What are you doing?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
You're a good friend Farmer Jon. That's impressive damage. What does "widow maker" mean in this context?

Widow makers are broken limbs hanging down from a tree that could fall unannounced and kill anyone standing below. The term assumes men are the ones who would be standing under a damaged tree.

Widow makers are broken limbs hanging down from a tree that could fall unannounced and kill anyone standing below. The term assumes men are the ones who would be standing under a damaged tree.
Thanks Andy. Some men call themselves "widows" because the word "widower" is kinda clunky.

Folks like to think that God will judge them when they die. I have always felt that God is judging us as we live. For folks like you and your friends, He has already made His judgement and made a place for all of you in heaven.

Amen to that, Addie.

Hope that all the fathers, single mothers, and people who are thought of as fathers in people's hearts have a wonderful Father's Day!

My fifth child is one of seven kids, yet an only child. I left his father when he was just a one year old toddler. So growing up I used to tell him, since I was both mother and father to him he owed me a gift for both days. Some years it worked and sometimes it didn't It worked less and less as he grew up.

Need to get dressed and head over to Dad's house. See what he wants to do today. I already gave him his present (an AllView rear view mirror for his new pick up) a couple of weeks ago. Decided it was silly to have it hanging around in a box when it could be in use.

After seeing recent discussion about ginger ale/ginger beer in the beer thread, I decided to make some. I'm hooked. It's not nearly as sweet as store-bought. I made the syrup without sugar, just add honey to taste when I make a glass.
http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/homemade-ginger-ale-358033

And we've been cleaning up after a nasty storm last night, some say it was a tornado. My poor little vegetable garden got all but smushed after being pummeled by near-golfball size hail. We're lucky, only a few little branches and lots of leaves, most here had a lot more damage. Trees and big branches down, a chiminey blown off, a pop-up trailer blown over and trashed. And the folks in town got a lot worse. Lots of chainsaws running today.

Last edited:
Just got back from J.C. Penneys. Had a $10 coupon off any thing over $10. Thought I would use it and get a new bra, well much to my surprise they have a sale if you bought one you got another one for 1 cent and I was able to use the coupon too. Good deal especially with the price of bras now days.

Wow Dawg....sorry to hear about all the damage from the hailstorm! Holy cow. Every now and then we get spring hail here, but it's less than pea-sized - even then it sure can be noisy. :)

Thanks Ross and Cheryl. It was some storm! I wanted to watch, but we went to the basement anyway.

JoAnn, congrats on your two-fers!

Last edited:
I'm glad to read you didn't have serious damage. I think you need some kind of periscope for watching the storm from the basement.

Thanks, Taxy. Heh. Wouldn't have been able to see it anyway, the rain came down like a waterfall.

Our little town pulled together, and even though it's Father's Day, people were offering help with chainsaws and hauling.

Nine years ago, when I had the kitchen remodeled, I bought a nice Delta faucet. I liked the idea that there was a lifetime warranty and all I had to do was call and they'd ship me new parts. After a while, that got to be less appealing as I was the one who had to crawl under the kitchen sink and do the repairs. As the need for new parts was becoming more frequent, I decided to opt for a new faucet.

So today was spent dismantling the old faucet, spray, soap dispenser and installing the new one. I'm getting too old fro this crap. between my back and knee, I was in pain all afternoon. Glad it's done.

I'm keeping the yard maintenance guys supplied with cold water - it's almost 6:30PM and 112F. I left a message earlier about a couple of blown sprinkler heads, but made sure to say it could wait until they were back in the neighborhood again. They insisted on coming over, they said they didn't want me out in this heat hand watering. :wub:

I see a nice bonus and some more homemade goodies for them in the near future. They've been taking good care of my yard for almost 15 years now. I don't know how they do it 12 hours a days in the summer, covered from head to toe to keep from getting sunburned, and still stay so polite and more than willing to go the extra mile.

Last edited:
Sitting here playing on the computer and waiting for the mailman. I have a package coming and get the alert on my phone and computer when it is delivered. I need to sweep and wash the floor in the big room. But sitting here is more fun.

I took Teddy out for a walk. My legs are all cramped up. As soon as I got off the elevator, I took my shoes off and carried them to my apartment. I now know taking him out, from here on in, is out of the question. Pirate is not here and won't be back for a couple of hours. And Teddy was eager to get out to do his thing.

Waiting for Mom to get up so I can start breakfast - homemade French Toast today. We try to have it 1x a week. It's a change of pace from the roasted potatoes, sausage or kielbasa, and veggies we usually have.

Back
Top Bottom