive oil...(bad idea, i know). And I triggered my fire alarm... I did another one on lower heat, came out quite well, mediumish, but I like em bleeding... Anyway to overcome the smoke? Don't use olive oil? O_O

Anyway, i like to rub some salt, pepper, mustard and garlic powder on my steak. It compliments without taking away any of that steakyness we like so much, as far as I can tell...

EDIT: To the question above. If I am right, leaving it to come down to room temperature helps during the cooking. Too cold and the steak will burn on the outside, while the inside remains uncooked when cooked on a really really hot pan. If you want it medium-medium rare and worry about parasites, try cooking it at medium-high heat right out of the fridge (the higher, the rarer). It will take longer than 1-3 minutes a side and you have to be real mindful or it will become overcooked. Forget a crispy outside unless you like it REALLY raw.(it might be cold INSIDE as well)

Last edited:
biev said:
Why do you leave the steak out before you cook it? I was always told that you shouldn't let beef get to room temperature because of possible parasites.
Ardor gave you the right answer. You do not want the internal temp to be too cold or the steak will be cooked too much on the outside and not enough on the inside. Leaving the steak out for a half hour to an hour will not do any damage. What you do not want to do is let is sit out for 2 or 3 hours.

Well I cook mine a lot different than most of you, I prefer new york strips over just about any other cut of meat.

2 strips of similar size in baking pan
Worshistar* sauce to coat just the bottom of baking pan
1 clove of garlic
Salt/Pepper/Cumin/Chipotle Chili Powder rubbed on steaks both sides
1 tsp of liquid spoke

I let sit for awhile in refrigerator,right before cooking lightly coat with olive oil

I cook most of my steaks medium rare and people tend to come over on the weekends to my house wanting steaks :)

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom