What are you Baking Today?|2016

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I made the almond and chocolate biscuits/ cookies and it wasnt that sweet and went perfect with all the rest of the sweet stuff.

More pepparkak dough in the fridge for Sunday. Yay

I baked cream cheese and jelly thumbprint cookies.

I've never heard of such a thing but I love all sorts of thumbprint cookies. Is this something you invented or is it commonly known? Tks.

My fave is a mixture of Robertson's ginger marmalde + crushed pecans + minced red or green preserved, sugared peel. A Christmas specialty in my household even tho I'm not a great baker. :LOL:

My aunts and mom made rosettes at Christmas when I was a child. They were drizzled with honey (I think they added lemon or anisette to the honey but I'm not sure) then shaved chocolate and sprinkled with powdered sugar. When mom passed her irons had disappeared. Along with so many other things of hers. :(

I miss the rosettes AND Struffoli.

I may also mix up a batch of dough for peanut butter and jelly thumbprint cookies.

Last edited:
I boiled and mashed potatoes today so I can make lefse Tomorrow.

In addition to two batches of krumkake, I made a batch of raspberry jam thumbprints with homemade seedless raspberry jam.

I made a batch of Parmesan and Herb Cheese Puffs to be filled as an appy. Whiska, it is lefse making day up North tomorrow, too. A friend is coming to learn how, so we will make a batch of lefse, followed by rosettes, and bake off the sandbaklese. The only thing left for me to make are Norwegian sticks (forgot about those) and rolled sugar cookies. I am moving onto appys and any other things I can prep in advance. I am sitting-on-the-fence about another batch of krumkake...Would you mind sharing your recipe--I'd like to compare it to the one we use up North.

Last edited:
On a learning curve today. Dug out a few bread baking books from the garage. Might try a recipe from Artisan bread in 5 min a day. Don't know if that's the correct way of working with this new thing.

https://www.amazon.com/Banneton-Pro...spons&keywords=banneton+proofing+basket&psc=1

I've never used a Banneton before.I have 2 now. :ohmy:
Oh, what to do on a rainy day? Bake.:yum:

I have two also! I asked for them for Christmas last year and so far I've only used the round one. It seems to work fine. Mine didn't come with the cloth cover, so I use a tea towel.

It's cold here and so we're having soup for dinner and biscuits - big fluffy hot steaming buttermilk biscuits.

biscuits.jpg

Well, heck, I got home too late to bake today. But tomorrow I'm making a pound cake and putting in some ricotta cheese. I have a recipe for the whole thing, but I found the pound cake mix and decided to just add the appropriate amount of ricotta.

Question for you, do you bake them upside down (folded side down) and then flip them 1/2 through? I always mist mine with a water to which I have added baking soda when I flip them if I am making pretzel Kaiser rolls. Just curious how you do it? I hand fold mine, no Kaiser stamp here.

Nope, I knot them and put them like this on the pan to bake. I do brush with beaten egg for a nice shine and browning.

today I made two loaves of oatmeal bread for the freezer and some herb cheese bread to go with the homemade marinara and meatballs.

Some of the cookies I put out last night. The tiny squares are the pepper nuts. The lone powdered one is Pfeffernuesse (Mom already ate 2).

Attachments

• Cookies_Dec_2016.JPG
    Cookies_Dec_2016.JPG
    40.9 KB · Views: 101
I baked cream cheese and jelly thumbprint cookies.

I've never heard of such a thing but I love all sorts of thumbprint cookies. Is this something you invented or is it commonly known? Tks.

My fave is a mixture of Robertson's ginger marmalde + crushed pecans + minced red or green preserved, sugared peel. A Christmas specialty in my household even tho I'm not a great baker. :LOL:

No, thumbprints have been around for a long time. Hershey's Kisses, M&M's, jam, nuts, etc. They all make great thumbprint cookies.

Some of the cookies I put out last night. The tiny squares are the pepper nuts. The lone powdered one is Pfeffernuesse (Mom already ate 2).

CWS, I am glad to hear that your mother is eating your goodies. Sounds like she is doing better during the holiday time.

CWS, I am glad to hear that your mother is eating your goodies. Sounds like she is doing better during the holiday time.
Thanks, Addie. Her appetite is good, her mood is good, and her level of interaction is good. I am pleased.

I have changed her schedule and have been having her 'help' with baking. I also have been making sure she takes an afternoon nap. This means that when the caregiver comes, she gets her changed, then Mom eats, and then we sit in the living room listening to music until about 9:30. I then get her changed and ready for bed. I finally twigged to getting her in bed between 6:30 and 7 was probably not a great idea. She's not TWO as she tells one of the caregivers if she's talking to her as if she doesn't understand. I haven't really gotten a handle on her dementia. She signed a condolence card the other day--signing her name was something she hadn't been able to do for months. The stroke she had is more of an issue than the dementia, IMO.

I am glad to hear that she has caregivers. It gives you a break. Don't let yourself get overtired.

It sounds like she may just be able to participate in some of the holiday activities.

I know all of this has been very draining on you, but in the end, you will be counting your blessings because you were there when she needed you most. You are building happy memories. For her, your father and yourself.

Lots of love and caring coming your way!

I'll admit to having a few fall-back boxes of quick bread mix on the supply shelf. I brought up a Pillsbury pumpkin mix and added raisins and walnuts to it to dress it up. For just a couple minutes of work, we had a snack tonight and breakfast for tomorrow. Now if we can just lay off of it and save some for get-away day on Monday...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom