What are you doing?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Sitting on my newly painted and cleared off porch.

Heading back to work after a 12 day quarantine.

Today was also a do nothing and chill day for me.

Spent a good portion of quarantine painting the house. Still a ways to go.

Need to get back to work to get some rest.

IMG_0788.jpg

Got all of my Mother's belongings packed into the back of our SUV,
with just a smidgen of room left for our suitcase and coffee-makin's
:LOL:

IMG_0789_LI.jpg

This is what the morning brought on our last day in California :ermm::ohmy::glare:
The smoke has gotten so bad from all of the fires that all of
us have the reddest eyes I have ever seen!

If they're honeybees, you should be able to find a beekeeper in your area who will remove them for free and rehome them.
I finally remembered to contact my neighbor up the street who had backyard bees and hive boxes until he was relocated to San Diego for a year by his company. He's looking to raise bees again, so he came down to check out what we have. Those aren't bees, they're wasps. [emoji15] He wasn't interested in adopting them, nor in removing them. I put a note up on our development's Facebook page to see if anyone has recommendations.

I don't know if any of them smiled for the camera...
Screenshot_20210825-214428.jpg

I finally remembered to contact my neighbor up the street who had backyard bees and hive boxes until he was relocated to San Diego for a year by his company. He's looking to raise bees again, so he came down to check out what we have. Those aren't bees, they're wasps. [emoji15] He wasn't interested in adopting them, nor in removing them. I put a note up on our development's Facebook page to see if anyone has recommendations.

I don't know if any of them smiled for the camera...
View attachment 48444

Oh, yeah, that's a wasp nest.

Have you considered putting up a fake wasp nest? I have read online comments from people who did and it was still deterring wasps ten years later. While doing a DuckDuckGo search, I came across a number of articles. I liked this one: https://www.gardenandpatiohomeguide.com/everything-you-need-to-know-about-fake-wasp-nests/

I also came across articles saying that they don't work. I would do it. It's non-toxic and inexpensive. Some people say they have had luck just using a brown paper bag that was tied with a string around the top and hung up.

A couple of years back, we had a wasp nest in the ground out back. It was half way on our side of the fence & half was on the neighbor's side...with exits on both sides. Our poor Stanley (Cardigan Welsh Corgi) got curious about it, that's how we found out about it. Those things get up in the dogs coat & they keep biting and biting. Each one can bite many, many times. So, I called the local exterminator & they came out and took care of it for about a hundred bucks. Well worth it! They had to suit up & use special stuff to freeze them or something Hubby wanted to take care of it himself, I vetoed that. The exterminator said it was a good thing, as they get agitated just from the vibration of the ground when you walk NEAR it. I called the neighbor and told them to keep their dog, cat and kids away from the area for a while!

Up north at the cottage one year we had one under the top tip V of the roof. Too far away for us to do anything about and they didn't bother us so we ignored them.

But speaking about vibrations, when my husband was up there with a chain saw doing something (truth to tell I don't remember what or why) but...

even with the saw going, suddenly he looked up to see a stream of them zipping up over the edge of the roof. They all just hovered, staring at him.
He froze with the saw still going and stared back - not knowing quite what to do.

and then they just left!

we figured they didn't think he was a threat to the nest so let it go. He finished his job undisturbed.

Would have been interesting had they decided otherwise. 2 hours to the nearest hospital for either broken bones from a fall or stings or possibly both! :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

I had something related happen last Friday - I came home from a friend's house, where I had been for about 6 hours, and found 6 dead hornets on the floor in my living room, plus two barely alive! Fortunately, none flying around. How did they get in? Where did they get in? Is there a nest in the house? I had to figure this out quickly! After checking just about everywhere, I figured out that the fireplace was the source - despite the damper seeming to close tightly, they must be getting in there. The ash hole was even tighter sealed outside. There was one hornet barely moving in there, so I sprayed it with a natural, but deadly spray, consisting of clove, cinnamon, and several other essential oils; I also sprayed around the damper, and sealed off the fireplace as well as possible, and the next day I looked outside, and they were hovering around the top of the chimney, as if there was a nest there. Still none showing up inside any more, fortunately! So I found local exterminator that a friend had used, and set up an appointment, but they seemed to disappear by the time he got here on Wednesday (I could have gotten a quicker appt., but we know how those extras get charged for emergencies or weekends!). The fellow said that he had never seen anything like this before! The only European hornets he's seen nested in trees, and there are none near my chimney. He said since it was raining that day, maybe some went into the chimney, to escape the rain, but he was just guessing. Since none are hovering there anymore, like the day after, they probably went somewhere else to nest. Hopefully, not nearby! The worst experience I ever had with these kinds of insects was when I hit an underground yellow jackets nest, with a roto tiller! Stung me 23 times! I'm lucky I'm not severely allergic! I watched from a distance, as they went back to their nest holes, and at night I poured some 20% acetic acid down the holes. Never saw another one, though I watch closely for them.

