What are you doing?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
It didn't occur to me to count, but I'd guess we got 60-70.

I completely forgot about an extra bag of mini Snickers I left in the kitchen. Now we have to eat it. Argh.

:ROFLMAO:

Hi JoAnn. :)

Wow, we ended up with only about 30. A record low for here - it got cold and windy early in the evening, so that probably played a part in it.

It didn't occur to me to count, but I'd guess we got 60-70.

I completely forgot about an extra bag of mini Snickers I left in the kitchen. Now we have to eat it. Argh.

:ROFLMAO:

I love mini Snickers. That's why I didn't buy them....:LOL::ohmy: I still ended up with leftover candy and I DON'T want it in the house. :wacko::LOL:

You know, my master gardener group is having a Christmas cookie contest/swap at our Christmas party. Maybe I can figure out a way to use them in cookies :LOL:

:yum: There is always a way. :LOL: My SIL loves Reeses Peanut Butter Cups, and one year she had a surplus of them - she quartered them and used them in place of jelly in shortbread style thumbprint cookies. They were a hit. :chef:

We had one, thinking this was USA, last I checked I was in Sweden and this is not our tradition.

We had about 30 kids come to the door, mostly from our complex or kids that used to live here. It is a relatively safe place so people bring their kids back here which I love as I get to see them grow up even though they aren't around.

We originally were not going to be home - we were going out to TB's brother's place as they are doing their Halloween light shows there now (no restrictions as he has a house and we have a townhouse). But neither of us were feeling great so we stayed home.

I rushed out to get some candy and was surprised that there was anything left...and on sale!

What kind of geese were they and what kind of prices were they asking?

It ws an auction. Regular white geese went for just over $20 apiece. Brown Africans sold for over $50 apiece. USD. There is a lady who lives by me that has whites AND Africans. She said I could buy them from her for 20 apiece so I'm going to go that route.

Thanks Jon, interesting to know popularity and pricing in different areas. Geese are not a popular fowl around here. There are lots of breeders in Ontario thou. That's were I got mine. I have American Buff. They are the least aggressive and I wanted them to free range.

Had to stop that - they were wrecking havoc on the gardens and pipe for the propane! Not to mention they thoroughly cleaned my old van of all rust and paint bubbles. Once (or maybe twice?;) ) I had to rescue my neighbour across the road, they were all sitting on her doorstep and wouldn't let her out. It sort of became imperative when they started working on the air valves of any tires they came across.

Herding them home across a country highway was interesting, nobody believes in speed limits out here and I live on a blind corner to boot! :LOL:

This is from a couple of years ago, I arrived home to .....

img_1485897_0_9296278b12ddd8b2b768a9afb46b3ea3.jpg

Another reason for lock up... Goose Poop on the front Stoop... yech!:ermm:
:LOL::LOL:

They look like they're standing on one foot.

:LOL: They are!

They stand like that to keep one foot warm, tucked up all nice and cosy in the warmest feathers in the world - Goose down - then they change feet.

They don't mind the cold at all. It's cute to see oval melted spots in the snow where they've hunkered down and melted it.

You know, my master gardener group is having a Christmas cookie contest/swap at our Christmas party. Maybe I can figure out a way to use them in cookies :LOL:
Funny you mention this. A friend just sent me her very favorite cookie recipe.

Hi Beth!
Thank you again for a great day...I enjoyed our time together!!
Here's the cookie recipe I mentioned over lunch:
2 1/4 cups flour
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
3/4 cup butter softened
1/4 cup peanut butter
3/4 cup brown sugar
3/4 cup sugar
2 tsp vanilla
2 eggs
3 cups chocolate chips
3 cups snickers candy bars ( cut lengthwise down the middle, then cross cut so you have little squares 1/2 inch or so)
Mix the dry ingredients* (set aside)
Cream together well the butter, peanut butter, and the sugars then add vanilla Next,* add eggs one at a time beating until creamy.
Add the dry ingredients to the egg mixture. Once blended, add chocolate chips and snicker candy bar cut pieces.
Portion dough in accordance with the size cookies you want. Roll each cookie dough portion in sugar and place on parchment paper. Bake at 350°F (baking time depends on how large you make the cookies).
Enjoy! ☺

Last edited:
Funny you mention this. A friend just sent me her very favorite cookie recipe.

Hi Beth!
Thank you again for a great day...I enjoyed our time together!!
Here's the cookie recipe I mentioned over lunch:
2 1/4 cups flour
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
3/4 cup butter softened
1/4 cup peanut butter
3/4 cup brown sugar
3/4 cup sugar
2 tsp vanilla
2 eggs
3 cups chocolate chips
3 cups snickers candy bars ( cut lengthwise down the middle, then cross cut so you have little squares 1/2 inch or so)
Mix the dry ingredients* (set aside)
Cream together well the butter, peanut butter, and the sugars then add vanilla Next,* add eggs one at a time beating until creamy.
Add the dry ingredients to the egg mixture. Once blended, add chocolate chips and snicker candy bar cut pieces.
Portion dough in accordance with the size cookies you want. Roll each cookie dough portion in sugar and place on parchment paper. Bake at 350°F (baking time depends on how large you make the cookies).
Enjoy! ☺

Perfect! Thank you! And I have Christmas-colored candy sprinkles to make them look festive :santa:

Dragnlaw, love the geese but know what you mean about the poop. When I worked in the city I had a nice walk from our rapid transit to our offices via a path that runs along a body of water called False Creek (that looks more like a pond). Anyway, all the business women who went that way, including me, started wearing runners to work and taking our heels to work (or leaving a pair there). The Canada geese were all over the place and so were their messes. Plus you had to make a wide circle around them when they were protecting babies because they were known to attack.

They are a protected species (and nice to see) so not much could be done about them. I ended up going to the next station which was not that much longer of a walk.

Beth, I am going to hijack your cookie recipe! I need something to donate to our youth group's silent auction and they know most of my more creative recipes. I wanted to do something different and this could be it! I just have to ask if peanut butter is okay.

My back yard and deck are fenced in so I shouldn't have to worry much about that. They have the whole farm to run on. Lot and lots and lots of grasshoppers that need to be eaten around here.

Muscovy Ducks

Jon
Your chickens and ducks will be good for grasshoppers, geese not so much. If you really want to decimate the grasshoppers get some muscovy ducks. They're wonderful for insects!

Sorry CG

Cooking Goddess's dream did not happen this time. Her Indian's lost the World Series. But what a game. The seventh game went into 10 innings. The Chicago Cubs won.

Do you realize that it is most likely that there is no one alive today who remembers when the Cubs won their last World Series?

Sorry CG. Fans like you are far and few between. The Indians did put up one heck of a fight though. Right down to the wire.

Back
Top Bottom