What are you doing?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'm trying to type with a big bandage on my thumb. I keep adding letters that shouldn't be there. Last night I was chopping veggies and sliced into the tip of my thumb. Won't stop bleeding. I have 3 band aids on it and the finger of a rubber glove rolled down over it for protection. Hope that stays on while I shower.

I'm trying to type with a big bandage on my thumb. I keep adding letters that shouldn't be there. Last night I was chopping veggies and sliced into the tip of my thumb. Won't stop bleeding. I have 3 band aids on it and the finger of a rubber glove rolled down over it for protection. Hope that stays on while I shower.

Sorry to hear that, Carol. You should get a package of finger cots...

Sorry to hear that, Carol. You should get a package of finger cots...

Until you can get one of the finger thingies, you are going to have to stop the bleeding the hard way. Put strong pressure on the cut for at least 15 minutes. No peaking!

When the nurse in the ER one time ripped the dressing off my hand because she didn't like the way the paramedics had put in the IV, she took a chunk of flesh right out of the back of my hand. That bled for more than 24 hours. I ended up putting a wad of 4x4's and a couple of heavy books on top of them over the would after I got home. I worked. BTW, warm water of the shower will only make it bleed more if you don't get it stopped first. :angel:

Last edited:
I have been having trouble all week with my hip and spine. So I have been taking the Vicodin on a regular basis and sometimes more than the directions call for. I guess the days of taking just one instead of the two at a time are over. I knew that someday it would get worse, but it is really ticking me off big time. There were a couple of days I spent in bed. I couldn't even take one step without pain. It has never been this bad. It is all this dang rain that is causing the problem. :angel:

Yes, I do want to get some finger cots when I go out. It isn't actively bleeding. It's hard to do anything without using your thumb, and when I do something that requires pressing with my thumb, it seeps a little. And that's letting up since last night. It's just going to be inconvenient until it heals.

Yes, I do want to get some finger cots when I go out. It isn't actively bleeding. It's hard to do anything without using your thumb, and when I do something that requires pressing with my thumb, it seeps a little. And that's letting up since last night. It's just going to be inconvenient until it heals.

Give your boo, boo a big kiss. Don't you know Mother's kisses have magic?

I'm catching up here on DC as I haven't been around much for the last several days except maybe to put my 2 cents worth in on the Song Title thread.

Carol, I hope your thumb heals quickly. Yes, you don't know how much you use them until they hurt (or bleed). I have an infection under the nail of one of mine (happens often and I don't know why).

PF, that's great about Shrek's meatloaf! TB will make steaks, chicken, all simple stuff (and only seasons with salt and a little pepper thankfully), but won't get into things where you have to mix it up. He just tells me he'll leave that to me because I make it best. :rolleyes:

Well, I have to go check on TB. He was running a fever again earlier and if he is to call into work (and me to call to get into the doctor) we have to act soon.

I managed to cut into my middle finger with garden shears a few years ago.. a clean cut into the fingertip.. I took a brief look at it and told Frank to drive me to Hospital to get it stitched.. not so bad at all, but I knew at the fingertip it would take weeks to heal...

Addie,
hope you're getting well soon!

While you are getting the finger cots, pick up some of the fast healing adhesive bandages. They work really well. They also get in the way less when you are cooking, etc.

Just doing laundry and household stuff while I'm waiting out a rain delay in Cleveland, pushing back the start time of the home opener. Meanwhile, I might start on prepping foods for snacks and supper tonight.

Just doing laundry and household stuff while I'm waiting out a rain delay in Cleveland, pushing back the start time of the home opener. Meanwhile, I might start on prepping foods for snacks and supper tonight.

Our afternoon games usually start around 3 p.m. But because of all the festivities happening, we started at noon and still was late starting the game. But the ceremonies were nice to watch. :angel:

I'm sitting on the porch soaking up the Vitamin D. Time to head to the back yard and plant some veggie seeds.

Attachments

• 1396649177014.jpg
    1396649177014.jpg
    96.2 KB · Views: 141
Tax, I will look for the advanced healing bandages. Right now DH and I buy different bandages. He buys the cloth stretchy things, and I buy the cheapest generic ones I can find. That's a good thing, because of where my cut is on a weird angle, I have to use 3 of them to keep it covered.

When I saw the price of the finger cots I nixed that idea. My little glove fingers are working out just fine. I have this box of hospital gloves from when I had my surgery and needed all the wound packing. Ok, so it looks like I have a mini condom on my thumb. It's a conversation starter for sure! LOL I'm hoping this is healed in time to cook Easter dinner. People are counting on me.

Carol, the quick heal adhesive bandages seem pricey. But, you leave them on for 2 - 4 days, so you don't use as many of them as the ordinary kinds. They don't get soggy in water.

Carol, the quick heal adhesive bandages seem pricey. But, you leave them on for 2 - 4 days, so you don't use as many of them as the ordinary kinds. They don't get soggy in water.
I wouldn't have gotten through culinary school without them, between burns and cuts. We all used them with a glove or cot over top when we were cooking.

I'm trying to get the energy to get to Costco before the madding crowds. I only have a few items and want to get in and out as quickly as possible. But it is looking more and more unlikely as they opened 10 minutes ago. I'm glad they are only 5 minutes away.

Last edited:
Carol, the reason I prefer the cloth stretch bandages is that they stay on when they get wet. Even living alone and cooking for one, I'm constantly getting my hands wet, so with the plain bandages I have to rebandage all over again and again.

Using the rubber gloves is keeping my bandages from getting wet. I am changing the bandage every day. My cut has reached the ugly stage, but is no longer bleeding. Very little soreness. I wipe it with an alcohol swab, apply some neosporin and put on my three cheapy bandages. I leave the rubber glove finger off for a while until I need to get my hands wet. If I see the least little sign of infection I'm heading for the DR. office.

Sitting up in bed with a cup of tea and a blueberry New York Bagel Company bagel in my hand. The latter sounds cosmopolitan but is actually made on an industrial estate in Rotherham, Yorkshire! The blueberry tastes a bit artificial - in fact it tastes downright peculiar. Don't think I'll buy them again. Decided to have an early night but kept hearing the beginning of really interesting programmes on the radio so it's now 2am!

Night night, all

Back
Top Bottom