LOL - and out come the memories!

One evening moving 3 horses from one paddock to another. All 3 standing at the gate while I tried to put on their halters but they were dancing around slamming their hooves on the ground.

I realized why, backed away and "Off you go boys! come back in 1/2 hour!"

Ground nests are easily disturbed and they move... luckily!

Another time a friend and I were clearing brush for a trail. She started jumping around and slapping at her T-shirt (black). Even the dog was whipping around biting herself. I was the only one not stung. 3 of us jumped on the ATV and scooted out of there. They were gone the next day - but the dog wouldn't come with us - LOL

Last edited:
And more memories.

I was at Girl Scout camp one summer, and I was in a tent with "mean girls". Apparently they knew there was a bee nest on the ground in back of our tent. They threw one of my socks back there. When I went to get it, I was attacked. When help finally came and took me to the nurse, the total sting count was 26 on one leg and 25 on the other. I, too, was lucky I'm not to be severely allergic.

And more memories.

I was at Girl Scout camp one summer, and I was in a tent with "mean girls". Apparently they knew there was a bee nest on the ground in back of our tent. They threw one of my socks back there. When I went to get it, I was attacked. When help finally came and took me to the nurse, the total sting count was 26 on one leg and 25 on the other. I, too, was lucky I'm not to be severely allergic.
Wow, msmofet. Teenagers can be so vicious. They don't really understand the full consequences of their actions, but that doesn't help much in a situation like that.

I was out checking the horses one morning and saw a new wasps nest on the shelter.

Then they all attacked. I ran, stepped in a small hole, wrenched my back and leg and was down for 3 days.

They got a good dose of spray and I didn't feel very bad about it.

I was out checking the horses one morning and saw a new wasps nest on the shelter.

Then they all attacked. I ran, stepped in a small hole, wrenched my back and leg and was down for 3 days.

They got a good dose of spray and I didn't feel very bad about it.

Some years back, we invited friends over for supper. It was about this time of year, so we were going to eat outside. I went to move the stack of patio chairs (we hadn't actually eaten outside yet that summer). Well, there was a wasps nest under the bottom one. I got about a dozen stings on face, ears, and scalp. I am not allergic to anything, but I puffed up. The pain calmed down quickly enough that I served supper in the dining room.

Now usually, I'm all for nature and don't want to kill anything. But, I was at the hardware store buying was wasp spray the next day. DH got all dressed up in winter clothes, face covered, sunglasses, gloves, hood on the coat up, ends of sleeves ductaped to the gloves, socks over the bottom of his trousers. You get the picture. He went out after dark and sprayed the heck out of that nest from the recommended 10 metres away. I didn't feel at all bad about that. They frickin' attacked me. I felt worse about poor DH having to dress up in winter coat, etc. in summer.

We are officially out of the Wagyu production business. Our client has out grown our facility and the cost to expand is just too much right now. On the up side we now have a nice empty barn to park trucks in.

I'm down in our basement right now, wine to my right side and the TV with local news and weather to my left. I got a tornado alert on my phone around 4:15 saying that there is a tornado warning for our area until 5:00 AM. I think I'll read my book until then, or maybe a little later...

I'm down in our basement right now, wine to my right side and the TV with local news and weather to my left. I got a tornado alert on my phone around 4:15 saying that there is a tornado warning for our area until 5:00 AM. I think I'll read my book until then, or maybe a little later...

Sorry to hear that. Stay safe.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom