What are you doing?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Is that where you work? Don't mean to pry, but just confused why you wanted to contact them and how it helped you get things done.

I hope you get a chance to usefully use that extra time. Are you making good use of the free time? How?

She had to contact them to get her old gov't insurance cancelled because she has new insurance now. She mentioned it yesterday... right in this thread I think. It shouldn't be too far back.

I just finished lunch, a BLT and the rest of the oyster stew.

Is that where you work? Don't mean to pry, but just confused why you wanted to contact them and how it helped you get things done.

I hope you get a chance to usefully use that extra time. Are you making good use of the free time? How?

I began my federal service many, many years ago with the FBI and then, later, at a secure naval facility. I haven't worked for Uncle Government for a long while but Buck did for his entire career. As a result, I was covered by his health insurance even after I became a widow. Now I'll be covered under Glenn's plan.

I've been retired since 2009 and only work when I wish. Yeah!

As for using my extra time, I have been "playing" in yeast dough making English muffins. Trying out a new recipe or two or four.:angel:

She had to contact them to get her old gov't insurance cancelled because she has new insurance now. She mentioned it yesterday... right in this thread I think. It shouldn't be too far back.

I just finished lunch, a BLT and the rest of the oyster stew.

Oyster stew! dang it. I've had such a hankering for some lately, but the local stores aren't cooperating. I LOVE oyster stew! I want/need some now!

I see why patience is a virtue, but... Grrrr.

By the way, Pac, thanks for the update. I missed the original situation somehowl

Last edited:
Because there was an el-cheapo fridge in the apartment that was more than 30 years old and the same with the stove...the owner replaced the stove. He agreed to replace one or the other. His el-cheapo fridge now sits in his garage and I bought my own up to date fridge. A nice Whirlpool that is perfect for us, the shelves are tempered glass and come out to wash.

My deep freeze is another story, it's almost 50 years old and runs like a top. The brand is Coronado!

Mass. has a law that all landlords have to provide a safe, in working order, stove for every residence. And that includes the selling of a house. I lived in one apartment where the pilots on the gas stove kept going out. He was trying to tell me that I was blowing them out. He kept fiddling with it and nothing helped. When I insisted on a new stove, he threw a tissy fit. I ended up calling the Health Dept. and the Housing Inspection Dept. He got a hefty fine. Had he cooperated in the first place, he could have found a working safe used stove. As a result, he was forced to buy a brand spanking new one. Residents have to provide their own fridges. Although some apts. come with one. :angel:

Last edited:
Really! Coronado? Never heard of it.

I thought about buying a smallish freezer, but my final thought was that I needed to be able to live within my means. I mean, think about it. How would I ever use all of it up? That would be wasting food, and Mom would not approve.

It's a challenge, living within my means, but I'm starting to feel proud of myself that I'm actually able to do it and still enjoy the foods I crave.

I have the same problem Z. I have been doing very little cooking for myself. I find myself buying more for what I can make for my kids, than for myself. I went shopping this morning and as Spike was putting the groceries, he kept asking, "What's this for? You never bought this before?" I never buy salt pork, brownie mix, and so many other foods in my cart. They were all for the kids and their requests. Two months ago I bought a family pack of chicken thighs, two large steaks, and a family pack of Italian sausages. Most of them are still in the freezer. When preparing them for the freezer, I made them up in packs of twos. Most of the time I only eat one. I am going to have to change my ways of preparing meats for the freezer.

I bought a round loaf of Italian bread. I toasted one piece and cut it in half. Sliced up a tomato, and with mayo, made myself a sandwich. I then cut the half sandwich in half again, and could only eat half of that. One chicken thigh with a small baked potato. More than enough for me. My freezer never is empty though. I wish I knew why I can't eat a full meal like other folks. :angel:

Really! Coronado? Never heard of it.

I thought about buying a smallish freezer, but my final thought was that I needed to be able to live within my means. I mean, think about it. How would I ever use all of it up? That would be wasting food, and Mom would not approve.

It's a challenge, living within my means, but I'm starting to feel proud of myself that I'm actually able to do it and still enjoy the foods I crave.

Apparently Coronado were made in the beginning by Admiral and sold in Gambles stores. We got ours from a friend who upgraded to a larger one, he sold it to us (it was already 25 years old then) for $20, 22 years later it's still humming away.

The small freezer allows me to go in with 5 friends every year on a grass fed beef. We trade around until we are all happy with the portions we have. It's a yearly party with us cooking up and eating the t-bones that night.

Apparently Coronado were made in the beginning by Admiral and sold in Gambles stores. We got ours from a friend who upgraded to a larger one, he sold it to us (it was already 25 years old then) for $20, 22 years later it's still humming away.

The small freezer allows me to go in with 5 friends every year on a grass fed beef. We trade around until we are all happy with the portions we have. It's a yearly party with us cooking up and eating the t-bones that night.

Where do you find an iceman these days?
:angel:

what about chicken feet? what are they good for, stock? anything?

The only time I've ever seen chicken feet was when I was working as a cashier in a Chinese restaurant in high school. They would let me have anything I wanted from the menu for lunch (except shrimp and lobster), but sometimes they would say, "You don't want what we're having." I remember going back to the kitchen to get lunch after they said that and looking at what they were eating. There was some kind of grayish, oily liquid with chicken feet in it as part of their meal. I didn't have any.

I guess maybe stock or soup, but I've never used them myself. Oh, yeah, I've seen them in the Asian grocery store in Virginia Beach. Never bought them, though.

I'm presuming you're cooking for more people than just yourself, or is it just for your freezer?

Now that's a thought!

Tell me more, AB, please.

I live alone too, and can't imagine why I'd cook a whole turkey.

Not much to tell, it's just me.

Every year I say I'm not going to bother cooking a turkey for Thanksgiving and every year I find one for a very low price so I drag it up the stairs and toss it into the freezer. I cook a small feast for Thanksgiving, package the leftovers and make some soup stock. It all goes back into the freezer and I have a meal once a week that uses turkey in some way.

I am trying to understand of these very odd blue potatoes. Just when I think I know of all of foods, someone throws the switch and makes of my train of thought to derail!

With love,
~Cat

Cat, You can serve this green cauliflower with your blue potatoes. :ermm::ohmy::LOL:

5385463110_65d4343400_z.jpg

There is a name for things of this in Romanian that will make me become banned.

Uckkkkkkkkkkkk! Is that of real?

With love,
~Cat

It's real!

They used to be quite rare now I see them in the Wegman's grocery produce area.

I have never cooked or eaten one, I think they are beautiful and mesmerizing! :ermm::ohmy::LOL:

It looks of those weird foods that those Klingons eat of Star Trek, or of something floating in the punch bowl of the Addams Family.

I must look of this!

With love,
~Cat

It's real!

They used to be quite rare now I see them in the Wegman's grocery produce area.

I have never cooked or eaten one, I think they are beautiful and mesmerizing! :ermm::ohmy::LOL:

It looks like a clown fish should be swimming around it :LOL:

I think I saw these last time I was at Wegmans. I had to do a double take.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom