What are you baking today?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
What an innovative idea. I have to ask...just how expensive is edible gold dust? I can't imagine putting a precious metal on baked goods, although my BIL used to drink something called Goldschlager (sp?) that had gold leaf floating in every bottle.

Hi Joe. Thanks. The gold dust is actually part of my cake decorating supplies. I have silver as well as many regular colour "dusts". When I am decorating I put a couple of drops of vodka (because it is clear, evaporates quickly and is for the most part odourless) in the cap and brush some dust into it. That way, what is left dries onto the lid and you don't waste it.

It is about $8.00 for approx. half an ounce but that surprisingly goes a long way as you usually just use them for highlighting. Oh, and they are totally non-toxic.

And it wasn't an original idea. I adapted a recipe from a Better Home and Gardens link Pie Susan posted last week.

I'm not familiar with Cortland apples. What would you use to substitute? We used Granny Smiths in our Thanksgiving pies and I thought they were too tart. Of course, I might have gotten the one pie that had the lemon peel...

abcdude, i'll hve to ask my wife. i remember that she no macintoshes or granny smiths. she did mentioned that she chose 3 apples that weren't too sweet or tart, and aren't mushy when baked. sort of firm, middle of the road apples.

uh oh, don't use road apples...

abcdude, i'll hve to ask my wife. i remember that she no macintoshes or granny smiths. she did mentioned that she chose 3 apples that weren't too sweet or tart, and aren't mushy when baked. sort of firm, middle of the road apples.

uh oh, don't use road apples...

LOL..Don't worry..all the local road apples are perfectly safe from me:ROFLMAO:

Ps..abc is a dudette

Ask and you shall receive! Gold Dusted Mocha Shortbread Stars. They were a hit at our ladies' Christmas tea today. Yes, Smoke King OUR church ladies were impressed! The picture doesn't really show off the gold well.

Beautiful!!

Not that I"m rushing out to buy any..but where would one find gold dust?

Beautiful!!

Not that I"m rushing out to buy any..but where would one find gold dust?

I get it from my cake supply store. Michael's MAY have it, but I doubt it. Though your Michael's may have more cake decorating supplies than ours do here in Canada.

I used it on my suitcase cake to make the locks and corners look like brass. (My cake pictures are on my profile if you don't know what I am talking about).

Ooh that stuff messes you up JoeV. *shudder*

I'm baking a dump cake today

Middie (and Joe) there is actually so little gold in the "dust" that it won't do any harm. It is a really fine powder and they add magnesium (I think) to make it digestable. I wouldn't eat, or drink, gold leaf, but this is more just a colouring.

Middie, I :heart:LOVE:heart: Dump Cake!!! My Grandma taught me to make it when I was about 10 and I have even made it at camp and for catering functions where it is always a hit. I sometimes make some cinnamon whipped cream to go with it!

I am hoping to get caught up on my Christmas baking today. Hopefully will get three batches of cookies and a pound cake done today. I always bake for my MIL as her Christmas present as they are in California and don't get back until Friday and the family dinner is Sunday. I am also baking for some special friends too!

I want to make some kind of cookie to take to David tonight but haven't decided what kind yet... I'm thinking oatmeal.

I'd like to prepare a Tirmisù for my boyfriend buy I feel so sick that I'll go to bed...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom