What are you doing?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
We have a private well and lately we have treated it, shocked it and so getting our water from a local artisian well for drinking about 5 miles from home. There are artisian wells in many states of the US.
Here is a 'find a spring' for Wyoming. Wyoming « Find A Spring

Unfortunately, all those springs are over 3 hours away. I'm fine with bottled water and boiling for brushing my teeth. I was just letting folks know what I was doing, just like the thread states.

What am I doing?

As little as possible.

I am worn out. Too many days in too many cities. Too many airports, and too many airplanes.

I am too old for this, but also too old to change careers.

Tomorrow is Sunday, so I'll probably get out of bed around noon, and I have a rack of ribs I want to smoke.

CD

What am I doing?

As little as possible. ...
Casey, sometimes you need one of those "little as possible" days so that all the busy days don't kill you. Relax when you can.

I'm considering going on strike in the kitchen. I spend so much time planning meals, buying for meals, fixing meals, and cleaning up from meals that I'm just not getting much done around the house. :wacko: I need to learn how to re-prioritize my priorities.

"The town of Lingle water system has been shut down due to a power failure from a lightning strike such a system failure carries a high risk of fecal contamination or other disease causing organizms that could enter the system. Do not drink the water without first boiling it boiled or bottle water should be used for drinking ice brushing teeth washing dishes that thing or food preparation until further notice. All stored water or ice made recently from tight supply should be discard. Boil your water for three minutes before using. We will inform you when you no longer need to boil your water."
I envy you right now. As in, at least you HAVE water flowing from the faucet that needs to be boiled. I went to wash my hands about 2:00 AM local time...and found out that there was NO water flowing through our pipes. :ohmy: With liquid soap in hand, I ran down the basement steps (or what constitutes "running" for me) to wash and rinse with what little residual water may have been left behind in the pipes. *phew* Clean hands! Called the police non-emergency number - turns out a good number of people have called in tonight. When I last talked to the dispatcher on our way home from a water run to the 24-hour grocery store, she said they had not reached anyone from the water department yet. I guess they ALL turn their phones off when they go to bed. :glare: Someone had better be hunting down this problem by dawn - I want my shower, dagnabit.

From me, too {{{Taxi}}}

Can you take him some food? That would give you something to do and would surely cheer him up. I know it always helped me when DH brought me food in the hospital :wub:
Thanks everyone.

He said not to bother bringing food. It's boring, but not awful. The tea, on the other hand, was atrocious. I asked if I should bring some tea bags and he said that you can't make decent tea with lukewarm water. [emoji33] I visited yesterday and he looked good and feels normal. I am cautiously optimistic.

Thanks everyone.

He said not to bother bringing food. It's boring, but not awful. The tea, on the other hand, was atrocious. I asked if I should bring some tea bags and he said that you can't make decent tea with lukewarm water. [emoji33] I visited yesterday and he looked good and feels normal. I am cautiously optimistic.

Pleased to see this.. :)
Ross

I envy you right now. As in, at least you HAVE water flowing from the faucet that needs to be boiled. I went to wash my hands about 2:00 AM local time...and found out that there was NO water flowing through our pipes. :ohmy: With liquid soap in hand, I ran down the basement steps (or what constitutes "running" for me) to wash and rinse with what little residual water may have been left behind in the pipes. *phew* Clean hands! Called the police non-emergency number - turns out a good number of people have called in tonight. When I last talked to the dispatcher on our way home from a water run to the 24-hour grocery store, she said they had not reached anyone from the water department yet. I guess they ALL turn their phones off when they go to bed. :glare: Someone had better be hunting down this problem by dawn - I want my shower, dagnabit.

Now that would be a problem. At least I have water. Do need to make a water run today, that boiled stuff tastes awful.

CG, if you haven't, turn off your water heater. If it is electric the heating elements can overheat, usually do, when they are not covered in water. Then don't turn it on again until after you are sure it is full again.

Thanks for the suggestion, bliss, but the tank had been empty and still powered up for about eight hours by the time I saw your post. :ermm: I still turned the power off so that cold water wasn't hitting hot elements. Now that I've turned on the waster line to the tank, it should be full. Guess it's time to turn the heat back on! Good thing this water outage happened when the water feed is warm. I can tell a decided difference in tap temperature between summer water and winter water. Washing my fact today wasn't quite as shocking as it could have been in March! :LOL:

FWIW, if the elements do end up with a shortened life span, replacing them is a job Himself can handle. The lower element is tougher to do now that he's a whiskers breadth away from 70, but he can still get it done.

CG, ewwww, well, I didn't notice about your water being turned off and I couldn't know if it was electric, gas, or on demand. You only have to burn out an element once and then invest in the right tool to replace the element, such a bummer. I'm glad yours is okay.

bliss, we have a 40-gallon electric tank. It doesn't take long to heat the entire thing to 120 - about half an hour.

We've developed an exit sequence whenever we go on vacation, right before we get into the car. We turn the heat down in the winter (to about 52) or the A/C off in the summer, turn off the power to the water tank, turn of the water line to the house, dump ice cubes into a plastic bag to use when we get back (keeps them from shrinking and tasting funny), turn off the ice maker...and leave. As soon as we get home I bounce from thermostat to refrigerator, to basement, turning everything back on the way it was before we shut down.

CG, I hear you girl. We have another procedure when leaving the cottage. Fill the cistern. Flush the toilets and turn off the water, then flush and fill with anti-freeze so the pipes don't burst in winter.

I butchered, um, I mean I pruned the shefflera that was taking over the sunroom. That thing was huge!

I'm so excited. My 12 yr old granddaughter Sam is here from out of town, plus 8 yr old Tyler - but he's always here. :LOL: After brunch this morning we went to JoAnn's and I bought a boatload of different colored bottled acrylic paints, various sized brushes, palettes, clear varnish finishing spray, and we're going to paint rocks. :) I'm getting everything all set up, newspapers on the table, etc. :ermm:, and I'm sure we'll have a blast. We'll order a pizza for lunch. I've been wanting to do this with some of the grands for a while and since it's too hot to do anything outside, it seems like a great way to keep them occupied.
http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/f26/painted-rocks-99030.html

Last edited:
bliss, we have a 40-gallon electric tank. It doesn't take long to heat the entire thing to 120 - about half an hour.

We've developed an exit sequence whenever we go on vacation, right before we get into the car. We turn the heat down in the winter (to about 52) or the A/C off in the summer, turn off the power to the water tank, turn of the water line to the house, dump ice cubes into a plastic bag to use when we get back (keeps them from shrinking and tasting funny), turn off the ice maker...and leave. As soon as we get home I bounce from thermostat to refrigerator, to basement, turning everything back on the way it was before we shut down.

An electric water heater... wow, that has to cost a lot of money up North. My gas water heater costs me about ten bucks a month. Air conditioning, or the other hand, kills me.

I also have gas heating, two furnaces, one for the first floor and one for the second. That runs me 30 to 40 bucks a month in the the winter.

I also have two AC systems, and they are running almost constantly right now. I belong to an Electric Co-op (socialized electricity), so my rates are lower than what the "free market" people pay, and my co-op offers rolling averaging, so my monthly electricity bill is pretty constant. But, my rolling average is going up by the month.

Funny thing... my parents are on the "free market" electricity plan, and they feel sorry for me having to get power from a co-op. But, they pay double what I pay, and their electricity goes off any time it rains hard. Mine goes out about once every two years, and it is back up in a matter of minutes. Plus, I get an annual dividend check.

CD

CD said:
An electric water heater... wow, that has to cost a lot of money up North. My gas water heater costs me about ten bucks a month. Air conditioning, or the other hand, kills me.

In the summertime, our electric bill can run up to, or sometimes exceed $200. The only thing in our apartment that runs on gas is the water heater, and in the summer we don’t even need it, except for showers, because the cheap management won’t get the pipes insulated. Our tap water comes out uncomfortably hot, so uncomfortable that you pull your hand away. And it’s much too hot for yeast. Making an ice bath is not possible unless the tap water is allowed to run for 5 to 10 minutes to get it at least lukewarm! That kind of water usage is anathema here in the desert, but what’re you gonna do? Our gas bill, consequently, is usually very small.

Our next electric bill should be a bit smaller this upcoming cycle, though, as Mark hasn’t been home. He likes it very cool, and keeps the thermostat at between 72° and 75° (22.2° C to 29.3° C for youse all across the pond, down undah, or up north, eh). I prefer to keep it at the recommended 78°. (25.6° C), as I tend to be cold all the time. And I don’t like being cold. Although I do like to wrap myself in blankets!

An electric water heater... wow, that has to cost a lot of money up North...
Yes it does! It's the sacrifice we made to switch from the normal install of hot water baseboard heat. The water tank for that also supplies the house hot water. That system is heated with heating oil - right now running about $2.50/gallon. Because we wanted a forced air, ducted sytem with A/C, we had to go with a separate hot water tank - either electric or propane. Either were going to cost, and we didn't want to bother with the propane.

When we head to OH for around four weeks, the electric bill is reduced by about 40% with having the hot water shut off and the two of us not up internetting all night. :D

"The town of Lingle water system is back online. The boil water order has been lifted. The water has tested safe for use again the boil water order has been lifted."

Just purged the pipes and got myself a fresh water, Hooray!

"The town of Lingle water system is back online. The boil water order has been lifted. The water has tested safe for use again the boil water order has been lifted."

Just purged the pipes and got myself a fresh water, Hooray!

Our water comes from manmade lakes, and it is perfectly safe, but tastes bad. In the summer, it tastes really bad. So, I only drink water that has been heavily filtered.

CD

Lingle sits on an artesian spring, the water is good, it was the plumbing system past the pump that caused the problem.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom