Venting on a Happy Note

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Someone had their thinking cap on when they figured out to use the same key for all the elderly housing.

It doesn't matter if it is California, Florida or Alaska and Hawaii. Same key. It is nice and comforting to know that someone can reach you if you can not help yourslef. :angel:

I feel a lot safer here. Non-residents have to show ID to a guard and sign in 24 hours a day. They also have to include the resident's name AND apartment number they are here to visit.

Had a wonderful day today, First got a call from a DC member it felt so good to talk with her, she is a dear. Then we had dinner at my daughters home for Ethan's birthday. My beautiful boy is 8 years old today. It's hard to believe he is 8 already. Getting hugs and kisses from Ethan and his sister Olivia just made my day.
kades

So I have discovered a previously untapped addiction...

Vintage small appliances. Last week I bought a vintage Kitchenaid mixer (from the 50's most likely). Then a hand mixer from the same era.

Today I was in a thrift store and saw an old Dormeyer stand mixer and I was instantly drawn to it. It looks just like the one that My great grandmother owned, maybe slightly newer. It was $3 and IT WORKS! It was missing a bowl, but I snagged it. I went to a thrift store down the street, and my eye catches a milk glass bowl that looked just like the bowl for my great grandmother's mixer, so I snagged it for $2.50. Take it to the car and it fits perfectly on the mixer! I took her home and gave her a good cleaning and here she is!

dormeyer.jpg

Last year I was heartbroken when my mom said that my great grandmother's mixer had been left in the basement and rusted, so she threw it away. When my great grandmother needed around the clock care, my siblings and I would take turns staying with her between the time that the nurse left and when my grandmother came to spend the night. I would cook her dinner, she had almost no appetite, but one thing that she would always eat was lemon meringue pie. So at least once a week while staying with her, I would make her that pie, using the old Dormeyer mixer. I'm glad to have this even if just for a display piece, it brings back good memories!

Last edited:

Vintage small appliances. Last week I bought a vintage Kitchenaid mixer (from the 50's most likely). Then a hand mixer from the same era.

Today I was in a thrift store and saw an old Dormeyer stand mixer and I was instantly drawn to it. It looks just like the one that My great grandmother owned, maybe slightly newer. It was $3 and IT WORKS! It was missing a bowl, but I snagged it. I went to a thrift store down the street, and my eye catches a milk glass bowl that looked just like the bowl for my great grandmother's mixer, so I snagged it for $2.50. Take it to the car and it fits perfectly on the mixer! I took her home and gave her a good cleaning and here she is!

dormeyer.jpg

Last year I was heartbroken when my mom said that my great grandmother's mixer had been left in the basement and rusted, so she threw it away. When my great grandmother needed around the clock care, my siblings and I would take turns staying with her between the time that the nurse left and when my grandmother came to spend the night. I would cook her dinner, she had almost no appetite, but one thing that she would always eat was lemon meringue pie. So at least once a week while staying with her, I would make her that pie, using the old Dormeyer mixer. I'm glad to have this even if just for a display piece, it brings back good memories!

I have a bowl exactly like yours. I too found it in a thrift shop. I use it for letting dough rise. That is a great find.

dormeyer.jpg

What a find. You've given me a wonderful smile . Thanks for making my day.
kades

Welll gang for once I didn't have to dance with the nurses!!! Had my perm cath removed Tuesday..HIPPPPP HIPPPPP HOOOORAY I can now get in the pool,the tub or shower It's been so long I now feel like a new person. The dialysis nurses can do just my arm of course that didn't go well wednesday. My arm works better if they go up on it, yesterday the went down and it had been working great I came out swollen and black and blue I was so tired I slept all day and night. I'm still sore but I'll live...Just wanted to let you know.:)
kades

Welll gang for once I didn't have to dance with the nurses!!! Had my perm cath removed Tuesday..HIPPPPP HIPPPPP HOOOORAY I can now get in the pool,the tub or shower It's been so long I now feel like a new person. The dialysis nurses can do just my arm of course that didn't go well wednesday. My arm works better if they go up on it, yesterday the went down and it had been working great I came out swollen and black and blue I was so tired I slept all day and night. I'm still sore but I'll live...Just wanted to let you know.:)
kades
That's FANTASTIC!!!!!

kadesma said:
kades

Freaking AWESOME!!! So happy for you Ma!!!

Hoping they'll figure it all out and get it right!

Last edited:
kades
w00t! Glad to read it.

Boo on those nurses.

My very large nice Kenmore microwave convection oven lost its interior light around 15 years ago, it's 25 years old now.
I like it a LOT. I use it for dehydrating too.
Trim pieces came off last year.
The handle broke off this year. I can open it by putting my fingernails in the crease at the top and pulling it. Everything on it works just fine.

I looked at replacing it and it was going to cost me $350 to $1000.:rolleyes:

I found one, the exact same one on craig's list today, for $25, it's perfect!!! I'm thrilled! I pick it up tomorrow at 11! Be happy for me!

My very large nice Kenmore microwave convection oven lost its interior light around 15 years ago, it's 25 years old now.
I like it a LOT. I use it for dehydrating too.
Trim pieces came off last year.
The handle broke off this year. I can open it by putting my fingernails in the crease at the top and pulling it. Everything on it works just fine.

I looked at replacing it and it was going to cost me $350 to $1000.:rolleyes:

I found one, the exact same one on craig's list today, for $25, it's perfect!!! I'm thrilled! I pick it up tomorrow at 11! Be happy for me!
w00t!

Funny how we get an appliance that has served us so well, and when it starts to break down, we just don't want to get rid of it. Glad to hear the good news. :chef:

Thank you for being happy for me!!

It's perfect. Owned by two doctor students that were moving, owned it for 4 years, and I bet the convection oven part was never used and it was clean as NEW!!! No dehydrating trays--but I bet they never needed them. I can see above the liner in the top, the liner is to protect the fans and heating elements from food spray--that fan is bright shiny aluminum looking--not even a smoky or spattered residue on it.

I don't even have to 'learn' to use all the buttons, they are exactly the same as my old one.
I'm happy because of the money I saved and it's just kind of a miracle to find it! Someone was looking out for me!

Thank you for being happy for me!!

It's perfect. Owned by two doctor students that were moving, owned it for 4 years, and I bet the convection oven part was never used and it was clean as NEW!!! No dehydrating trays--but I bet they never needed them. I can see above the liner in the top, the liner is to protect the fans and heating elements from food spray--that fan is bright shiny aluminum looking--not even a smoky or spattered residue on it.

I don't even have to 'learn' to use all the buttons, they are exactly the same as my old one.
I'm happy because of the money I saved and it's just kind of a miracle to find it! Someone was looking out for me!

What a stroke of luck to find exactly what you wanted, Bliss - and such a bargain! Happy Happy!

Back
Top Bottom